• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Mr. Doyle did a wonderful job on this score. Sweeping melodies and grand orchestrations. It ticks all the boxes of a good Patrick Doyle score.

Excellent score, although all the 'dance music' (polkas, waltzes and what-have-you) in the middle of the album is a bit grating -- as much as Doyle is a brilliant composer of waltzes.

Which is why I edited those tracks out. Trims the album down by 10 Minutes. It still is 75 minutes long.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Mr. Doyle did a wonderful job on this score. Sweeping melodies and grand orchestrations. It ticks all the boxes of a good Patrick Doyle score.

Excellent score, although all the 'dance music' (polkas, waltzes and what-have-you) in the middle of the album is a bit grating -- as much as Doyle is a brilliant composer of waltzes.

I get you. Most Polkas are annoying to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2015
    Steven wrote
    Fantastic Four Marco & Philip

I prefer this to Ant-Man, as great as that score is. Ant-Man has a catchier hook (so to speak), but this has the better action music.

Some mildly interesting side notes: the very end of Glass's 'Fantastic Four Prelude' sounds like Desplat's Godzilla, and 'Under Pressure' (not the song) sounds like Monty Burns' theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Have I said lately that I don't care for either of those?

suicide
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...just checking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOUSE OF CARDS (James Horner)

What a gem this is!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - THOMAS NEWMAN

A superb score in it's own right but one which rewards much further if you are familiar with the film. A wonderful and very cathartic journey.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

A superb score in it's own right but one which rewards much further if you are familiar with the film. A wonderful and very cathartic journey.

Still his best IMO. Brilliant score to a brilliant film.

I'd love to have heard what he might have done for Darabont's The Mist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Die Nibelungen (1924 / 2015) - Gottfried Huppertz

Complete release auf the reconstructed original score, conducted by Frank Strobel, who also did Huppertz' Metropolis some years ago.
    The 4 CD sets features over four hours of music. Actually we have two films here, Siegfried and Kriemhilds Rache. Huppertz was virtually the John Williams of the German silent film era. This film project is comparable in scope with Ben-Hur of the following year or (relatively) with Jackson's LotR.
    Huppertz' music sadly was used only in Germany. Abroad a soundtrack of music by Wagner was applied. The American version of this Wagner compilation was released on LP and is said to be the first soundtrack release. Yet I don't know, if that is true.
    Huppertz' original score stears free of Wagnerisms. It's a sweeping romantic score with touches of the modern era. For me this is one of the most anticipated releases of the year.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

Still his best IMO. Brilliant score to a brilliant film.

I'd love to have heard what he might have done for Darabont's The Mist.

I think, given Newman's style, we often assume he's pigeon-holed into certain genres (which he does extremely well!). But he's proven on a small number of occasions that he's far more flexible than we might think. I often think of several films that I would love to hear the Newman take on. In the majority of cases, you know it would be extremely different but equally effective.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Die Nibelungen (1924 / 2015) - Gottfried Huppertz

Complete release auf the reconstructed original score, conducted by Frank Strobel, who also did Huppertz' Metropolis some years ago.
    The 4 CD sets features over four hours of music. Actually we have two films here, Siegfried and Kriemhilds Rache. Huppertz was virtually the John Williams of the German silent film era. This film project is comparable in scope with Ben-Hur of the following year or (relatively) with Jackson's LotR.
    Huppertz' music sadly was used only in Germany. Abroad a soundtrack of music by Wagner was applied. The American version of this Wagner compilation was released on LP and is said to be the first soundtrack release. Yet I don't know, if that is true.
    Huppertz' original score stears free of Wagnerisms. It's a sweeping romantic score with touches of the modern era. For me this is one of the most anticipated releases of the year.

Volker

Looking forward to getting a hold of this. I have only just ripped the music off the films' restored DVDs. As you say, over 4 hours of musi .
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Wastelander Panda: Exile - Christopher Larkin

Anyone needing to see a drama starring some talking pandas? Here you go:

https://youtu.be/rNi3V24ZdIw

Larkin's music on the album is quite subdued and orchestral, with occasional flashes of strong drama and ear-splitting cacophony.

But, hey, it's talking pandas!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015 edited
    Guardians Of The Galaxy Tyler Bates

One of my favourite Marvel scores.
  5. Mine too. Looking forward to his sequel score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015
    Yes. I never thought I'd say it, but I hope Bates returns. (Actually, I'm just jumping on the Tyler Bates Hatewagon. I've always been fairly indifferent to his scores, until Guardians.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indian Summers - Stephen Warbeck
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015 edited
    Je te survivrai - Stephen Warbeck

Odd. Very odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Thing Marco

That opening cue (mirrored here) from Morricone's score sets the mood perfectly, and is rightly a classic score. As an album, I much prefer this. Beltrami creates his own creepy motif with the ascending strings, plus his typically brilliant action scoring. It's a shame he's resident composer of Fox/Marvel rather than Marvel. Marvel aren't clever enough to see he should be on their team.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What an interesting choice to play on a Saturday eve.
    Any particular reason? (Just intrigued)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm entertaining friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015
    Ah, I forgot your bi-weekly Knights Of Cthulhu gathering on Saturday. Carry on!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conformists aren't allowed in...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pffff...I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would accept people like me anyway.
  6. Steven wrote
    Yes. I never thought I'd say it, but I hope Bates returns.

He does. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Pffff...I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would accept people like me anyway.

Don't be so grouchy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015 edited
    Bravo! You have earned a cigar and a greasepaint mustache!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Parade of the Athletes David Arnold

My second favourite piece of Olympic music.
  7. NP: The Cell - Howard Shore

Not listened to this one for a while. Some excellent percussive passages here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Cell - Howard Shore

Not listened to this one for a while. Some excellent percussive passages here.

Interesting but not an album I can get through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt