• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Why Snyder made the film in black & white? A bad move. The rest of it is extremely tedious with the most long winded ( oh fer christ sake just get the fuck on with it ) super-fight climax ever seen.

It's totally in line with what he likes to do, e.g. why stop there, when you can take it one step further? And one step further? It's what I like about him. The film is like one big acid trip, with audiovisual ideas gone wild! I dig it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015
    If you thought the Jesus symbolism was 'subtle' in the first one, the trailer to the sequel seems to be even worse on that front.

The score has a couple of enjoyable tracks, but as a film score it's pretty bad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I would argue that previous superhero movies were 99% nonsense; Donner's film actually attempted something more serious.

I'm trying very hard to think of any previous superhero films to Superman? You'll have to help me out here Thunderer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. 60s Batman?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    60s Batman?

That's one, yes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited
    Plenty of hero films prior to SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, of course, although they're not exactly 'super'. ZORRO, ROBIN HOOD etc.

But stuff like the Italian DANGER: DIABOLIK from 1968 (crap film, great score by Morricone), or the Japanese OGUN BAT (1966), or film serials like the original THE SHADOW, THE GREEN HORNET, SUPERMAN etc.

But that's about it, as far as I know.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    FROM EARTH TO MARS - Arturo Rodriguez

This is a new release from MSM. I must admit that the first time I listened to it I wasn't really paying attention and it sort of passed me by for a while. About halfway through it I realized that what I was hearing was reminding me of John Williams. I finished out the rest of the album and enjoyed the rest of it quite a bit. That last track, "El Rostro de la Luna" is a 17 minute piece that is really quite good. It's quiet and slow to build and develop, but it does develop and reminded me more than a little of something James Horner would have written in the 80s. I have started it over now and am on my second listen. Anyone who appreciates sci-fi from Goldsmith, Williams, or Horner (is that not all of us?) should probably give this a listen. It doesn't start with a bang, but give it a chance and you might find something here that you like. It may just make you want to go listen to all the great scores it reminds you of, but it was kind of a lovely experience to be brought back to a sound that we don't get very often anymore.

I gave this a couple of chances, but I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me. The thematic material is lacklustre and the performance is quite shoddy with lots of errors. For such an exciting project, and based on the 'buzz' I had heard, I had expected something more. But that's me.

By the way, I don't think this is a soundtrack, but a concert piece of some sort?

I'll grant you that it doesn't have memorable themes. It very well could be a concert piece (or three?). I don't know much about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015
    NP: MALEFICENT (James Newton Howard)

JNH's best since THE VILLAGE, in my opinion -- and for such a bad film!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Why Snyder made the film in black & white? A bad move. The rest of it is extremely tedious with the most long winded ( oh fer christ sake just get the fuck on with it ) super-fight climax ever seen.

It's totally in line with what he likes to do, e.g. why stop there, when you can take it one step further? And one step further? It's what I like about him. The film is like one big acid trip, with audiovisual ideas gone wild! I dig it!

I don't find many of the audiovisual ideas in Man of Steel to be interesting, though. Too monochrome all around. Not much creativity. I like some of the Krypton designs but that's about it. Must have been some weak-ass acid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beneath the 12-Mile Reef - Bernard Herrmann

This is such descriptive music. A masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't find many of the audiovisual ideas in Man of Steel to be interesting, though.

Takes a lot to impress you, I guess. The 'destruction of Krypton' sequence alone is about the craziest, wildest and most delicious feast for the eyes and ears that I've seen in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, I think some of its visuals are undeniably impressive. But in terms of the director's artistic vision, it doesn't do it for me. Too up its own arse. Too much Jesus rubbish. (Not that I mind religion in films, but not when it's bashing you over the head with it.)

Speaking of superheroes...

X-Men: The Last Stand John Powell

Good god this is brilliant. As much as I love many of his animation scores, it's a shame he hasn't done more 'heavy' things like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Oh, I think some of its visuals are undeniably impressive. But in terms of the director's artistic vision, it doesn't do it for me. Too up its own arse. Too much Jesus rubbish. (Not that I mind religion in films, but not when it's bashing you over the head with it.)

I love big & pompous "Jesus rubbish" movies!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't find many of the audiovisual ideas in Man of Steel to be interesting, though.

Takes a lot to impress you, I guess. The 'destruction of Krypton' sequence alone is about the craziest, wildest and most delicious feast for the eyes and ears that I've seen in a while.

Given I can't really remember what that sequence even looked like, obviously I don't agree! Give me a Peter Jackson battle sequence over that any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    Lord. I'd take Jesus over that any day.
  5. NP: Vikings (2013) - Trevor Morris

First listen. I don't follow the show closely but I saw two episodes recently. The music stuck out to me positively. I saw this CD in a shop today and since I am an fan of Morris' work I purchased it. What I hear so far I like. Strange that Morris' name is mentioned nowhere on the outside of the CD cover. Sony Classical seemingly does not believe his name might attract attention.

Volker
  6. NP: The STAR WARS Trilogy (1999) - John Williams
    Utha Symphony Orchestra; Varujan Kojian

Spectacular album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015 edited
    Brilliant album... Squawky clarinet and all.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    Chouans! - Georges Delerue

Within the pantheon of scores for films whose titles end with exclamation marks, this is one of the greats. In fact it's pretty damn brilliant by any standard.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Vikings (2013) - Trevor Morris

First listen. I don't follow the show closely but I saw two episodes recently. The music stuck out to me positively. I saw this CD in a shop today and since I am an fan of Morris' work I purchased it. What I hear so far I like. Strange that Morris' name is mentioned nowhere on the outside of the CD cover. Sony Classical seemingly does not believe his name might attract attention.

Volker

Seriously? I thought it was 75 minutes of ambient drumming torture!
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Vikings (2013) - Trevor Morris

Volker

Seriously? I thought it was 75 minutes of ambient drumming torture!

Not at all. I like the combination of orchestral melodic parts (reminiscent of THE TUDORS) and those ambient synthesizer parts. The overall effect is not unlike Toto's DUNE.
  9. NP: Gettysburg (1993) Randy Edelman

Craig Lsysy mentioned this score very favourably over at the Filmtracks ScoreBoard. I took occasion to obtain a second hand copy of it. 20 years ago I would have loved this score too pieces. Today I find most of its cues to be too simplistic. This is guilty pleasure territory for me. But then you come across a cue like "Five and Gun" which is a cousin of "The Currier" from LAST OF THE MOHICANS from the previous year and that is just brilliant.

I just saw that in my media player the album is in the direct vicinity of GONE WITH THE WIND and GLORY. That's nice. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    It IS terribly simplistic, as is all of Edelman's music, really, but somehow I find myself returning to it quite often. Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015 edited
    NP: CONTACT (Alan Silvestri)

People have been saying this score is all calm and soothing and stuff, but hey -- lots of action and suspense cues here. I don't know what they've been on about. Regardless, I like it! I've only properly owned it since I did that episode on space movies.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: La Revolution Francaise (1989) - George Delerue

In 1989, when a real world revolution would lead Liberty to yet another victory, Delerue wrote this rousing music to commemorate the Great French Revolution.

In times, when the European Union is characterized by petty discussions about who should take how many refugees and Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban considers the reintroduction of the death penalty, this music reminds me what European Unity really is about.

Here's to Liberty and here's to George Delerue!

smile Volker
  11. ^ Didn't listen to the two CDs in full, just to selected cues.

NP: Lady in the Water (2006) - James Newton Howard

This has grown on me during the years from indifferent to favourite.
  12. Thor wrote
    It IS terribly simplistic, as is all of Edelman's music, really, but somehow I find myself returning to it quite often. I'm weird.

Fixed it for you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Justin, a lot of people like Gettysburg, it was immensely popular. I haven't heard it yet as I'm not exactly a huge fan of Randy Edelman, so don't feel compelled to seek it, but still, it impressed many people, not just Thor.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. Oh no, I wasn't saying anything about the score...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  15. So you like to attack Thor whenever possible. Classy.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website