• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: La Revolution Francaise (1989) - George Delerue

In 1989, when a real world revolution would lead Liberty to yet another victory, Delerue wrote this rousing music to commemorate the Great French Revolution.

In times, when the European Union is characterized by petty discussions about who should take how many refugees and Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban considers the reintroduction of the death penalty, this music reminds me what European Unity really is about.

Here's to Liberty and here's to George Delerue!

smile Volker

This is such an outstanding score, so rich and so full, absolutely worthy of the great event it was written to depict.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Superman John Williams

Despite Zack Snyder's overly portentous (and pretentious) tone, one that I admittedly enjoyed at first but have since come to despise, I think Williams' score would have improved this latest attempt at Superman. It's that definitive a score. This is the music of Superman.

Yes, Zimmer was only responding to Snyder's vision of a darker, Jesus-in-Lycra Man O' Steel. But his vision is shit, and so is the score. It badly needed some class, and Williams' music has it coming out of its sides.

I wonder what the second greatest superhero score might be? My vote would be for Unbreakable. (If the rules permit me to count it as such.)

Wait. Hold the presses. Does The Rocketeer count?
  1. I think I missed the Jesus elements in the film. Maybe because I was reminded that Clark will be like a god to them Earthlings every friggin' 5 minutes of the film's first hour...

A little anecdote. There were two moments when the audience laughed. To give it a context, it was a press showing. The first scene was the tornado that took his Earth daddy, in particular Kevin Costner's gesture not to save him. People just chuckled.

The other time was Russell Crowe saying "I am your father".

That said, I found the classroom scene ("Mom, the world's too big!") genuinely moving.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think I missed the Jesus elements in the film.

Are you sure you saw the right film?
  2. I am, though I guess I simply ignored these particular moments... especially the church.
  3. It was the first and last Zack Snyder film I ever bothered watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am, though I guess I simply ignored these particular moments... especially the church.

And apparently the whole schtick about him being the son sent to earth to protect it. wink

Which I realise has always been part of Superman's ethos, but Snyder really took that aspect to heart.
  4. NP: Far From the Madding Crowd (2015) - Craig Armstrong

This was a blind buy due to glowing reviews. The CD will be released in Germany only on July 3rd so I got it from across the English channel. This is the second such purchase this year after WOLF TOTEM that I got from France. I don't see the reason for those late German release dates.

Anyway, this is absolutely gorgeous. The main theme alone is worth the price. I especially like how the traditional music and the original score blend into a very satisfying listening experience. Another great score in a year of great scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am, though I guess I simply ignored these particular moments... especially the church.

And apparently the whole schtick about him being the son sent to earth to protect it. wink

Which I realise has always been part of Superman's ethos, but Snyder really took that aspect to heart.

I thought it was weird to do that again especially after Brian Singer had beat the audience with that comparison so mercilessly in the last Superman film. Snyder did it several times, yes, but I think Singer bested him in that department by a factor of three.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015
    Great Composers, Georges Delerue

Exploring compilations on Spotify of composers I'm less familiar with. My word, this music is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You don't say! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Queenie - Georges Delerue

Delerue goes Bollywood. Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015 edited
    NP: UTOPIA 2 (Cristobal Tapia de Veer)

One of the weirdest soundtracks I own, I think. Warped and off, but with a strange heart beneath.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So essentially the soundtrack equivalent of you?
  6. Just played:
    Far From the Madding Crowd (2015) - Craig Armstrong

Again. Fantastic!

NP: Le Denier Loup / Wolf Totem (2015) - James Horner

This too is fantastic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

LOL! Yeah, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Josh B wrote

Exploring compilations on Spotify of composers I'm less familiar with. My word, this music is gorgeous.

Yes!! I LOVE a lot of those suites. MEMORIES OF ME is my favorite. AGNES OF GOD is another favorite. And while BEACHES starts out as the head-stickiest elevator music ever, I've really grown to love it, too. There are a bunch of others on that album that are great, but those three were the first I thought to mention.

Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

LOL! Yeah, I guess.

biggrin

NP: MONKEY KINGDOM - HGW

It's okay.
  8. Josh B wrote

I suppose these are the same suites as found on the LONDON SESSION CDs? They are great indeed.

smile Volker
  9. NP: A Brief History of Time (1991) - Philip Glass

Thus my last remaining true Holy Grail has finally been released. I wasn't that exited to hold a new CD in my hands since Intrada released THE BLACK HOLE by John Barry.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015
    Warlock - Jerry Goldsmith

Rarely has a score been so transformed in my estimation by a new edition. This was one of my least favourite Goldsmith scores and I wasn't going to buy the new release until I saw the positive reception it got even from people who didn't previously like the score; on the new album it's great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015
    Snowpiercer Marco Beltrami

This is brilliant. Can't wait for Fantastic Four.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015 edited
    I'm not as enthusiastic about the score like you are (greaaaaaaaaat film) but the end credits are magnifique!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Snowpiercer Marco Beltrami

This is brilliant. Can't wait for Fantastic Four.

He's doing The Fantastic Four? I missed that one. A superhero score to look forward to, I hope he doesn't disappoint.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Him and Philip Glass. shocked

I didn't much care for the Snowpiercer score, a lot of it is quite unlistenable IMO but it's got some great moments and a lot of very creative touches throughout. The film is...weird. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not as enthusiastic about the score like you are (greaaaaaaaaat film) but the end credits are magnifique!

-Erik-

I didn't care for the film at all (I have a natural aversion towards films that combine tones, especially if there's quirk involved -- Tim Burton not included), and the score didn't do much either. One of the big disappointments for me last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Him and Philip Glass. shocked

Indeed. Surely one of the weirdest composer assignments in recent years. But very tantalizing!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Chappie (2015) - Hans Zimmer

Hans Zimmer blending with Daft Punk. Intriguing!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Chappie (2015) - Hans Zimmer

Volker

One of the best scores of the year for a misfire of a film!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Chappie (2015) - Hans Zimmer

Volker

I like it, too. There are few tracks that are the musical equivalent of a migraine headache but I like how creative and genuinely "different" it is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ghost and the Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

It will take a bit of getting used to the new album. Virtually everything is different from the original - different takes of the cues, different mixes. At times it's a bit like the infamous Phantom Menace expanded album, slavishly sticking to film cuts. Some of the "new" takes are probably better than the original album ones, some are just different (neither better nor worse) and some are worse. The best album would be some combination of the two.