• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015
    I like the original album just the way it is. But you knew I would say that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015 edited
    NP: THE RELIGIOUS SOUND (various)

A playlist that Martijn made, based on my initial ideas. These didn't qualify for my OFFICIAL 'religious sound' playlist, but they're still bloody brilliant tracks. I'm going to share my updates playlist, as well as Martijn's un-qualified suggestions soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or indeed, as it's of course better known, Martijn's DEFINITIVE and AUTHORITATIVE playlist (based on an initial but limited concept by Thor).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What is this play list pray tell that I may judge it meets my approval.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. dito
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Navajo Joe (1974) - Ennio bow Morricone

Expressionistic, melodic, jarring, anarchic. Brilliant Maestro Morricone!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    Dragonheart 3 - Mark McKenzie

It's not the side of McKenzie I love, but it's still really good.
  3. NP: L'autre Bonaparte (2015) - Maximilien Mathevon

As I understand this is the score for a French TV documentary about Napoleon's younger brother Jérôme. It's melodic and very likeable. The main theme to me is stylistically reminiscent of George Delerue.
    This nicely depicts the period.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Longest Ride - Mark Isham

It's pleasant, but Isham's music used to be so distinctive and he seemed to reach a point a few years ago after which it became far less so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

It's pleasant, but Isham's music used to be so distinctive and he seemed to reach a point a few years ago after which it became far less so.

I really like a lot of what Isham does when he's in the mode of CRASH or IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH (the first I consider one of the 10 greatest, electronically-driven scores of all time!), and I was hoping that this was more of the same. Alas, it was a rather boring affair that was neither fish nor foul.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Those two are very good. Back in the day, when he went orchestral (October Sky, Fly Away Home et al) he could be great too. Since Ken Kugler was no longer his orchestrator he's lost the great consistency of sound that set him apart. There have been some good ones (Black Dahlia is GREAT) but they've become fewer and fewer.
  4. Indeed.

NP - Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

First listen. "The Competition" just started. I like where this track is going. I wonder if it can sustain this level of intensity over the whole 9:10 run time.
  5. It doesn't, but that section with the taiko drums is absolutely exhilarating. Junkie XL, take note - this is how you write percussive action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015
    It's a score that makes me smile, that's for sure. So good! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mad Max Fury Road - Tom Holkenberg

It might work in the film. Away from it... well, it's horrible. If you thought the only thing that could improve Man of Steel would be doubling the mindnumbing drumming, removing everything else and making it two hours long then you'll be filling your boots with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited
    It works brilliantly in the film, and I cannot picture any other type of score working, really. But I have yet to check it out on album. It seems way too long at 2 hours (the album, that is). But I do remember other things than drumming, like the Maurice Jarre-like cue denoting desperation in one particular scene.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. There is a shorter version. The 2-hour running time is the "deluxe" version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, there are some other things as it goes on. Drumming's never far away though. Synthy horns (even though lots of real horn players are credited in the booklet which is bizarre) are so cheap and nasty. Often sounds more like a parody than a real film score. Might be a decent 30 minute album buried in it somewhere, but good luck to anyone in finding it because it's a test of endurance to sit through the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EARTH TO ECHO (Joseph Trapanese)

The film is a disaster, but the score is very good -- both the orchestral and electronic bits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Still on Mad Max - lasts forever)

Second half of the album is much stronger. The synthetic sheen over it does it no favours (this is really a live orchestra and not samples?) but when the drums are put aside there's something here worth hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    (Still on Mad Max - lasts forever)

Second half of the album is much stronger. The synthetic sheen over it does it no favours (this is really a live orchestra and not samples?) but when the drums are put aside there's something here worth hearing.

Ha, ha...yeah, I wondered if you were referring to EARTH TO ECHO there for a second.

Hopefully, someone will have managed to create a proper listening experience program out MAD MAX by the time I get the soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hummm... what other films featured a Desert Chase with a score that WASN'T wall to wall noise and was far more creative and effective?

Mad Max Fury Road (as a stand alone listen) is really terrible as a whole. There's some "interesting" stuff scattered throughout the excruciating 2 hour album (those descending strings in the action cues is quite fun but becomes GRATING after you hear it for the 600th time) but when Junkie's doing the "everything AND the kitchen sink" action droning (which makes up most of the album) it's bloody irritating. Lowest common denominator scoring, IMO, which I'm sure is serviceable in the film but that's doesn't really mean much to me.

The score is really just a lot of Batman and Man of Steel left overs. It's like Junkie broke into Zimmer's studio, pounded away at his gear for a few hours, stole some samples, loops and discarded tracks from previous scores, threw it into a blender and repackaged it as his own. I don't know how this guy continues to get work. He's really not good at what he does. Loud does NOT mean better. And the mix... oh man, the mix. Brick walled, overly compressed, noise, noise, noise, noise, noise. No room for ANYTHING to breathe.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... what other films featured a Desert Chase with a score that WASN'T wall to wall noise and was far more creative and effective?

Does this suffice? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVdRfnLPypE

I haven't heard the score yet but I think I will share your thoughts on it, would be surprised if not (based on his previous scores and the samples), but i'll listen to it with an open mind and hope there is at least some good parts to extract from the 2h+ album in worst case scenario. It is just a shame if that is the case seeing the film is getting glorious reviews.

PS: Yey, my first post on this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015 edited
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for picking up on what was saying about effective Desert Chase music. wink

BTW, the second half of the deluxe edition is much better than the first half but a turd is still a turd.

I like the string writing only because it gave my ears a rest from the relentless drums.

The score just exposes Junkie as a very limited "composer." Same old bag of tricks done much better by the creative people that came before him.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015 edited
    Seriously, people, there's a perfectly fine 71 min. 'regular' version of the MAD MAX: FURY ROAD soundtrack featuring the highlights which is a great listening experience. It's readily available on iTunes and is the pressed CD program, so what's with all the moaning by people who usually don't like Junkie XL to still get the 2 hour program, and then complain about the duration? (Which is, as I see it, mainly there for the hardcore lovers of this kind of music as it's the complete score).
  7. Flesh + Blood - Basil Poledouris

They sure don't write 'em like this anymore. punk

Although, just to play devil's advocate for a second...the first couple minutes or so of "The Box" aren't much more intelligent, action-music-wise, than your average Junkie XL score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Flesh + Blood - Basil Poledouris

...the first couple minutes or so of "The Box" aren't much more intelligent, action-music-wise, than your average Junkie XL score.

The difference is it's not the only idea spread over an entire film.
  8. A very good point! beer
  9. Southall wrote

I thought it was average
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Southall wrote
    Dragonheart 3 - Mark McKenzie

It's not the side of McKenzie I love, but it's still really good.

the difference between the sampled score and the final minutes of that last track show a big difference, if only he could have delivered a fully orchestral score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh