• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

Everything must be calm, Erik. Calm, calm, calm. If it's so calm, you fall asleep, you have my PERFECT score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Perfect Storm James Horner

Now this is a 5 star score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRAFFIC (Cliff Martinez)

Not my favourite Martinez, but it's probably his most famous. Still, there's always something to get lost in in his textures (and I mean that in a positive sense).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

Everything must be calm, Erik. Calm, calm, calm. If it's so calm, you fall asleep, you have my PERFECT score!

Why not just put on 4'33'' and have done with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    The Perfect Storm James Horner

Now this is a 5 star score.

I have fact-checked this post and it appears to be entirely without errors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck yeah.
  2. Principal Thor will not approve of your swearing.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well gosh darn it, he could just go forth and multiply.

(Apologies for the harsh language.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA DOUBLE VIE DE VERONIQUE (Zbigniew Preisner)

A film score classic, of course, which is also familiar to a surprisingly high amount of non-film score fans.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    Bridge of Spies Thomas Newman

It has some duller moments as Justin and Thor, our two most reasonable members, have alluded to, but it's no doubt typically effective (and affecting) within the film. The highlights, though, are exactly that. 'Homecoming' is classic Newman, incredibly beautiful, and should be part of any Newman compilation hereafter.

There's also some moderately new territory with the Russian choir and Williams references. Great stuff. I don't love it all, but there's enough brilliant music here worth returning to. Perhaps the rest will grow on me after seeing the film.

One thing though: why does Newman's brass writing come off sounding like synth? Is it the recording?

I think that all the time when people say that the score sounds like John Williams, it's rather Newman channelling Coplandesque Americana rather than Williams.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: King Solomon's Mines (1985) - Jerry Golsmith

OK, so they told him to ape Raiders of the Lost Ark. Who other than Jerry Goldsmith could have gotten out of that affair as elegantly as him?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that all the time when people say that the score sounds like John Williams, it's rather Newman channelling Coplandesque Americana rather than Williams.

Which of course Newman has done almost as many times as Williams over the years. So yeah -- while there may certainly be an element of him channeling Williams, it's just as much him channeling a style of Americana that he's explored many times over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes, if you want to be pedantic. You could probably push it back further and say it's Newman channelling Copland channelling whatever influenced him. But Coplandesque American is Williams, and this is a Spielberg film. If you can't call that a Williams reference, then few things can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

DOUBLE yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes, if you want to be pedantic. You could probably push it back further and say it's Newman channelling Copland channelling whatever influenced him. But Coplandesque American is Williams, and this is a Spielberg film. If you can't call that a Williams reference, then few things can.

Oh, I think it is too -- I'm just baffled by the comments that say this is Thomas Newman doing something he's never done before, when that particular 'Americana sound' has -- in fact -- been one of his trademarks for 25 years. Williams has not been the only one doing this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I may have misspoke referring to it as 'relatively new territory'. He's certainly done his fair share of Americana (Little Woman comes to mind). But here it does feel different, more of a Williams pastiche - which is new territory for Newman, as far as I'm aware.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's also elements of it in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, MEET JOE BLACK, ROAD TO PERDITION etc. Here's one from SCENT OF A WOMAN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0IriSIx4us

For me, this has always been just as much an integral part of Newman's sound as the more quirky, rhytmic stuff that everyone always brings up. Of course, in BRIDGE OF SPIES, he gets to showcase both.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Steven wrote
    I may have misspoke referring to it as 'relatively new territory'. He's certainly done his fair share of Americana (Little Woman comes to mind). But here it does feel different, more of a Williams pastiche - which is new territory for Newman, as far as I'm aware.

To me it's more of a "Fanfare for the Common Man" pastiche and I feel it is closer to the original Copland. If there is an earlier precedent in Newman's career rather than scores mentioned above, I'd rather say the Montana music from The Horse Whisperer, which does come close.

I'll write a bit more tomorrow, but I have to say that I love how Bridge of Spies does NOT sound like John Williams. I was excited about the project (and the score) before Williams had to bow out, but what I mean is that Newman really made it his own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015
    Gamba Benjamin Wallfisch

Derivative as hell, but far too much fun to care.
  6. NP: Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - Alan Howarth

Only really of interest for how Howarth channels John Carpenter's original theme and motifs into his score.

This is continuing on with a bit of a disappointing evening's listening. Before Halloween 4, Wojciech Golczewski's We Are Still Here failed to impress. And things started out so well earlier with Gary McFarland's Eye of the Devil: an excellent score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You definitely listen to some popular scores.
  7. Steven wrote
    You definitely listen to some popular scores.

biggrin

Just using this month to listen to scores I have but which usually get overlooked because there's lots and lots that are far more pleasurable listening. (Except for Eye of the Devil, which is very good indeed and was the opening score random shuffling threw up.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Thor wrote
    There's also elements of it in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, MEET JOE BLACK, ROAD TO PERDITION etc. Here's one from SCENT OF A WOMAN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0IriSIx4us

For me, this has always been just as much an integral part of Newman's sound as the more quirky, rhytmic stuff that everyone always brings up. Of course, in BRIDGE OF SPIES, he gets to showcase both.

I was all ready to defend Newman's honor here but you and PawelStroinski did all the work for me. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015 edited
    It's not really defense. It's just pointing out a basic aspect of T. Newman's sound. I still think Williams' soundscape was looming in the shadows for certain parts of BOS -- just not to the extent that many commentators seem to think (which goes more like "oh here comes this rhytmic, quirky Thomas Newman guy and does solemn Americana just like John Williams - I've never heard THAT before!").
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies

It appeared on Spotify a couple of days ago. I'm not going to watch the film until the end of November, sadly, because that's it premieres here.

