• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    Predator - Silvestri

This is one of those scores from my childhood that got me totally interested in this genre of music, the balls to the walls nature is not something I hear enough of these days. Even more than Back to the Future, it was for a long time one of my holiest grails. I remember the days when I first got onto the internet and after having nothing whatsoever except for music recorded from the VHS the bootleg was available digitally by getting it in seperate files from a newsgroup (who remembers those?). After the initial shock of having finally found the music, I launched my dial-up connection and the downloading was a long and painstaking process... but boy that was one of the best days a film music nerd can have when one finally had every cue in 128 kbps MP3s saved on a teeny tiny hard drive. Compare that with now and everything being available everywhere at superfast speeds. Nah, it doesn't quite feel as exciting anymore as those days when finding something like Predator's entire score felt truly rewarding and exciting.

Thank god for the superb VS release many years later. The sound is much better than on that bootleg. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thank god for the superb VS release many years later. The sound is much better than on that bootleg. cheesy

Intrada's release sounds even better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. It does? Because apart from some background hiss (which doesn't annoy me) I think the Varèse sounds fantastic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh, Varese's sound great but Intrada pretty much eliminated the hiss when they found a better source for their CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    I've always preferred the second score (and the original album). It's not quite as 'gritty' as the first. But I owned the PREDATOR boot once. I think if it had come out in a decent album arrangement, with improved sound, I'd have bought it at the time.

Certainly a highlight of this year's WSA was to hear the PREDATOR suite, even if it was performed rather slowly, with strange pauses inbetween the percussive hits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Certainly a highlight of this year's WSA was to hear the PREDATOR suite, even if it was performed rather slowly, with strange pauses inbetween the percussive hits.

If it sounded anything like it did on that WSA CD then... yeah... vomit

Predator seems to be a tough one to perform. All the alternate recordings I have of the theme sound dreadful.

-Erik-
  2. It's not unusual though that film music is performed a bit slower off screen to carve out certain aspects of the music that would otherwise pass unnoticed.
    No idea of course if this has anything to do with the above discussion.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, and sometimes it works. It's just that the percussive hits of the PREDATOR theme are supposed to be rapid-fire (like machine gun fire), not two hits first, pause, then another two etc. That's just awkward. Beyond that, though, I found the Brussels Philharmonic performance quite alright.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Why did everyone get a promo copy while I co-funded this release??? It was not part of the deal to give the thing away to eevrybody! dizzy
    Kazoo
  3. Did you read the small print? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Why did everyone get a promo copy while I co-funded this release??? It was not part of the deal to give the thing away to eevrybody! dizzy

I only got a digital version, and I think that goes for most critics. I never got a physical release -- although there was a table with them when I interviewed Silvestri. I stupidly forgot to ask if they were free -- I could even have gotten it signed! crazy

But yeah -- I think you should have gotten a free copy as a co-funder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I got a copy of course, it was part of the package. Just as there was a package for 10EUR where you would get a digital copy.

I just wonder why everyone else got a free one (not that I mind, I just think it's weird to ask for funding, when afterwards you give everything away when the funding budget was not even reached). I'm happy to support these projects, it's just all a bit odd. spin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    En Mai etc - E Morricone

This is special. So many lush, wonderful melodies. Probably my new favourite of 2015 (so far...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Morricone's dramatic writing is often far too heavy for me, and this score is no exception. Even Schindler's List is more fun than this score.
  4. NP: The Arti: The Adventure Begins - Chen Chien-chi

Impressive orchestral score for this Taiwanese puppet animation movie that features a wooden robot. Ranges from exciting action scoring to light, comedic touches.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/tLRLyNqY3YI
    Audio clips: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arti-Adventure- … ure+begins
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015
    (Genuine question) How do you find these things!? You listen to so much stuff that I've never even heard of!
  5. Southall wrote
    (Genuine question) How do you find these things!? You listen to so much stuff that I've never even heard of!

I just keep an eye out daily for what's released digitally. The majority is not worth the effort, but sometimes there's stuff worth investigating further.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

The opening track and that main theme is so strong that I find the remainder of the score suffers a bit. Safan litters the score with numerous fragments of the theme, a choice I find a bit off putting. But, when the main theme gets a full and grand treatment from the orchestra, that's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Concerts.
  7. NP: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

For the first time in two or three years I listen to the RCA/Sony presentation of an original trilogy score, not to the Fox one. Two hours of music are massive, but this exceptional score carries even through that duration.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

There... I corrected your post.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

It goes: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, [deleted from memory], Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's just The Force Awakens to me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But it's being touted as that from its inception, so I'm fine with it -- whereas the original trilogy was retroactively changed due to Lucas's pissing about with his idiotic prequel notions. I just wish they'd get rid of the episode bullshit. It's needlessly confusing to most people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015 edited
    I'll never call The Force Awakens - Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Just like I don't call The Phantom Menace - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. The prequels are The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. But I guess the prequels deserve their shitty titles because of how shitty the films are.

And don't get me started on the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark bullshit that's out there now.

crazy

-Erik-
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

There... I corrected your post.

-Erik-

No, you didn't. I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    suicide
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    And don't get me started on the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark bullshit that's out there now.

crazy

No, you mean Indiana Jones Episode II: The Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Intoxicating music whatever the film's title.