• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    BobdH wrote
    Seriously, people, there's a perfectly fine 71 min. 'regular' version of the MAD MAX: FURY ROAD soundtrack featuring the highlights which is a great listening experience.

That's still 45 minutes too long!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015
    San Andreas - Andrew Lockington

This has pretty much no personality of its own and once I figured that out, I started to skip tracks. The action cues are pretty much indistinguishable from each other, a lot of sound and percussion but nothing that sticks in the mind. The dramatic cues are soft, generic and boring. It got to the point where I could actually predict the music before it happened. Oh, and of course that dreaded Inception horn sound has to be in there.
  1. NP: Ben Hur - Miklos Rozsa

As re-recorded by himself. On Vocalion Dutton
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. The Ghost and the Darkness Goldsmith

I've been looking forward to this arriving so much I've been very childishisly disappointed every day it didn't show up but it finally arrived today! I've been hoping for this release for years and it's wonderful to have it! What an absolutely wonderful release, such a treat to have essentially 3 different versions of this stunning Goldsmith score.
  3. Chappie Zimmer

First listen and really enjoying it, some great soundscapes here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote
    San Andreas - Andrew Lockington

This has pretty much no personality of its own and once I figured that out, I started to skip tracks. The action cues are pretty much indistinguishable from each other, a lot of sound and percussion but nothing that sticks in the mind. The dramatic cues are soft, generic and boring. It got to the point where I could actually predict the music before it happened. Oh, and of course that dreaded Inception horn sound has to be in there.

I agree. Though, as a bit of an action music 'fanboy', I enjoy it. (The theme's not too bad either.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Pirate's Passage - Andrew Lockington

Pleasant. Nice theme. I'm a sucker for Celtic music and happier that this one is a bit softer in tone than some.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Egyptian - Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrmann

I had set aside two hours to listen to Mad Max again but I just couldn't face it so the time is filled with this sublime music instead. A reminder I guess of how far film music has come.
  4. I'm sure you could find plenty of scores from 1954 that are worse than plenty of scores from 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited
  5. Stephen Barton & Harry Gregson-Williams - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Why this one wasn't officially released bugs me completely. It's the single-handedly best score in the series, especially as heard in context (I just have my second playthrough of it, on a higher difficulty level). Even Tyler's decent Modern Warfare 3 is quite pale in comparison.

Don't misconceive that the score is completely electronic... it's not. In fact it's more in Battle of Kerak vein, more orchestral. It does feature guitars and drum loops (mostly in the Marine missions, there is a faux-cool guitar rhythm included), but the bulk of the music is delivered by a decently sized London orchestra (with some overdubs recorded in Prague... why, I don't know). It is mostly a Stephen Barton score (the main theme and at least the "main title" sequence, which has the player character executed in a slightly interactive - you can merely look around - "mission" are definitely by Gregson-Williams).

Even a pop-techno track for a final bonus mission feature French horns blasting the main theme with a quiet dramatic string and brass underpinning... which makes it much better than Djawadi's atrocious rap cue Enemy Down in his Medal of Honor outing (highly underrated in my regard, after playing the game, the touch of subtle tragedy makes much more sense and Heroes Aboard is still the highlight of his career).

The score by Lorne Balfe and half of Santa Monica's population feat. Hans Zimmer is one of the worst game scores I've heard in my life (though there are two or three highlights, mostly unavailable officially... Tyler is a Tyler action score, good for turning off your brain when you need it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. The Ghost and the Darkness Goldsmith

What a score! Cannot stop listening to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    Interstellar Hans Zimmer

Give him the right project and the right director, and he can produce gold. I love this score.
  7. This is one of Goldsmith's score I just can't enjoy. The main theme is good when it's played by orchestra. But I just don't like the synths or the ethnic vocals.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is one of Goldsmith's score I just can't enjoy. The main theme is good when it's played by orchestra. But I just don't like the synths or the ethnic vocals.

Beg your pardon, Alan. What score?

EDIT: Oh, I see. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Ghost and The Darkness is a wonderful score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mad Max - Tom Holkenborg

The Man of Steel / Dark Knight variations are horrific but to give credit where it's due, there is some decent material particularly in the second half of the album (again highly derivative - Tron Legacy / Oblivion / Gravity the obvious ones).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's only decent because he finally gives your ears a rest after hours and hours of abuse!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015 edited
    South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut Marc Shaiman & Trey Parker (and others probably)

A fun score, a brilliant film, a GREAT musical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The songs are just brilliant. Best thing Shaiman's ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (Admittedly I don't know much about Shaiman. If he's done something equally as good as this, I fucking want to know.)
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    (Admittedly I don't know much about Shaiman. If he's done something equally as good as this, I fucking want to know.)

His Addams Family score is a lot of fun.
  9. Brian Tyler - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Not the best score of the Modern Warfare series (this has to be differentiated from the Call of Duty series as a whole as there nobody topped Giacchino yet, methinks), but perhaps the most unadulterated fun of them all. Barton and HGW's score is the most dramatic, but it does have the most compelling story of the lot, it has to be said (there is a genuinely moving moment in part 3 and Tyler's restrained I Stand Alone underscores it with nice restraint).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015
    Steven wrote

Misery, City Slickers 2, Addams Family Values, and The American President are all outstanding!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    City Hall - Jerry Goldsmith

The middle sections of this score aren't terribly exciting but "The Meet" is one of my favorite Goldsmith cues of the 90s. Soundtrack has a great ending too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Josh B wrote
    City Hall - Jerry Goldsmith

The middle sections of this score aren't terribly exciting but "The Meet" is one of my favorite Goldsmith cues of the 90s. Soundtrack has a great ending too.

"The Meet" is pure dynamite. One of my favourite Goldsmith cues!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Misery, City Slickers 2, Addams Family Values, and The American President are all outstanding!

-Erik-

I have to say I love his songs for Hairspray and think that's the best thing he's ever done, but I guess that might not be Steven's thing.
  10. I first thought you love songs about hairspray. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall