• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Intoxicating music whatever the film's title.

biggrin

Wise words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015 edited
    Apollo 13 James Horner

I'd forgotten how good this film was, having watched it recently. A truly inspirational story. People have gone to space, set foot on the moon almost 50 years ago, with technology far less capable than a smartphone. It's incredible. That's the sort of odds they were dealing with. I think Eddie Izzard sums it up quite well:

"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you fucking turn up and say well done.”

What's more, Horner turns all that into music. And that's why this score is so great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote

Even if it had been "Debby Does Dantooine (and takes it up the Death Star)"?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is a very fine film ( brilliant score ) but the bit about the wedding ring isn't true.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    It is a very fine film ( brilliant score ) but the bit about the wedding ring isn't true.

The film takes a few artistic 'decisions', that's for sure, but I think it mostly works in the service of a larger theme. The launch sequence is the best launch sequence I've ever seen in any film (despite a few dodgy effects showing their age, namely the background looking like it was rendered on an N64).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great film, stupendous score!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

lol

I believe that film would have had a doodling synth score in endless loops. tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Neither is sound in space. Just saying.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

And you know that for a fact? Prove it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I couldn't hear him scream...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've also heard you can't breathe in space? Well, I've yet to see an Astronaut put that one to the test.
  2. Also laser beams are invisible. (And don't tell me about dust.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lies! I saw James Bond nearly lose his crown jewels to a great big red one. FACT!
  3. These are realy crap films. I think I'll never watch them again.
  4. NP: Luther (2003) - Richard Harvey

Great "religious" score, this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Luther (2003) - Richard Harvey

Never heard it, but count me interested. Harvey seems particularly adept at such landscapes, such as the fantastic "Bliss" track from FIFTY SHADES OF GREY (which outshines anything Elfman did for the film).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Apollo 13 actually doesn't really have sound in space. When it does, the camera is so close you could just treat it as extrapolating what the astronauts hear from the inside (in fact, Howard alludes at that in the commentary, when he discusses the "pop pop pop pop" moment as something that the astronauts treated as relief during the mission, so they heard it from the module itself).

And as far as I understand from Marylin Lovell's comments (the commentary track featuring the Lovells), she did lose the ring, but got it back.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Apollo 13 actually doesn't really have sound in space. When it does, the camera is so close you could just treat it as extrapolating what the astronauts hear from the inside (in fact, Howard alludes at that in the commentary, when he discusses the "pop pop pop pop" moment as something that the astronauts treated as relief during the mission, so they heard it from the module itself).

Yeah... no. Every fly by of the rocket in space and you hear a whoosh! And every space shot has a low hum/wind sound. And during the "Adjusting Angle of Re-entry" sequence, the giant rocket and those adjustment puffs, for the lack of a better word, are all making sounds outside of the ship! Inside the ship there's a different sound design.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015
    But you have to extrapolate all that, Erik. (I'm sure it tells you in the liner notes, which Pawel appears to have read.)
  6. NP: Child 44 - Jon Ekstrand

Quite an impressive score. Ominous feel throughout with some strong strings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Never heard it, but count me interested. Harvey seems particularly adept at such landscapes, such as the fantastic "Bliss" track from FIFTY SHADES OF GREY (which outshines anything Elfman did for the film).

That was David Buckley, not Richard Harvey. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

??? confused

Whatever. Great track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015 edited
    THE 33 - James Horner

It just went up on Spotify. The first two tracks have a lot of Hornerisms you would expect from the setting of the film (some pipes familiar from CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, lilting guitar playing a melody a lot like the one from the song in MASK OF ZORRO (the first couple bars are identical)). The second track is particularly lovely.

I'm on "The Collapse" now, which has some real driving force. It reminds me a lot of some of the more intense moments of THE MISSING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Ah, sorry, you're right.

But Richard Harvey definitely wrote those great pieces in DA VINCI CODE. Or was that Richard Hartley? Dammit! Well, he wrote SOMETHING great or another.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MAD MEN (David Carbonara)

Never seen the show, and have no particular intention to, but this is a lovely, loungey album that can work on multiple occasions.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I prefer Phil Bolognese's work, myself.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Nightmare on Elm St. - Charles Bernstein

Funny how tastes change - over and over. Never thought I'd be enjoying a virtually all electronic horror score as much as this again. When I last saw the film about 10 years ago I remember thinking how horribly dated and awful Bernstein's score was. But I love his creepily sinuous theme now and there's more than enough variety to sustain this expanded release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I prefer Phil Bolognese's work, myself.

And Mike Arabiata. What a saucy trio they are.
  9. Joe Agliolio's done some flavorful stuff as well.