• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Midnight Express (1978) - Giorgio Moroder

Not only a great film score but also one of the greatest electronica scores ever.

This whole Midnight Express against Superman thing repeated itself three years later with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Chariots of Fire.
    The revolution in electronic music, brought about by the use of sequencers, coincided with the return of lush, romantic orchestral film scoring. Great times.

smile Volker

yeah

You tell 'em, Volker! Down with these synth naysayers!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015
    NP: THE LIBERATOR (Gustavo Dudamel)

Who would have thought that Dudamel had it in him to compose such a lush score! Great conductor, sure, but film composer? Certainly took me by surprise.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Captain Future (1980) - Christian Bruhn

cool
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Captain Future (1978) - Yuji Ohno

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Southall - Kelvin Wheelbarrow

Shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    NP: Southall - Kelvin Wheelbarrow

Shite.

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Wipe that stupid grin off your face and play something by Patrick Doyle or Brian Tyler! angry
  4. The Land Before Time Horner

One of my absolute favourites, a sublime score. I know it's dripping with classical influences but I just don't care and there's no way that the direct quotes of the trapping the wolf motif from 'Peter and the Wolf' for the trapping of the T-Rex at the end of a children's story is a mistake!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    This whole Midnight Express against Superman thing repeated itself three years later with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Chariots of Fire.

Another fucking travesty!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015
    Sinister - Chris Young

One of my top 5 favourite composers of all time but I have no hesitation in saying this is probably his worst - or at least most unlistenable - score. With endless vocal and other distortions it comes across as more sound design than anything approximating music.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mr. Holmes - Carter Burwell

The main theme alone is exquisite. Burwell's all round class really shines through in this little gem.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Another fucking travesty!

-Erik-

Exactly. Chariots of Fire is a catchy theme and nothing more. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a catchy theme that serves as the cornerstone of a brilliant composition.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The 33 - James Horner

A good theme (and I'm not talking about the one from "Glory"), a good action cue and lots of low-key, morose string writing. I'm not going to pretend that this is top-notch Horner but it feels like everything we get from him now is a gift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Exactly. Chariots of Fire is a catchy theme and nothing more.

I think you need to listen to that score again. There's a lot of great tracks beyond the iconic theme, like the gorgeous cue "Five Circles".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I tried. But beyond the iconic theme, there really isn't much of substance at all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You really don't like synths, do you, Martijn?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It has the substance of a towering mountain.
  7. Getting caught up in the release of the upcoming The Force Awakens just before Christmas:

https://youtu.be/Jzo4QDfJhvA?list=PL48k … aiKflKvAgz
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Captain Future wrote
    It has the substance of a towering mountain.

As does a molehill, to an ant.

Oh burn!
  9. Whatever ...

NP: El Cid for Organ (2015) - Miklos Rozsa
    Transcribed and performed by Philipp Pelster, Taru Erlich (Violin)

This is outstanding!
    In contrast to Poledouris, organ transcriptions aren't entirely new to the world of Rozsa, if we consider "The Twelve Choruses".

smile Volker
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Whatever ...

NP: El Cid for Organ (2015) - Miklos Rozsa
    Transcribed and performed by Philipp Pelster, Taru Erlich (Violin)

This is outstanding!
    In contrast to Poledouris, organ transcriptions aren't entirely new to the world of Rozsa, if we consider "The Twelve Choruses".

smile Volker

I look forward to hearing it when it's released here in the UK.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    You really don't like synths, do you, Martijn?

I have no problem with synths at all!
    In fact, I really enjoy much of Isao Tomita's groundbreaking work, and in soundtracks I think the synth work from Tangerine Dream, Jan Hammer, Brad Fiedel or Christopher Franke is excellent! But I sure as f*ck wouldn't give them a consideration OVER masterpieces such as Superman or Raiders Of The Lost Ark!

Captain Future wrote
    It has the substance of a towering mountain.

Dirt, mud, a bit of rock and some animal excrement?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Enough! In the corner with you! Here's your behaviour reflection sheet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Getting caught up in the release of the upcoming The Force Awakens just before Christmas:

https://youtu.be/Jzo4QDfJhvA?list=PL48k … aiKflKvAgz

Wow. Just . . . wow. How have I never know about this before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I have no problem with synths at all!
    In fact, I really enjoy much of Isao Tomita's groundbreaking work, and in soundtracks I think the synth work from Tangerine Dream, Jan Hammer, Brad Fiedel or Christopher Franke is excellent! But I sure as f*ck wouldn't give them a consideration OVER masterpieces such as Superman or Raiders Of The Lost Ark!

Apples and oranges. MIDNIGHT and CHARIOTS are masterpieces too, but in a different idiom.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The 33 James Horner

Given the descriptions in the track titles, I have a suspicion this is not a film that I'll connect with. The music is paint-by-numbers by Horner's standards. A few nice bits here and there, and I enjoy the pan flute-type music, but this isn't one I'll ever return to. Still, it's better than Southpaw (though not quite as good as Wolf Totem).

His last truly great score was Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Given the descriptions in the track titles, I have a suspicion this is not a film that I'll connect with. The music is paint-by-numbers by Horner's standards. A few nice bits here and there, and I enjoy the pan flute-type music, but this isn't one I'll ever return to. Still, it's better than Southpaw (though not quite as good as Wolf Totem).

His last truly great score was Avatar.

I haven't heard THE 33 yet, but I think that is a likely evaluation, yes. Although I must say I'm quite curious about Antoine Fuqua's upcoming THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN remake, which Horner allegedly wrote the score for before he passed (and before the film was even shot?).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DOWNTON ABBEY (John Lunn)

Never seen a single episode, but there are some great tracks here -- even a hint of my beloved religious sound in "The Fallen".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: DOWNTON ABBEY (John Lunn)

Never seen a single episode, but there are some great tracks here -- even a hint of my beloved religious sound in "The Fallen".

I like the scores. I saw the first season and got quickly bored by it. A load of overated revisionist toss.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. I also saw the first season and felt lukewarm about it. It felt like a remake of "Upstairs, Downstairs". But, yes, the score is fine. I got that best-of compilation.