• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Meh so far...

-Erik-

My reaction at first, but I think it's this year's Gravity. Works extremely well in the film, especially 'Crossing Mars' and the final track. Great film, effective score. In fact, this and Sicario are not usually the types of scores I like (ambient I suppose?), but they've received multiple listens from me.
  1. Sicario is not really an ambient score (there's too much going on in the orchestrations), but yeah, it's great if oppressive.

The Martian is one of my favourite HGW scores ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sicario is not really an ambient score (there's too much going on in the orchestrations), but yeah, it's great if oppressive.

Even moreso than KINGDOM OF HEAVEN?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Stake Land - Jeff Grace

Jeff Grace isn't mentioned much - which is a shame, because he puts out some great scores. I like this one...great themes, touching and tender passages and interesting action scoring.

a good movie too smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sicario is not really an ambient score (there's too much going on in the orchestrations), but yeah, it's great if oppressive.

Yes. And I think it would rock your boat, too. The "world-creating" element that Ridley needs so much in his scores as well, is much better pronounced in The Martian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Meh so far...

-Erik-

My reaction at first, but I think it's this year's Gravity. Works extremely well in the film, especially 'Crossing Mars' and the final track. Great film, effective score. In fact, this and Sicario are not usually the types of scores I like (ambient I suppose?), but they've received multiple listens from me.

I didn't like Gravity one bit. I can't wait to see the movie so my reaction to Gregson-Williams underwhelming score on CD might change after a viewing... but it's going to have to carry that film in order to change my mind that drastically.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes. And I think it would rock your boat, too. The "world-creating" element that Ridley needs so much in his scores as well, is much better pronounced in The Martian.

I've only heard the score in the film so far, but looking forward to hearing it on album. I remember there being some memorable pieces while watching.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The Film Music of Miklos Rozsa
    The Thief of Baghdad . The Jungle Books . Sahara . Ben-Hur . BBC . Gamba . Marvellous

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't like Gravity one bit.

I haven't seen it, and to honest it doesn't sound very appealing. I meant more in terms of subject, popularity and approach to scoring it (i.e. more reliant on textures than themes, even though there are recurring motifs in HGW's score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The film is bleeding excellent (on the big screen, in 3D. I dounbt it holds up very well ona small screen).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    The film is bleeding excellent (on the big screen, in 3D. I dounbt it holds up very well ona small screen).

It does actually. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle to the 3D version, which almost make my upchuck, but it was nice to see a 2D presentation, at home and with my home theatre configuration, which I infinitely prefer over any big chain movie theatre.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ALAN SILVESTRI

Just a self-compiled selection. Predator, Back To The Future, The Mummy Returns, Judge Dredd, Forrest Gump and more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

I'm skeptical of these sorts of claims. Avatar was supposed to be an incredible experience only worth seeing in 3D on a planet-sized screen. But it compared perfectly well at home (yes, seeing a film at the cinema is always a grander experience, but the lack of 3D made very little difference to my overall enjoyment of it... which admittedly has waned somewhat since its release). Still, skepticism is not cynicism, so I'm happy to be proved wrong should the opportunity ever arise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Avatar and Gravity are, IMO, the best 3D films I've ever seen... and both hold up incredibly well in 2D presentations!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015 edited
    The evidence, in my experience, would seem to suggest that. It's a neat tool, but it has never felt necessary. It would be false to compare it to CGI since there are countless examples of where CGI has been integral to a film's overall success. (Plus, there are no non-CGI versions of films with CGI... apart from Star Wars and ET.)
  5. I loved Gravity and due to sight issues, I haven't seen it in 3D. But in cinema and 2D it was a fantastic experience and had a strong poignant message I needed at that point of my life.

Gravity is a fantastic film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The evidence, in my experience, would seem to suggest that. It's a neat tool, but it has never felt necessary.

It most definitely isn't necessary BUT when you have filmmakers who shoot and produce a 3D film properly, it's quite an experience.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Avatar and Gravity are, IMO, the best 3D films I've ever seen... and both hold up incredibly well in 2D presentations!

-Erik-

Titanic's 3D conversion is fantastic as well... like Cameron had shot it in that format originally.

NP: TOTAL RECALL (Deluxe Edition)

Well this is pretty good. Jerry Goldsmith seems like a man who has some talent... Is he still among us?

dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Titanic's 3D conversion is fantastic as well... like Cameron had shot it in that format originally.

No, no, no... 3D conversion is garbage. Flat, pop-up-book looking scenes. No thanks. The film needs to be conceived and filmed in 3D for it to work properly.

-Erik-
  7. In 3D I've seen only Avatar, The Life of Pi and Iron Man 3 (because a 2D version wasn't available). I never felt the effect, although at least I didn't get a headache which I've heard is a big possibility.

So I ceased to see 3D films. It's just additional and unnecessary cost for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So I ceased to see 3D films. It's just additional and unnecessary cost for me.

yeah
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No, no, no... 3D conversion is garbage. Flat, pop-up-book looking scenes. No thanks. The film needs to be conceived and filmed in 3D for it to work properly.

-Erik-

Well I'm sorry but you're wrong. Titanic's conversion is first rate, might be the best one ever done. No flatness, no ghosting whatsoever, incredible depth in the wide shots, no gimmicky pop-out effects, simply natural looking 3D. I've seen it both on the big and small screen and it's nothing short of stunning. I read Cameron invested a huge amount of money to get it to look as fantastic as it does. Of course he has no shortage of cash.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. And I happened to enjoy Gravity and The Martian immensely in 2D, so I don't need 3D.

Same with Mad Max.
  10. Oh, and actually. Gravity was a post-conversion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But when a good majority of the film is CGI it's a lot easier for 3D to be convincing!

-Erik-
  11. As far as I know, the film was also planned as 3D from the get go. The reason they went for conversion was an artistic one. They actually used film for the finale, as I see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pan John Powell

(Again.) I've played this an embarrassing amount of times. It's a John Powell piratey score. The Lord has answered my prayers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Walk Alan Silvestri

This is also yet another winner from 2015. Some classic Silvestri material here. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Avatar was supposed to be an incredible experience only worth seeing in 3D on a planet-sized screen.

It was OK. That planet looked lovely, indeed.

But it compared perfectly well at home

At that point the truly ridiculously seventies-ish Captain Environment story got the attention over the special effects.
    NOT a plus.

Gravity, too, was fueled mainly by incredible 3D work (OK, and a likeable lead)...and not much more.
    So no, absolutely no point watching it on TV.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. I actually thought that Avatar is Dances with Wolves combined with a villain taken right from the 1980s. I almost facepalmed in the cinema (never saw Avatar again and I don't think I'd like to, really) when Quaritch suddenly went "COME TO PAPA!"