• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, we continue to disagree on score and film, but yes, "Across the Stars" seems to be a descendant of Rota's Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet. Fitting, as both themes describe tragic love.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015
    "Across the Stars" is arguably the greatest love theme Williams ever wrote!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Star Trek TOS: There Is In Truth No Beauty? - George Dunning
    As re-recorded by the NPO. Fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    "Across the Stars" is arguably the greatest love theme Williams ever wrote!

I will argue that nothing beats the Love Theme from Superman. It's more pliable than Across The Stars, IMO. Hearing Across The Stars pop up in The Arena action music, for instance, was jarring, felt forced and was out of place.

And if "Han and the Princess" is considered a love theme then that beats Across The Stars EASILY!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015 edited
    I've never cared much for the SUPERMAN love theme, to be honest. Too hokey, and it lacks that sense of bittersweetness that "Across" does. But I'll grant you that much of it has to do with the silly "lyrics version" with Margot Kidder.

The only other love theme that comes close to "Across" in Williams' canon is the love theme from JANE EYRE.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. "Leia's Theme"; "Han Solo and the Princess" "Love Theme from Superman" and "Marion's Theme" are all somewhat interchangeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ That's the load of horse shit right there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hearing Across The Stars pop up in The Arena action music, for instance, was jarring, felt forced and was out of place.

I'm not sure how much that should have any bearing on the music itself, given how bad the film was. I doubt Williams found any inspiration from the film. Instead I imagine he heard Lucas say 'I want this love story to remind us of the films from the 40s and 50s' and took it from there. Across the Stars should be thought of as exactly that, which is why I think Thor may have a point. (And I stress the word 'arguably'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    The only other love theme that comes close to "Across" in Williams' canon is the love theme from JANE EYRE.

That would be my vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

That would be my vote.

I'm definitely with Thor on this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hearing Across The Stars pop up in The Arena action music, for instance, was jarring, felt forced and was out of place.

I'm not sure how much that should have any bearing on the music itself, given how bad the film was. I doubt Williams found any inspiration from the film. Instead I imagine he heard Lucas say 'I want this love story to remind us of the films from the 40s and 50s' and took it from there. Across the Stars should be thought of as exactly that, which is why I think Thor may have a point. (And I stress the word 'arguably'.)

But when used in that context it doesn't work. It's a theme that can only be used for the more romantic/tragic moments, which is its primary function, but other Williams love themes seem to be more pliable, as I said before. Like Han and Leia's love theme, which was used in many different variations, tones and moods.

Having said that, Williams' love themes are all top notch!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting point (on the versatility).
    But maybe that's exactly why I think Across The Stars creates this tremendous emotional impact: like in Rota's love theme for Romeo and Juliet, the inherent tragedy is absolutely obvious. The music already tells us that here is no possible way in which this love can have any kind of happy end. That juxtaposition makes it -being a love theme- cut right through my heart. And that makes it appeal more to my sense of drama than any other type of love theme, no matter how beautiful or clever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Pretty disappointing listening this evening so far: Lost River (Johnny Jewel), Disparue (Frans Bak) and Tokyo Olympiad (Toshiro Mayuzumi) all fail to impress overall. Jewel's Lost River however has some excellent individual tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015 edited
    NP: Babe - Nigel Westlake

This is the superb 2015 re-recording of this magical score. Finally, a version without dialogue! Wonderful stuff. This is one of my favourite re-recordings of the year! Highly recommended!

-Erik-
  5. NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Great action scoring and a top drawer theme that never outstays its welcome.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Pretty disappointing listening this evening so far: Lost River (Johnny Jewel), Disparue (Frans Bak) and Tokyo Olympiad (Toshiro Mayuzumi) all fail to impress overall. Jewel's Lost River however has some excellent individual tracks.

LOST RIVER is only, like, one of my TOP favourite scores of the year! Absolutely bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Pretty disappointing listening this evening so far: Lost River (Johnny Jewel), Disparue (Frans Bak) and Tokyo Olympiad (Toshiro Mayuzumi) all fail to impress overall. Jewel's Lost River however has some excellent individual tracks.

LOST RIVER is only, like, one of my TOP favourite scores of the year! Absolutely bliss!

I can appreciate how this one would be one of your favourites. There are some very good synth tracks on the album and it would make a good non-score based piece. But, with a score hat on, I did find it lacking - I just didn't find it very emotionally engaging.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fair enough. To each their own and all that.

I also think it works wonderfully in the film, which happens to be in my top 3 of the year so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Fair enough. To each their own and all that.

I also think it works wonderfully in the film, which happens to be in my top 3 of the year so far.

Having read up on the film and various comments from people, I can imagine that the score does fit well. I've thought that the score for Lost River works in a similar way to Badalamenti's score for Twin Peaks. Would I be close or way off the mark?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, you're close. There's a lot of David Lynch in Gosling's film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Da Vinci's Demons, Season 3 - Bear McCreary

Very beautiful. The album especially ends well, reminding me of how Bear closed out all of his themes in the Battlestar Galactica finale. There's that same sense of finality here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015 edited
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - Horner

There's no denying the creative spark that is heard throughout the score (Intrada release).
    Certainly in my Horner top 10. Bless his soul !
    Night Time features one hell of a gorgeous melody, one of those that brings tears to the eyes.
    And the action writing is fast & furiously fun !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Oh that melody! Achingly beautiful and very sweet.
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is an enjoyable score for sure.
  8. NP: Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent score. Tense and foreboding with light interludes with "Kay's Theme", I love the ostinato pattern Goldsmith uses in the low strings and brass.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015
    Partition - Brian Tyler

This is easily the best Tyler score I've heard. I don't really like his action music but he definitely shows dramatic chops here. Album is way too long, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I can't get The Mask of Zorro out of my head when I listen to this one.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    NP: Gunman Clive 2 - Arne Hörberg

Completely different from Capricorn One! A purely synth score for a 3DS game, the 30 minutes running time is packed with some great little catchy tunes.

https://arnehrberg.bandcamp.com/album/g … soundtrack
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I can't get The Mask of Zorro out of my head when I listen to this one.

-Erik-

Yup. Also, I'm not sure why (maybe the chord progression) but the main theme reminds me a lot of the Stargate theme.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Point Break - Mark Isham

This gets better you more you listen to it. There's probably 7 or 8 extraneous cues but otherwise it's one of the best fusions of orchestral and electronic elements of its era. Some superb individual set-piece cues too, with 'No Parachute' a personal favourite, though 'Bank Robbery' and 'Night Surfing' are almost as good.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sicario - Johann Johannsson

Love how it just exudes menace like few other recent scores. Possibly works better in the film but it still holds up as a listening experience. Very effectively showcases the different facets of Johannsson's impressive compositional range too after the wonderful Theory of Everything.