• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. First Knight Goldsmith

Far too long since I listened to this, what a great score which works brilliantly in complete form. I know some people don't like Goldsmith's later stuff but I adore so much of his final 10 years of work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    First Knight Goldsmith

Far too long since I listened to this, what a great score which works brilliantly in complete form. I know some people don't like Goldsmith's later stuff but I adore so much of his final 10 years of work.

great, GREAT score! I hope I'm not too late in recommending that you NEVER watch the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. That was a lesson I had to learn the hard way! God, the orchestrations are just stunning in this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    First Knight Goldsmith

My favourite Goldsmith period is in fact the 90s (same for Williams, by the way), so I'm totally with you.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    60's, especially the 70's and into the early 80's for my taste in Jerry Goldsmith. A lot of misfires from the mid 80's onwards until his untimely death IMO.

70's, 80's and 90's John Williams for me. Much less so this century though his quality has never lessened.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    great, GREAT score! I hope I'm not too late in recommending that you NEVER watch the film.

I actually broke up with a girl because she thought it was the best film she ever saw.

(Maybe the fact she was secretly seeing someone else on the side factored in as well, but you know: priorities.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I actually broke up with a girl because she thought it was the best film she ever saw.

Good decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Avengers Age of Ultron Danny Elfman

I love it. I can't be the only one?
  3. Steven wrote

No, I can definitely see this appealing to people, so good for you
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. I quite like it too but it took me a while to warm up to it.

When I first heard the new Avengers theme by Elfman I found it a bit frustrating, Silvestri's theme for the first film is one of my absolute favourites and when it was quoted I just wanted it to play out in all it's triumphant glory! But now that I'm used to it I think its a brilliant, rousing theme which makes great use of those four notes from Silvestri's.

Brian Tyler's 'Vision' track is great too and his 'The last one' really resonates with me for some reason, I find it heartbreakingly beautiful and contemplative at the same time. His action material leaves me pretty cold here though.

Was also pleasantly surprised to get a credit on the film, despite only doing a small amount of work on it, thanks Marvel!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    60's, especially the 70's and into the early 80's for my taste in Jerry Goldsmith. A lot of misfires from the mid 80's onwards until his untimely death IMO.

70's, 80's and 90's John Williams for me. Much less so this century though his quality has never lessened.

Goldsmith had that killer period from the mid 70s to early 80s which was just dynamite. But really I like all the phases of his career, in different ways. The one I grew up with and really noticed him at the time was the 90s and I didn't understand all the negativity towards his music in that period, particularly from FSM (the magazine, not the messageboard, which of course didn't exist). Opinion seems to have been retrospectively adjusted upwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beneath the 12-Mile Reef - Herrmann

One of my favourites by him. Wonderful, clever music - the best "underwater" film music ever, I think.
  5. Steven wrote

I don't love it but it's plenty entertaining. Elfman's stuff outshines Tyler's by a good margin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Goldsmith had that killer period from the mid 70s to early 80s which was just dynamite. But really I like all the phases of his career, in different ways. The one I grew up with and really noticed him at the time was the 90s and I didn't understand all the negativity towards his music in that period, particularly from FSM (the magazine, not the messageboard, which of course didn't exist). Opinion seems to have been retrospectively adjusted upwards.

We're the same age, so I can relate to that. I discovered them (and film music in general) in the 90s, which were also my formative years. As such, I will not deny that this fact had a tremendous influence. But even now that I'm old and creaky, I find myself gravitating towards these scores for musical reasons as well -- even though there were obviously great things in the past.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015
    The Edge - Jerry Goldsmith

I find Jerry's 90s output hit and miss (especially the endless thrillers) but he nailed this one. The theme is gorgeous, the action music is inspired as hell and even the suspense material is interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

It's about time he wrote something decent. It's been at least a couple of months since his last great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

It's about time he wrote something decent. It's been at least a couple of months since his last great score.

Just came back from the film. It's very uneven, and the score is nothing more than OK in my book. It suffers from what almost every Giacchino score suffers from -- lots of movements up and down the scale, but very little in terms of properly constructed and defined themes. "Pretty orchestral music that goes nowhere". Meh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course you don't like it.
  6. It's not by John Williams. Why would he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's also not a steaming pile of dog shite, so there's that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Of course you don't like it.

I didn't dislike it outright, but it falls into the big pile of Giacchinos that are rather 'meh' to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're a big a pile of meh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Your face is a pile!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  7. Is this a digital only release? Amazon.de doesn't even list it. sad

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For cripes sake don't stop there boys...

popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tomorrowland - Giacchino

This is luxurious. Wonderful to have a score in this day and age with properly constructed and defined themes. Full of spirit. I liked Jupiter Ascending but the album was unmanageable; this one is just great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    For cripes sake don't stop there boys...

popcorn

I did try.
  8. Southall wrote
    Tomorrowland - Giacchino

This is luxurious. Wonderful to have a score in this day and age with properly constructed and defined themes. Full of spirit. I liked Jupiter Ascending but the album was unmanageable; this one is just great.

Yes, there is quite an entertaining 10-minute EP album to be heard.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Tomorrowland - Giacchino

This is luxurious. Wonderful to have a score in this day and age with properly constructed and defined themes. Full of spirit.

Indeed!