• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015
    Steven wrote
    Parade of the Athletes David Arnold

My second favourite piece of Olympic music.

Your first?

My favourite is by Mikis Theodorakis written for the 92 Barcelona Olympics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams' The Olympic Spirit. No piece of music uplifts me more than that. Arnold's is a very close second, especially as it uses part of the ID4 theme. Third? Hmm. The Theodorakis might be it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good choices! beer

Considering I'm bolloxed wankered I'm writing coherently.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, no, it would probably be another Williams: 'Olympic Fanfare And Theme'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Make that.... uhm ... three of us!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can't argue with that. Personal taste and all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Make that.... uhm ... three of us!

Four even!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't know *hic* half of you half as well as I should *hic* like...and...AND I like less than half of you half as well as you *hic* deserve.

Meow excuse me while I go throw up..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Light weight! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My top four Olympic themes are all by John Williams.

I love the Kamen and Poledouris ones too.

Obviously.
  1. They are great. My favourite though is the Olympic Hymn by Spyros Samaras. (Not a "theme", I know.) Also, are you familiar with Theodorakis' "Canto Olympico" (edit), the complete work? Gorgeous! One of Williams' themes was really a TV theme if i remember correctly.
    I wish they had adopted Arnold's "Parade of the Athletes" as the official theme in London. As much as I love "Chariots of Fire", they overplayed is so much, I couldn't stand it any more. Also it is an elegiac film theme. It doesn't work an an Olympic fanfare.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    are you familiar with Theodorakis' "Ode to Zeus", the complete work?

The complete work is called Canto Olympico.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's only credited as Ode To Zeus on John Williams Summon The Heroes album which records only three and a half minutes of a nine minute piece.
  2. You are right of course! I stand corrected.

NP: Krull (1983) - James Horner

The 45 minutes LP program edited from the LLL release. This playlist works best for me.

smile Volker
  3. Only 45 minutes of Krull? shocked

No, I need at least double that (SuperTracks release) cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. It's very "massive" music. Too much of such a sonic onslaught is getting tedious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Only 45 minutes of Krull? shocked

No, I need at least double that (SuperTracks release) cool

yeah
  5. NP: The Hobbit Trilogy - Howard Shore et al.

I edited a one-volume playlist to accompany the original LotR albums on my flash player. I used the same playlist that Silva used for their re-recordings. It works rather well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Braveheart

Man. How did I ever not love this?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Braveheart

It is a brilliant score. Maybe the dafty hogwash of a film coloured your opinion? As long as the film isn't taken at all seriously it's a rip roaring ride, I used to hate it because I know my History around this period, treat it as a fantasy and it's fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Braveheart... both film and score are absolutely brilliant. It's the best score Horner has ever written, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015 edited
    I dig the film too -- historical inaccuracies aren't really that important to me in this case (if we go down that road, there are a lot of historical Hollywood films that are left wanting). The score, obviously, is a contemporary classic, and there's really very little to say that hasn't already been said over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Braveheart

It is a brilliant score. Maybe the dafty hogwash of a film coloured your opinion? As long as the film isn't taken at all seriously it's a rip roaring ride, I used to hate it because I know my History around this period, treat it as a fantasy and it's fun.

Not sure where the fun part comes in when describing Braveheart, due to all the heartbreaking content and brutal imagery. confused

I utterly adore the film, it never fails to leave me in tears. The performances are riveting, especially Gibson, Gleeson, McGoohan and MacFadyen. The music's my number 1 Horner as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I dig the film too -- historical inaccuracies aren't really that important to me in this case (if we go down that road, there are a lot of historical Hollywood films that are left wanting )

True! For me it depends on how seriously the film takes itself and Braveheart takes itself very seriously whereas I could watch, let's say the WW II set Kelly's Heroes and not question its anachronism.
  7. NP: More (1969) - Pink Floyd

I never saw the film but it's airing tonight on German TV. So I listen to the music "in preparation". Spacey and psychedelic. Typical for the era.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pink Floyd really brings the Cartman out in me. Awful music for unwashed hippies.
  8. Not just Pink Floyd ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: More (1969) - Pink Floyd

I never saw the film but it's airing tonight on German TV. So I listen to the music "in preparation". Spacey and psychedelic. Typical for the era.

Volker

Great album! Never saw the film either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

Probably the best MI score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

Probably the best MI score.

If by 'best' you mean the 'second worst' after the Giacchinos, then yes, you're right.

The best is Zimmer's, followed by Elfman's. The rest, I don't care for at all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, as you no doubt know, you're wrong.