• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Haunted Palace - Ronald Stein

Features one of my favourite theme for a film.

https://youtu.be/t2tZ1MdnzxY

The video contains the original title sequence where the theme gets a vigorous outing at about 1:14. Arachnophobes may want to avoid the video due to the presence of a spider!

Great music and a SPIDER!!! Wow! And it isn't even my birthday.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Haunted Palace - Ronald Stein

Features one of my favourite theme for a film.

https://youtu.be/t2tZ1MdnzxY

The video contains the original title sequence where the theme gets a vigorous outing at about 1:14. Arachnophobes may want to avoid the video due to the presence of a spider!

Great music and a SPIDER!!! Wow! And it isn't even my birthday.

Edit: Wrong post.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Tried to play AI Artificial Intelligence but my nice keeps playing the piano, so that was that.

smile Volker

Try to make her play Monica's Theme... and if she's down for it and she's really good, she could try The Search for the Blue Fairy.

Playing it now. What a fantastic score! Still, 50€ for the expanded edition is too much!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Assault On Precinct 13 - John Carpenter (Alan Howarth 2012 rerecording)

Head and shoulders over the original technically, sounding much cleaner and more spacious. Reconstructed with much love and respect!
    Still carry a yen for the old, more muffled (and more claustrophic) recording as well though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agents of SHIELD Bear McCreary

This is excellent. McCreary sure knows how to write themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Four Feathers James Horner

This is excellent. Horner also knew how to write themes. (Still hesitate for a moment when having to refer to him in the past tense.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015 edited
    NP: GULDKYSTEN (Angelo Badalamenti etc.)

This is -- simply speaking -- one of my favourite scores of the year. Superb synth textures with retro elements; Badalamenti taps into some of his old TWIN PEAKS sound here, and the other composers involved follow in the same style. A must listen!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015
    Steven wrote

Agree. It is. And he does.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Jennifer 8 - Christopher Young

The beautiful main theme gets a play often, and there's many highlights on the whole album. It's a shame that the film is largely forgotten - because Young's music can be very powerful and the head-to-head interview between John Malkovich and Andy Garcia is excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: The Unsaid - Don Davis

Another forgotten film with an excellent main theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote

If you enjoyed Human Target or The Cape, you'll probably like SHIELD, which is in a very similar orchestral style (although with more electronics than those other two). It is worth noting the selections are almost all from the first season of the show, which makes sense as I don't remember much of musical interest in the second (even though the show dramatically improved in quality).
  5. 'The Fellowship of the Ring' Shore

Haven't listened to this in far too long, just brilliant. Some of it is just so beautiful and emotional. Others powerful and exciting. I think that's why I've never liked the 'Hobbit' scores, I just don't feel any passion in them.
  6. NP: The 7th Voyage of Sindbad (1958) - Bernhard Herrmann
    Royal National Scottish Orchestra; John Debney

Poetic, beautiful even without strings.

Volker
  7. I've been listening to a lot of Varese re recordings this weekend and this is one of my very favourite.

I'm very grateful to have all of them and if you get the compilation album 'In Session' the extensive liner notes are a fascinating and fairly in depth oral history from Robert Townson. It's a real shame that there doesn't seem to be a place in the market for them anymore.
  8. Oh, you seem to refer to this album. Never heard of it before. As I have most of these recordings already it would mean a lot of double dipping, but I'll think about it.

Volker
  9. Yes, that's the one.
  10. NP: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Bernard Herrmann
    Sinfonia of London; Bruce Broughton

This, of course, is the one without strings. I was confused for a moment cause there are also a number of cues in Sindbad with a complete lack of strings.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The 7th Voyage of Sindbad (1958) - Bernhard Herrmann
    Royal National Scottish Orchestra; John Debney

Poetic, beautiful even without strings.

Eh?? I think you're getting confused with Jason and The Argonauts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just spotted your follow up post. You're forgiven. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Oh, you seem to refer to this album. Never heard of it before. As I have most of these recordings already it would mean a lot of double dipping, but I'll think about it.

Volker

Do it. It's arguably one of the greatest film music compilation albums of all time!!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Oh, you seem to refer to this album. Never heard of it before. As I have most of these recordings already it would mean a lot of double dipping, but I'll think about it.

Volker

Do it. It's arguably one of the greatest film music compilation albums of all time!!!!

-Erik-

I did. wink
  12. NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

Can't remember much about this score but it seems pleasant enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

I go further than "pleasant", I love this score, utterly brilliant and heartfelt.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

Pretty entertaining. I wish Zimmer wrote like this more often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

I go further than "pleasant", I love this score, utterly brilliant and heartfelt.

Agreed. One of his best.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. NP: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1973) - Neil Diamond
    Arranged and conducted by Lee Holdridge.

Neil Diamond isn't a favourite of mine. (I like his HOT AUGUST NIGHT live album though.) This collaboration with Holdridge appeals to me. More than the film or the book do.

Volker
  14. "Duel"

To see if I can make a suite of material. I think I can make a journey out of it, with a beginning, middle and end. The trick will be keeping it from going over 15 minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fantastic Four - Beltrami and Glass

A bit of a chore to get through, really. I thought it might grow on me but it hasn't. Some very good parts, but not enough to make me want to give it another go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agents of Shield - Bear McCreary

This is more like it.
  15. Southall wrote
    Fantastic Four - Beltrami and Glass

A bit of a chore to get through, really. I thought it might grow on me but it hasn't. Some very good parts, but not enough to make me want to give it another go.

yeah, sounds like a pretty fair summary to me. Decent score but there are long stretches where it just kind of tinkers on in the background, and for this pair of names to produce something so pedestrian is pretty disappointing.