• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015
    Wrath of the Titans - Javier Navarrete

The main theme is strong enough, I think, to be put through the wringer a million times, even in the action music which is brash and highly entertaining. Obviously Navarrete compromised his style for this project which is always a little sad to see. There's a whiff of mid-range Brian Tyler about some of the less interesting material.
  1. Josh B wrote
    Ori and the Blind Forest - Gareth Coker

Gets better every time I listen to it. Also makes me want to replay the game (but I'm waiting for the definitive edition they're working on).

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll get the game at a later date. And yeah, the music, I trimmed that release to about 55 minutes and it's a delight.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Josh B wrote

Gets better every time I listen to it. Also makes me want to replay the game (but I'm waiting for the definitive edition they're working on).

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll get the game at a later date. And yeah, the music, I trimmed that release to about 55 minutes and it's a delight.

Out of curiosity, what's your playlist? I also think the release is too long but I'm not exactly sure what I'd cut.
  2. My new ideal constellation for Avatar sequels going forward is Don Davis for the action music and Gareth Coker for the foresty nature stuff. I reckon the odds of that happening are roughly equivalent to the chances of ISIS transforming into a humanitarian aid organization, but - in both cases - one can always dream...
  3. Josh B wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Josh B wrote

Out of curiosity, what's your playlist? I also think the release is too long but I'm not exactly sure what I'd cut.

1. Ori, Lost in the Storm
    2. Naru, Embracing the Light
    3. Calling Out
    5. Inspiriting
    8. Up the Spirit Caverns Walls
    9. The Spirit Tree
    10. Kuro's Tale I – Her Rage
    13. The Ancestral Trees
    14. Gumo's Hideout
    15. Breaking Through the Trap
    16. Climbing the Ginso Tree
    17. Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
    18. The Waters Cleansed
    21. Escaping the Ruins
    22. Kuro's Tale II – Her Pain
    23. Riding the Wind
    24. Completing the Circle
    25. Approaching the End
    30. Fleeing Kuro
    31. The Sacrifice
    32. Light of Nibel
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: Back to the Future (1985)

The songs. I got a second hand copy of the original album and added the songs to Intrada's C&C release. Nice.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Josh B wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Josh B wrote

1. Ori, Lost in the Storm
    2. Naru, Embracing the Light
    3. Calling Out
    5. Inspiriting
    8. Up the Spirit Caverns Walls
    9. The Spirit Tree
    10. Kuro's Tale I – Her Rage
    13. The Ancestral Trees
    14. Gumo's Hideout
    15. Breaking Through the Trap
    16. Climbing the Ginso Tree
    17. Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
    18. The Waters Cleansed
    21. Escaping the Ruins
    22. Kuro's Tale II – Her Pain
    23. Riding the Wind
    24. Completing the Circle
    25. Approaching the End
    30. Fleeing Kuro
    31. The Sacrifice
    32. Light of Nibel

Interesting. You cut out a good chunk of the area themes whereas I'd be more inclined to cut out the shorter, cinematic pieces.
  5. The tracks that go in one ear and out the other, of which there are a few, always go. It's how I operate if I make a custom playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, that's just how you roll!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Josh B wrote

Just giving this a listen. Really pretty stuff. I can't believe how good game scores have gotten.
  6. LSH wrote
    Josh B wrote

Just giving this a listen. Really pretty stuff. I can't believe how good game scores have gotten.

Have been for quite some time! I listen to them more than new film scores these days, because they're more like what came out of Hollywood decades ago.
  7. AI John Williams

A Masterpiece.
  8. Martijn wrote
    Yeah, that's just how you roll!

Right on homey ! Ya dig !
  9. NP: Watership Down (1978) - Angela Morley; Malcolm Williamson; Mike Batt

At long last I was able to lay my hands on this wonderful little score.
    There are no true grails remaining now on my list, except for Schickele's SILENT RUNNING. (For which Varese probably would have to come to terms with Joan Baez.)

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Watership Down (1978) - Angela Morkey; Malcolm Williamson; Mike Batt

One of my very favourite scores to an animated film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. NP: Wall E (2008) - Thomas Newman

I far to seldom scroll down to "W".
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Josh B wrote

Have been for quite some time! I listen to them more than new film scores these days, because they're more like what came out of Hollywood decades ago.

Well I've never really been that much into games so I don't notice the music, like I would with a film. Having said that, I've liked a lot of what I've heard. Especially that Journey score by Austin Wintory(sp?).
  11. NP: Walkabout - John Barry
    Re-recording 2001

Outstanding!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Walkabout - John Barry
    Re-recording 2001

Outstanding!

Isn't it just! For me there isn't anything quite like JB's unique style of blissful choral music.

