• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015
    Luv - Nuno Malo

Saw the film this was written for last week, featuring a quite decent performance by former rapper Common. Malo seems an odd choice and although his music doesn't make much of an impression until the finale, it makes more sense on CD where the shape of it is easier to decipher. Plenty of electronics mixed into what is essentially a smaller scale score but they aren't inappropriate at all. It's really growing on me this score.
  1. Steven wrote
    His last truly great score was Avatar.

I really like his Spider-Man score and For Greater Glory and Wolf Totem, but "truly great"...yeah, I'm inclined to agree with that. Avatar was also the first Horner score I ever actively anticipated (i.e. the first Horner score that came out after I became a film score fan). That bums me out all over again, that I only ever once got to hear a new GREAT score by him.
  2. THE 33 - Horner.

"Celebrations" may contain the biggest case of self-plagiarism in this score, but that doesn't stop it from being my favorite track on the album.

As for Horner's "last truly great score," that's pretty hard for me to categorize. What's the difference between a great score and a really good one? I don't love AVATAR as much as everyone else around here. It's pretty good, but I prefer BLACK GOLD and WOLF TOTEM to it. But are those "truly great" scores? I like them quite a bit, but I probably wouldn't go that far. I guess I'd have to go back to LEGEND OF ZORRO for a Horner score that fits that description for me.

Thank you for reading my rambling train of thought there.
  3. David OC wrote
    Luv - Nuno Malo

Saw the film this was written for last week, featuring a quite decent performance by former rapper Common. Malo seems an odd choice and although his music doesn't make much of an impression until the finale, it makes more sense on CD where the shape of it is easier to decipher. Plenty of electronics mixed into what is essentially a smaller scale score but they aren't inappropriate at all. It's really growing on me this score.

That is pretty different for Malo. I'm not as much a fan of this as most of what I've heard from him. I do enjoy the "Visions of a Better Life" track toward the end, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015
    NP: TWIN PEAKS (Angelo Badalamenti)

Probably the score and album that made me interested in soundtracks in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Since I find its title not very appealing, I just call it Episode VII.

Because for the first time since Lucas added the episode count, it's actually true from every perspective. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Since I find its title not very appealing, I just call it Episode VII.

Because for the first time since Lucas added the episode count, it's actually true from every perspective. wink

TWIN PEAKS: EPISODE VII?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    christopher wrote
    David OC wrote
    Luv - Nuno Malo

That is pretty different for Malo. I'm not as much a fan of this as most of what I've heard from him. I do enjoy the "Visions of a Better Life" track toward the end, though.

It is a very different score from his fully orchestral stuff. Not as good but not unlikable by any means. Have Backlight to listen to for the first time soon.

The Mechanic - Mark Isham
    Great that Isham was able to get the entire score out there. Halfway through and there are some undeniably robust highlights but a little of this goes a long way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Since I find its title not very appealing, I just call it Episode VII.

TWIN PEAKS: EPISODE VII?

I just got thored, didn't I? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't be a Thor loser now! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Thor blimey!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pun-tastic! I thoroughly approve.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015
    Star Wars: Battlefront Gordy Haab

Wow...

I could have been told this was from the new Force Awakens score and I wouldn't have had any suspicions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Wow...

I could have been told this was from the new Force Awakens score and I wouldn't have had any suspicions.

My goodness but you're not wrong.

I can hear all the "tricks" he's nicked from Williams but then I wouldn't even suggest that if it was actually Williams.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Marley and Me - Theodore Shapiro

First rate scores can sometimes arrive from the most unlikely sources. With three excellent themes - a couple used movingly and without any real saccharine - and plenty of breezy one-off pieces, this might just be Shapiro's finest all round score to date.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    She Devil - Howard Shore

The pastiche bits are grating whilst the rollicking main idea is brilliant but overused. It all begins to wear out soon enough however. Can't say I really enjoy it too much. A bit of a poor relative to The Witches of Eastwick perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote

Wow...

Gordy Haab nails it perfectly.
    I bet if Williams eventually hands the baton over the producers will turn a blind eye to Haab and give the task to an established name (even possibly from Zimmer's team). A bit sad to think.
  6. Steven wrote

Wow...

Wow indeed. I mean, I played a couple of games during the Beta and didn't realise all of this. I just thought it was Williams. From somewhere. I should have noticed that I didn't really know the tracks, but they sounded so familiar in style, and the game itself kep my attention elsewhere (DAMN those snipers!!!). Wow, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, very good pastiche. Although other composers have been nailing the Williams sound for years -- like Joel McNeely or Mike Verta. I have a feeling that Williams' own score for TFA won't sound quite like that, though. He's developped quite a bit in the last 10 years, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Howl - Carter Burwell

Such a great score. Has his distinctive voice in every note but there are a few richly unique embellishments to savour here. One of his finest works. Can't wait to hear Carol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars: Kinect Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster

Why didn't I know about this!? Apparently this was released about three years ago. This is excellent, it's non-stop Williamsesque action scoring. People with tinnitus need not apply (except Erik).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Non-stop action scoring? Sounds exhausting.
    I dearly love the action sequence tracks in any of the three Star Wars movies, but they wouldn't work half as well had they not been properly alternated with romantic, lyrical or epic tracks.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    I can empathise, but I'm an action music junkie, and this is heaven for me. It's gym music! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I dearly love the action sequence tracks in any of the three Star Wars movies, but they wouldn't work half as well had they not been properly alternated with romantic, lyrical or epic tracks.

Exactly. Although I wouldn't mind if it was just the romantic, lyrical and -- if you must -- epic. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Exactly. Although I wouldn't mind if it was just the romantic, lyrical and -- if you must -- epic. smile

Oh yes.
    I must.
  7. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Really? You'd take all the action cues out of Star Wars?

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Really? You'd take all the action cues out of Star Wars?

dizzy

No, I was talking more in general.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Ah, I see - in that case I'm rather less taken aback.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

yeah

In fact "action music" is pretty low on my list of film music loves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's highest on mine, but as I said I can understand how non-stop, frenetic action music would be too much. If I was making an album for others to listen to, I would prefer some breaks in between.