• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The only action cues in Fantastic Four that are up to Beltrami's usual standard are "Run" and "Strength in Numbers", seven minutes between them on a 66-minute album. Take those two and the first and last cues and you pretty much have all you need to hear from that score, IMO.

I kinda liked "Pursuit" too but yeah, this wasn't really a film that inspired him. Which I can't blame him for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2015
    No idea what you guys are hearing, I think it lives up to its title. He makes typically good use of themes, the action is epic and there's a strong sci-fi element to it. The latter part of the score really shines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2015
    I just hear 'meh' on all levels.
    But I'm glad you like it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're meh. angry
  1. NP: E.T. The Extraterrestrial (1982)

The original LP recording, IMO one of the finest film music related albums in existence. On a rainy Sunday afternoon there is nothing better.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extraterrestrial (1982)

The original LP recording, IMO of of the finest film music related albums in existence. On a rainy Sunday afternoon there is nothing better.

Volker

One of the best, that album.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

I still don't get Beltrami and what he's doing. I've yet to find a single score of him I like. My search will continue, but I'm beginning to think he's just not for me. His abilities as a composer I don't dispute, but this guy must have a personal pure-hate-relationship to themes. Actual themes that aren't just ideas and bits to drive his droning horror-action mishmash forward.

But there's a big ol' Gothic horror theme right in the opening cue of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark! dizzy

True, it's nice, but what I meant is weaving themes into the actual score. What I find very frustrating is when a composer writes a nice theme and then doesn't use it. Yeah, it pops up here and there, but only in fractions and without any lasting effect to me. At least that's the impression it left me with. I'd prefer Christopher Young's horror scoring over this on any given day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yes, Beltrami can write some superb themes, no doubt about that (SOUL SURFER is fantastic!)

Like all the delicious themes in Hellboy!

I don't know Soul Surfer, and I never listened to Hellboy's score, so no help there. I kind of remember Hellboy's main theme, which was alright, I guess, but I have no memory of any moment during the movie where I went "oh, that sounds nice"... maybe del Toro just kept my attention elsewhere, of course.

I will give you that Beltrami's scores always work nicely during the actual movie (Woman in Black, for instance), in that I don't notice them and still being transported magically into the horrendous or gripping action on screen, but Erik would be one of the first to dismantle that argument if I defended a score I liked against accusations of not being a great listening experience on album with that excuse (like when I defended Winter Soldier as being fantastically supportive of its movie). And that's just it, I don't like to listen to Beltrami out of context (aka outside the movie).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Now that's what I'm talking about, although this now borders on the edge of a thematic overkill (but that's typical for Doyle). Lots of thematic material used in multiple variations to enhance the actual events on screen, not just the credits or a beautiful landscape scene. Makes for an incredibly more satisfying album, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2015
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don't know Soul Surfer, and I never listened to [b]Hellboy's score, so no help there.[/b]

shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u198CZezvxg
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Fantastic themes indeed. Probably the best I've ever heard from Beltrami. I don't know why I didn't notice them while watching the movie. How would you describe their use in the movie itself? Also, I rarely skip the end credits, but maybe we had to leave early or something.

Looking at my collection, for some unknown reason I seem to have almost nothing but horror scores from Beltrami. Maybe that's what got me so biased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Now that's what I'm talking about, although this now borders on the edge of a thematic overkill (but that's typical for Doyle). Lots of thematic material used in multiple variations to enhance the actual events on screen, not just the credits or a beautiful landscape scene. Makes for an incredibly more satisfying album, too.

Despite a phenomenal theme and a couple of standout tracks, I really can't stand that album. Doyle goes bananas with his 'chord-stop' effects (building a chord, then dimminuendo, then another chord and repeat) and small clusters of sound, so it drives me up the wall eventually.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It will be no surprise to anyone at all that this is my favourite Doyle album bar none, pulling out all the stops, and redefining Sturm und Drang for film music scoring. A massive score, huge in scope, sweat and blood pouring out of each pore. Love it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. My favourite will forever be Henry V. A masterpiece!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    My favourite will forever be Henry V. A masterpiece!

I love HENRY V. I'll take ten of those over one FRANKENSTEIN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Captain Future wrote
    My favourite will forever be Henry V. A masterpiece!

Without a doubt. A lot more restrained and so much better for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    A lot more restrained and so much better for it.

Madness. MADNESS, I say!
    There's far too much constraint in film scoring overall. Cry HAVOC, say I, and let slip the dogs of WAR!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I refer to Martijn's signature.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015
    Carlito's Way is Doyle's masterpiece!

The Haunting - Jerry Goldsmith

Such an underrated score (for what was a dire yet strangely watchable film!). Great main theme/motif which oozes mystery in much the way the Basic Instinct theme does, except a paranormal version. Then there's the gorgeous theme for Lili Taylor's character, and the carousal music, plus some great action that builds up to fever pitch in the powerhouse finale to 'Finally Home'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - DANIEL PEMBERTON

The film was a little light on story but oh so stylish and captures the early 60s perfectly.
    As does Pemberton's sublime score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    Carlito's Way is Doyle's masterpiece!

Not his only.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: 12 Monkeys - Trevor Rabin & Paul Linford

The opening suite track is an attention-grabber for me: sounded quite interesting on first hearing. The score does tend to tail off a bit once it gets started proper but there's occasionally a track or two that's worth hearing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015
    City of Fear - Jerry Goldsmith

A really staggering achievement so early in his career. I love how complex, taut and jagged the pared back orchestrations are. Sensational score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    City of Fear - Jerry Goldsmith

A really staggering achievement so early in his career. I love how complex, taut and jagged the pared back orchestrations are. Sensational score.

I haven't heard it yet, but I do know that John Williams plays piano on that one.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    He does Thor, as on a few of those early Goldsmith scores as you'd know.

City of Fear really is a blistering 29 minutes of music. I love it.

Now onto The List of Adrian Messenger from just 4 years later, and it's a masterful, near 5 star score. 'Beagles and Fox' of course is the standout set-piece - and a rollicking cue it is - but the main theme itself is ridiculously addictive. As usual, the variations and uses Goldsmith has in store for both it and the secondary theme are what give this superb score its always interesting shape. Then there's the stand alone love theme which is just gorgeous - he could have built an entire score around this piece yet we hear it just once!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE MUMMY RETURNS - ALAN SILVESTRI

Yeah boy...

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fantastic Four Marco & Philip

I prefer this to Ant-Man, as great as that score is. Ant-Man has a catchier hook (so to speak), but this has the better action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have I said lately that I don't care for either of those?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Mr. Doyle did a wonderful job on this score. Sweeping melodies and grand orchestrations. It ticks all the boxes of a good Patrick Doyle score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    NP: Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Mr. Doyle did a wonderful job on this score. Sweeping melodies and grand orchestrations. It ticks all the boxes of a good Patrick Doyle score.

Excellent score, although all the 'dance music' (polkas, waltzes and what-have-you) in the middle of the album is a bit grating -- as much as Doyle is a brilliant composer of waltzes.
    I am extremely serious.