A real shame the original recording is missing. A bootleg exists ( in fact I have it on LP ) but it's missing some great tracks which thankfully the Silva recording addresses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Walkabout - John Barry
    Re-recording 2001

Outstanding!

Love it!
  12. LSH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Josh B wrote

Well I've never really been that much into games so I don't notice the music, like I would with a film. Having said that, I've liked a lot of what I've heard. Especially that Journey score by Austin Wintory(sp?).

The stuff that Blizzard puts out, the company responsible for the Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo series, featuring the type of rousing and stunning orchestral music that gets my blood pumping, are some of my favorites. Then there's also the Halo series, Outcast, The Dig, Medal of Honor, Final Fantasy, which all feature music of sheer brilliance. And so many more to list here. You don't need to be a fan of videogames to appreciate what comes out of that domain. Because like film music they can be standalone experiences.
  13. NP:
    Watership Down (1978) - Angela Morley; Malcolm Williamson; Mike Batt
    Watership Down (2000) - Mike Batt

Rabbits everywhere. Both scores are terrific efforts and and of course they are linked by "Bright Eyes".

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2015 edited
    NP: SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - James Horner

Just came in from the cold after a gruelling 13 hour day. Fire on... bottle of wine. For some reason, this album reached out for me. Bliss.

cool
  14. A couple of videos featuring music, composed by "composer and audio director" FlybyNo, from recent game Echoes of Auriga (part of the Endless Legend series:

https://youtu.be/TUJ_woKYD4k

https://youtu.be/JHb3iRVHRPY

The first, "Way of the Forerunner", is particularly hypnotic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  15. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

First time in a long time and it feels like revisiting an old friend. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2015
    Supernova Olivier Deriviere

Remember Me is my favourite overall score, Assassin's Creed has better highlights, and this has my favourite track from all three of these scores.

He deserves far more projects than I'm aware he's getting.
  16. NP: Pan (2015) - John Powell

Good³!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015
    A crap ton of new releases to listen to and I'm still on Ori. Maybe tomorrow, I'll listen to Assassin's Creed Syndicate? I like Wintory's work a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015 edited
    I've been listening to a bunch of stuff I've never heard before today.

MY ALL AMERICAN - John Paesano

Easily my new favorite of his. I think he's a very promising talent. He channels Goldsmith here. "Texas Wins" is certainly inspired by Rudy, orchestrationally. There's plenty of Americana and a lot of what you'd expect from an inspirational sports film score, though it's not as memorable (at least after one listen) as the classics in that genre. My favorite track was "Lakewood," which at first sounds like it escaped from a western.

And speaking of westerns, that's totally the vibe the Danna brothers went for in THE GOOD DINOSAUR.

I thought this was pretty good. It got pretty samey in the middle, but the last 10 tracks redeemed it. "Run With the Herd" and "Goodbye Spot" were my favorite tracks.

CHAIKA - Pascal Gaigne

I wasn't such a fan of this one. There was a nice guitar thing happening in the opening track, but it never got that interesting again.

LES ENFANTS DE TIMPELBACH - Frederic Talgorn

This is in the same spirit as LES AIGUILLES ROUGES, though it doesn't have anywhere near as memorable a theme. "La Bataille," though, impressed me the most from this score. the piece starts out slowly, but throughout the piece you get that John William's vibe that Talgorn does, which is pleasant. From 6:00 to about 7:30 is pretty great. And then the end is soft and pretty. If you have nine minutes, you could give it a list.

QUESTO E IL MIO PAESE - Paolo Vivaldi

Some pretty good TV scoring from Vivaldi. I like the opening track quite a bit. It features a piano over strings, and there's quite a bit of movement to it. It's nice. I also liked "Anna's Ballad," which has more piano (certainly the dominant instrument for this score), but the strings get a chance to shine a bit brighter. It's all somewhat rythmic and not terribly memorable, but I enjoyed it. The rest was pretty good, too, but those are my two favorite tracks from this score after one listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015 edited
    christopher wrote
    QUESTO E IL MIO PAESE - Paolo Vivaldi

Some pretty good TV scoring from Vivaldi. I like the opening track quite a bit. It features a piano over strings, and there's quite a bit of movement to it. It's nice. I also liked "Anna's Ballad," which has more piano (certainly the dominant instrument for this score), but the strings get a chance to shine a bit brighter. It's all somewhat rythmic and not terribly memorable, but I enjoyed it. The rest was pretty good, too, but those are my two favorite tracks from this score after one listen.

The first track must have been tempted with the main theme from The Piano (Nyman) or so, because really, that's all what I was thinking about. But it's indeed a nice score. I noticed you listening to it on Spotify, so I did then myself. A good to discover nice little scores (just like I discovered the previous Vivaldi score, La Freccia del Sud, which is really a favourite of mine this year).
    Kazoo