• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015
    A fine score. A bit too much at times, but minor qualms. I also like the whole album, including the songs (always been a fan of Leftfield's "Release the Pressure").
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015
    Would have been great live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015 edited
    NP: Crimson Peak - Fernando Velazquez

Stunning. Achingly beautiful. At times terrifying. Gorgeous music. One of the year's best!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Jeepers Creepers - Bennett Salvay

Superior horror scoring. Unsettling quieter moments pepper the bold, brassy action scoring and there's a surprisingly tender theme in the mix too.

I love both scores. The brass writing is phenomenal. And yes it helps if there are themes that guide the material.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015 edited
    NP: Tales of Halloween - Various Artists

A horror anthology with contributions by close to a dozen different composers including Lalo Schifrin who provides the film with a sizzling main title theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer

This is in my top 5 ! As an action score it's relentlessly awesome, but I admit I prefer it in its 59 minute edition. I adore this Zimmer sound, and almost everything from that point in his career.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Spectre - Thomas "Gun Barrel" Newman (2015)

Yes, I see why this is a let-down for many. For me it's intoxicating. For each their own.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015
    I'm liking his Bond scores. Considering he is one of the last high-profile composers I ever expected to end up doing a Bond score, given his usual style. He makes it his own, in my opinion, and I respect that.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Spectre - Thomas "Gun Barrel" Newman (2015)

Yes, I see why this is a let-down for many. For me it's intoxicating. For each their own.

Yeah, I think it's a great complement to Skyfall, if not better than that score.
  5. NP: Supergirl (1984) - Jerry Goldsmith

This score makes for a rather nice listening experience though I think my Silva album's duration is a bit long. In any event, this score never leaves a lasting impression. I can't put my finger on what's wrong here. It's not a score that I return too very often. Maybe it's too simplistic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2015 edited
    That overture, first and last track ! If that doesn't leave a lasting impression, nothing will... shocked

The Monkey King - Christopher Young

punk

Track 9 which ROCKS for most of its 17 minutes. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. It rocks for about 13 minutes and then is beautiful for the remaining 4. Not a whole lot to complain about there!
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    That overture, first and last track ! If that doesn't leave a lasting impression, nothing will... shocked.

True. These tracks are highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2015
    Secrets of a Psychopath - Scott Glasgow

Excellent horror score from a fine composer.
  8. NP: En Mai, Fais Ce Qu'Il Te Plaît - Ennio Morricone

This is such a beautiful score. Lush and melodic with darker tones, the opening and closing tracks are especially memorable.

I recommend it to everyone.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. I'm playing it on Spotify. Nice. Is there a physical release?
  10. Captain Future wrote
    I'm playing it on Spotify. Nice. Is there a physical release?

At the moment, not as far as I know.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Truth - Brian Tyler

Really like it. Either I've become very easily pleased, or 2015 really has been an excellent year for new film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2015 edited
    2015 is one of the best years of new music in recent memory.

-Erik-
  11. I've been listening mainly over and over again in October, "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

Horner's score is wonderful and goes with the month, to me.

When I think of October, I think of the opening monologe from the film (apparently added to the film after they dumped Delerue' score [amongst other changes]), which I'm going to try and reproduce from memory:

First of all, it was October; a rare month for boys. Full of sleepless nights, and broken promises. The days shorten, shadows lengthen, and the air warms in such a way you feel you could run forever, for just ahead, lie ten thousand pumpkins waiting to be cut.

I have a checklist for October that's my own tradition:

1. Watch SWTWC.
    2. Listen to both SWTWC scores.
    3. Watch the Garfield Halloween special.

While I didn't end up getting to see the film (by the way, how awesome would it be to have the original cut with Delerue's score in tact?), I did however hand out candy and scare the crap out of some kids. Halloween trick-or-treaters have changed; you miss ten plus years of handing out candy and it changes behind your back. I hid on the dark and have a red-light flashlight to shine onb my face -- some kids skipped by me, they were so terrified.

Well, now on to November, where each year it's turning out more and more that "The Thorn Birds" is my score of choice for the month. I already have one tradition for November: watch "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", but it's been years since I could do that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: En Mai, Fais Ce Qu'Il Te Plaît - Ennio Morricone

This is such a beautiful score. Lush and melodic with darker tones, the opening and closing tracks are especially memorable.

In film music terms there is literally nothing more precious to me than new music by Ennio Morricone, who turns 87 next week but has seemingly lost none of his spark following the longest "lay-off" of his career (it has been 29 months since his last new score, comfortably the longest gap there has ever been; but the good news is that he's already recorded his next two!)

This is a sublime score, a warm nostalgic glow running through much of it but as you say, with those darker tones too. (Some of the string writing actually reminds me of Bernard Herrmann.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Indeed! Lovely film music. One of the year's best.

-Erik-
  12. NP: Zipper - H. Scott Salinas

An oppressive feel of a score: ostinato patterns & dark strings give variety to this. There doesn't seem to be much to it but it's interesting nonetheless.
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Indeed! Lovely film music. One of the year's best.

-Erik-

Can't wait for The Hateful Eight.
  14. NP: Journey To Space - Cody Westheimer

I remember not thinking much of this when I first heard it. But now I have warmed more to Westheimer's choice of music. For a movie documenting NASA's contributions to space exploration, the music is confident and somewhat advertorial.

But surely a composer of Westheimer could have been allowed to compose his own music for "Mars" rather than just reworking Holst's efforts.
  15. Southall wrote
    Quartet have released it on CD.

Ja, found it. You can pre-order it at Chris' Soundtrack Corner.
  16. Basic Instinct Goldsmith

I had always been happy with the original album as it was and didn't pick up the previous expansion but I'm really enjoying this new Quartet release of the full score. It really works for me in complete form and the sound quality is absolutely terrific. The blend of electronics and orchestra is sublime.
  17. NP: Star Wars II: Attack of the Clowns (2002) - Johnny E-Guitar Williams

So much attention to detail, so much love and tenderness. I just love the quite parts of this score that accompany the love story. (One has to wonder where JW took his inspiration from, given those awkward scenes with Anakin and Padme.) Also great is the tribal flair of the early action music.
    I like the film though I think it is the weakest in the series. I can't see how this should have affected the score that is IMO a great addition to the musical Star Wars universe.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    (One has to wonder where JW took his inspiration from, given those awkward scenes with Anakin and Padme.)

His own Jane Eyre score and Nino Rota.

Captain Future wrote
    Also great is the tribal flair of the early action music.
    I like the film though I think it is the weakest in the series. I can't see how this should have affected the score that is IMO a great addition to the musical Star Wars universe.

smile Volker

My least favourite Star Wars score by a county mile. A whole lot of noodling and not much substance. And the film is dog shit! Pure dog shit!

-Erik-