• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Star Wars And Other Galactic Funk (1977) - Meco

New in my collection. I always meant to get this album and now came round to. After all it is a vital part of that miracle of 1977 along with the original OST and the recordings by Charles Gerhardt and Zubin Mehta.
    It's actually really good, if you like things like this.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015
    NP: THE EDGE (Jerry Goldsmith)

Wonderful score, even if the last track has faulty sound with lots of digital crackling and whatnot. I bought it second-hand, and I've never bothered to replace it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Wars And Other Galactic Funk (1977) - Meco

New in my collection. I always meant to get this album and now came round to. After all it is a vital part of that miracle of 1977 along with the original OST and the recordings by Charles Gerhardt and Zubin Mehta.
    It's actually really good, if you like things like this.

It's bloody brilliant! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: I.Q. (Jerry Goldsmith)

Pretty unoffensive score. Slightly annoying with all the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" cameos, but OK. Did Goldsmith also write the 50's-style rock music?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Pretty "unoffensive"? What is that supposed to mean. You think it's worth telling the board you found a score that does not offend you? So far I was under the impression that you actually like film music?

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015 edited
    As far as I know, it's an English term that means something a la 'going by the numbers' or 'breezing along'. Should probably be 'inoffensive', though, not 'unoffensive'. Sorry, I've started to drink, and everyone knows where that is heading.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    As far as I know, it's an English term that means something a la 'going by the numbers' or 'breezing along'. Should probably be 'inoffensive', though, not 'unoffensive'. Sorry, I've started to drink, and everyone knows where that is heading.

Yeah, it isn't a damning verdict Captain.

Thor, I'm on the lash tonight too. Cheers! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I learn something new every day here. beer

NP: Conan the Barbarian Transcribed for Organ (2015) - Basil Poledouris
    Performed by Philipp Pelster

I wasn't sure I'd like this upon listening to "Anvil of Crom". But now that the album progresses it starts to grow on me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015
    NP: HEUTE BIN ICH BLOND (Johan Hoogewijs)

One of the highlight scores of 2013, IMO. Delicate and introspective.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote

I wasn't sure I'd like this upon listening to "Anvil of Crom". But now that the album progresses it starts to grow on me.

I think it's bleeding excellent! Excellent interpretation, with passion and respect for both the source material and the instrument.
    I have just purchased Peister's re-recording of El Cid, and am anxiously awaiting delivery!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Black Sails - Bear McCreary

Aside from the fact I really love the series, I really love this soundtrack, which I think is easily Bear's best.
    Fantastic piratey music, with a really clever and enjoyably personal slant (Bear using the hurdy-gurdy as a period instrument to belt out the main theme, and throughout as "leit"-intrument).

What I cannot understand is that his Da Vinci Demons (a nice enough score for a fairly mediocre series) is now at three albumes (andone extended one), his Outlander (an enjoyable score, but nothing outstanding, for a series I do not know) on two....yet Black Sails is stuck with just one measly issue, and with season 3 beginning in two months' time too. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like the BLACK SAILS series, but the soundtrack didn't do much for me. However, I loved both DA VINCI and OUTLANDER. Of course, Bear should just make one, properly arranged album of each and leave it at that, but he seems to be churning out all these mammoth sequel albums and expansions that undermine some of the music's quality (over-exposure).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KON-TIKI (Johan Söderqvist)

One of my favourite scores last year (or is it two years already?).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I think it's bleeding excellent! Excellent interpretation, with passion and respect for both the source material and the instrument.
    I have just purchased Peister's re-recording of El Cid, and am anxiously awaiting delivery!

I agree. When the album was finished it had won me over completely. A joy to listen to.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Martijn wrote

Aside from the fact I really love the series, I really love this soundtrack, which I think is easily Bear's best.
    Fantastic piratey music, with a really clever and enjoyably personal slant (Bear using the hurdy-gurdy as a period instrument to belt out the main theme, and throughout as "leit"-intrument).

What I cannot understand is that his Da Vinci Demons (a nice enough score for a fairly mediocre series) is now at three albumes (andone extended one), his Outlander (an enjoyable score, but nothing outstanding, for a series I do not know) on two....yet Black Sails is stuck with just one measly issue, and with season 3 beginning in two months' time too. slant

It might not have sold well. Outlander has the Ron Moore connection which will get BSG fans to pick it up and Da Vinci's music is simply more immediately accessible. Or it's just as likely that Bear is preparing a season 2 release. wink
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Luther (2003) - Richard Harvey

Great "religious" score, this one.

Never heard it, but count me interested. Harvey seems particularly adept at such landscapes, such as the fantastic "Bliss" track from FIFTY SHADES OF GREY (which outshines anything Elfman did for the film).

Upon listening I discovered major glitches in my digital copy. I tried to rip it again today but that didn't work out. Fact is, that there are audio files and software on this CD. (The trailer and some player to play it back with.) EAC refused to rip it altogether and hung itself up. WMP does copy it but with the same glitches as before. Windows file manage won't even let me access the audio files. sad This CD doesn't seem to fit the red book specifications.

EDIT: Nero BurningRom allowed me to separate the audio files from the software folder. The resulting mp3 rip still isn't perfect but is a major improvement to what I had before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pan John Powell

This is one of his best, and my favourite of 2015 (along with Jurassic World).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015 edited
    Josh B wrote
    Martijn wrote

It might not have sold well. Outlander has the Ron Moore connection which will get BSG fans to pick it up and Da Vinci's music is simply more immediately accessible. Or it's just as likely that Bear is preparing a season 2 release. wink

All good points...although I live in hopes for your last one to be the explanation! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015 edited
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

My favourite from last year, along with Interstellar and Godzilla. Arguably his best score. I wonder what Powell will bring me next year...
  6. Steven wrote
    Pan John Powell

Pan is so much better than Jurassic World it's not even funny.

Also, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is so much better than Godzilla and Interstellar it's not even funny.

Biased? Moi? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GODZILLA is horrible on album (but works reasonably well in the movie -- which I loved). JURASSIC WORLD is disastrously poor either way. INTERSTELLAR is fantastic. HTTYD 2 is one of the 10 best scores last year, but INTERSTELLAR is better. PAN is OK-ish, but rather by-the-numbers, and a pale HTTYD wannabe.

I have spoken.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    GODZILLA is horrible on album (but works reasonably well in the movie -- which I loved). JURASSIC WORLD is disastrously poor either way. INTERSTELLAR is fantastic. HTTYD 2 is one of the 10 best scores last year, but INTERSTELLAR is better. PAN is OK-ish, but rather by-the-numbers, and a pale HTTYD wannabe.

I have spoken.

A lot of nonsense. wink
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pan John Powell

Pan is so much better than Jurassic World it's not even funny.

Also, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is so much better than Godzilla and Interstellar it's not even funny.

Biased? Moi? wink

Are you high? cool wink
  9. There are fewer things finer in this world than a Powell high. cool

Oh, and...

Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

I have spoken.

A lot of nonsense. wink

yeah, especially that bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015
    No, it is the Truth. You must accept it, lest you shall forever disappear.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote

Unless you smear yourself with vegetable oil and slide away naked.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote

Unless you smear yourself with vegetable oil and slide away naked.

Say what?!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's fantasising about you Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scary.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Midnight Express (1978) - Giorgio Moroder

Not only a great film score but also one of the greatest electronica albums ever.

This whole Midnight Express against Superman thing repeated itself three years later with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Chariots of Fire.
    The revolution in electronic music, brought about by the use of sequencers, coincided with the return of lush, romantic orchestral film scoring. Great times.

smile Volker