I'll start with the Americana. It's really much along the lines of The Horse Whisperer (think Montana). Sure, there could have been a Spielberg suggestion to go in that direction, but it's not an uncharted territory for Newman and I think he gets back to the original Copland, just as Williams in these cues does (though it's not as "Lincoln Portrait"-esque as Amistad or Saving Private Ryan were). But the choppy strings a la Road to Perdition's action music are there and later there is even a little suggestion of Angels in America (Sunlit Silence). I'd like to point out another similarity, though it's rather JNH channeling Newman rather than the other way around - that kind of Americana appeared in another Tom Hanks historical tentpole - Charlie Wilson's War.

This is, hands down, a Thomas Newman score. The choppy character of the action/suspense moments (with a great choral addition in End Title, sadly not featured otherwise in the score), there is some of the more quirky sadness (Rain, as Thor pointed out in his film review, has moments of pure magic) and the pure warmth of his minor-key piano/string/synth cues which I can only point out rather than describe. Not only Private Citizen is a great example of his style, but it's my favorite type of a Thomas Newman piece and I always love when he brings these out. For those who have me on Facebook, I'd point out to the link to Rollercoaster from The White Oleander, where I made a little analysis of how that kind of cue makes me feel.

What I really like about the score, with all its great orchestral writing and some cool choral bits to boot, is that Spielberg just let Newman be. It's not that, while it is most decidedly his idiom of writing film music, Newman just stayed in his comfort zone. He expanded it. The expansion of the choral material for tension (and maybe that's where Thor hears the Williams influences? There is a slight War of the Worlds element there, maybe), a return to slightly more classical scoring style, which maybe doesn't get back all the way as when he referred to his own father in The Good German and generally the Golden Age noir style (aka pre-On the Waterfront).

In another thing for consideration, maybe there is another element of why people consider Skyfall (which I find quite underrated, but as much as I love Barry's originals, I was never a big fan of Arnold) as generic and replaceable with other action scores. And this is the point where I disagree with them. Thomas Newman was always a composer of rhythm, which maybe is best showcased actually in his quirky American Beauty era. In Bridge of Spies there is a large percussion barrage in Lt. Francis Gary Powers. And that bit of (in this case quite oppressive) rhythm is also quite the staple of his style, even if we take into account something as forgotten as Red Corner. When Newman did Skyfall he did refer to the Barry style more than people think of (why doesn't anyone mention New Digs at all?), but he also really took to the percussive elements that are undeniably Thomas Newman. It's not a Powell rehash. It's been always there in his darker work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

You wouldn't be so indulging of this emoticon if you suffered tinnitus too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

Unless, of course, the emoticon tries to cover his ears, but in a tinnitus-infected stupor, hits his head instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

Funny thing is... I do. I've been suffering through it for a year and a half. But it hasn't changed my tastes in music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Funny thing is... I do. I've been suffering through it for a year and a half.

Apparently you didn't read the handbook for tinnitus sufferers where it outlines how you should regularly remind everyone you have tinnitus.
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies

It appeared on Spotify a couple of days ago. I'm not going to watch the film until the end of November, sadly, because that's it premieres here.

I'll start with the Americana. It's really much along the lines of The Horse Whisperer (think Montana). Sure, there could have been a Spielberg suggestion to go in that direction, but it's not an uncharted territory for Newman and I think he gets back to the original Copland, just as Williams in these cues does (though it's not as "Lincoln Portrait"-esque as Amistad or Saving Private Ryan were). But the choppy strings a la Road to Perdition's action music are there and later there is even a little suggestion of Angels in America (Sunlit Silence). I'd like to point out another similarity, though it's rather JNH channeling Newman rather than the other way around - that kind of Americana appeared in another Tom Hanks historical tentpole - Charlie Wilson's War.

This is, hands down, a Thomas Newman score. The choppy character of the action/suspense moments (with a great choral addition in End Title, sadly not featured otherwise in the score), there is some of the more quirky sadness (Rain, as Thor pointed out in his film review, has moments of pure magic) and the pure warmth of his minor-key piano/string/synth cues which I can only point out rather than describe. Not only Private Citizen is a great example of his style, but it's my favorite type of a Thomas Newman piece and I always love when he brings these out. For those who have me on Facebook, I'd point out to the link to Rollercoaster from The White Oleander, where I made a little analysis of how that kind of cue makes me feel.

What I really like about the score, with all its great orchestral writing and some cool choral bits to boot, is that Spielberg just let Newman be. It's not that, while it is most decidedly his idiom of writing film music, Newman just stayed in his comfort zone. He expanded it. The expansion of the choral material for tension (and maybe that's where Thor hears the Williams influences? There is a slight War of the Worlds element there, maybe), a return to slightly more classical scoring style, which maybe doesn't get back all the way as when he referred to his own father in The Good German and generally the Golden Age noir style (aka pre-On the Waterfront).

In another thing for consideration, maybe there is another element of why people consider Skyfall (which I find quite underrated, but as much as I love Barry's originals, I was never a big fan of Arnold) as generic and replaceable with other action scores. And this is the point where I disagree with them. Thomas Newman was always a composer of rhythm, which maybe is best showcased actually in his quirky American Beauty era. In Bridge of Spies there is a large percussion barrage in Lt. Francis Gary Powers. And that bit of (in this case quite oppressive) rhythm is also quite the staple of his style, even if we take into account something as forgotten as Red Corner. When Newman did Skyfall he did refer to the Barry style more than people think of (why doesn't anyone mention New Digs at all?), but he also really took to the percussive elements that are undeniably Thomas Newman. It's not a Powell rehash. It's been always there in his darker work.

You get extra stars for the shout-out to Red Corner, one of his most criminally underrated works.