• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'd better check that one out!

Today I listened to...

DAD - James Horner

and

THE PROMISE - Klaus Badelt

I liked both of them much better than I remembered liking them. DAD is just really sweet and has some good themes. THE PROMISE is huge, and an incredibly strong album.
  2. Josh B wrote
    A crap ton of new releases to listen to and I'm still on Ori. Maybe tomorrow, I'll listen to Assassin's Creed Syndicate? I like Wintory's work a lot.

Stick with Ori. AC Syndicate is a classical music fan's wet dream though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. christopher wrote

I liked both of them much better than I remembered liking them. DAD is just really sweet and has some good themes. THE PROMISE is huge, and an incredibly strong album.

What saddens me to this day is that gorgeous theme in track 1 that isn't used anywhere else (used for the end credits by the way).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote

What saddens me to this day is that gorgeous theme in track 1 that isn't used anywhere else (used for the end credits by the way).

I really have to listen to that one again shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Yes, plus about a hundred golden oldies !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    AC Syndicate is a classical music fan's wet dream though.

Careful. I'm a classical music fan and this is definitely not my idea of a wet dream.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015
    Me too. I found it tedious and boring. Deriviere's Assassin's Creed score remains unbeaten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015 edited
    Aye, I too thought Syndicate was a massive letdown musically.
    My favourite Assassin's Creed outing remains the one by Sarah Schachner though (Assassin's Creed: Unity).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    AC Syndicate is a classical music fan's wet dream though.

Careful. I'm a classical music fan and this is definitely not my idea of a wet dream.

From what I heard of Syndicate, and from what I know by hearing what my father loves (he only listens to classical music, and it's not Mozart or Ravell every day, but the more demanding type of music, the type I steer clear from), this sounds closer to that type of classical writing than the kind we hear at the Proms.

I'll have to let him sample it, and get his verdict.

That or I'm just talking crap here, which is possible... wink
  7. Steven wrote
    Me too. I found it tedious and boring. Deriviere's Assassin's Creed score remains unbeaten.

I have a soft spot for AC II by Jesper Kyd. I heard Deriviere's once, and it was enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Creed - Ludwig Goransson

It's an energizing score. The brass passages are great. It's amazing how it can sound both like Conti, with that 70s funk and modern at the same time. Very respectful of what came before, but not afraid to add new ideas to improve and fit in with the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Hunt - Steven Price

I'm very surprised by the music that Steven Price has written. It's not a mess of mashing synth patches, but actual notes and musical passages with harmonic chords and melodies..... Very enjoyable.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    I heard Deriviere's once, and it was enough.

shocked

Curious where that one fell short for you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He forgot to press play, I suspect.
  9. I hate it when that happens. Oddly enough it's always on scores where John Cage is on the temp track.
  10. lp wrote

It's an energizing score. The brass passages are great. It's amazing how it can sound both like Conti, with that 70s funk and modern at the same time. Very respectful of what came before, but not afraid to add new ideas to improve and fit in with the time.

How much is tainted by dialogue over the music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

How much is tainted by dialogue over the music?

It's not as distracting. The dialogue starts, ends, and then the music begins. I didn't expect it, but it's not terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    christopher wrote
    QUESTO E IL MIO PAESE - Paolo Vivaldi

Some pretty good TV scoring from Vivaldi. I like the opening track quite a bit. It features a piano over strings, and there's quite a bit of movement to it. It's nice. I also liked "Anna's Ballad," which has more piano (certainly the dominant instrument for this score), but the strings get a chance to shine a bit brighter. It's all somewhat rythmic and not terribly memorable, but I enjoyed it. The rest was pretty good, too, but those are my two favorite tracks from this score after one listen.

The first track must have been tempted with the main theme from The Piano (Nyman) or so, because really, that's all what I was thinking about. But it's indeed a nice score. I noticed you listening to it on Spotify, so I did then myself. A good to discover nice little scores (just like I discovered the previous Vivaldi score, La Freccia del Sud, which is really a favourite of mine this year).

Amusingly, Michael Nyman just posted a Youtube link to it on Facebook along with the comment "I like it now as I did when I wrote it for Holly Hunter in 1992! The art of disguise is not your strong suit, Signor Vivaldi!"
  11. NP: Star Wars - John Williams

The original, and the best.

As well as being great music, this album reminds me of the days when single albums would have my undivided attention for weeks. Playing and replaying the album, pouring over the brief - though fascinating - liner notes and just soaking up the whole musical experience. So different than today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015 edited

Oh boy, dialogue on a soundtrack album... said no one ever!

EDIT - I really like this!

EDIT 2 - Ok, fuck that. This is one of the BEST scores of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Josh B wrote
    A crap ton of new releases to listen to and I'm still on Ori. Maybe tomorrow, I'll listen to Assassin's Creed Syndicate? I like Wintory's work a lot.

Stick with Ori. AC Syndicate is a classical music fan's wet dream though.

Fortunately, I'm a classical music fan and liked it quite a bit.
  12. Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    christopher wrote
    QUESTO E IL MIO PAESE - Paolo Vivaldi

Some pretty good TV scoring from Vivaldi. I like the opening track quite a bit. It features a piano over strings, and there's quite a bit of movement to it. It's nice. I also liked "Anna's Ballad," which has more piano (certainly the dominant instrument for this score), but the strings get a chance to shine a bit brighter. It's all somewhat rythmic and not terribly memorable, but I enjoyed it. The rest was pretty good, too, but those are my two favorite tracks from this score after one listen.

The first track must have been tempted with the main theme from The Piano (Nyman) or so, because really, that's all what I was thinking about. But it's indeed a nice score. I noticed you listening to it on Spotify, so I did then myself. A good to discover nice little scores (just like I discovered the previous Vivaldi score, La Freccia del Sud, which is really a favourite of mine this year).

Amusingly, Michael Nyman just posted a Youtube link to it on Facebook along with the comment "I like it now as I did when I wrote it for Holly Hunter in 1992! The art of disguise is not your strong suit, Signor Vivaldi!"

I'm going to already nominate him for Best Quote of 2015.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015
    The Affair - M Zarvos

I've watched every episode of this excellent show and have never noticed a single note of music. Now I've listened to most of the CD I'm still not sure I noticed very much.
  13. NP: "The Story of Star Wars" - Roscoe Lee Browne, et al.

At the time (before video) this was the way to re-live Star Wars after having seen it at the cinema. A great mix of original excerpts from the film and snippets of John Williams' score.

I remember writing out all the dialogue and for a group of my friends "acting" out the film using the LP's "script."

Anyone else have this album at the time?

https://youtu.be/GEtZVVe6ENA
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: "The Story of Star Wars" - Roscoe Lee Browne, et al.

At the time (before video) this was the way to re-live Star Wars after having seen it at the cinema. A great mix of original excerpts from the film and snippets of John Williams' score.

I remember writing out all the dialogue and for a group of my friends "acting" out the film using the LP's "script."

I remember it very well though I never owned it ( two of my friends did )

I'm sure there were other "story" records of recently released films around that time?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

My friends and I collected the 24 page Read Along Adventure books.
    http://www.readalongadventures.com/

This one was my favourite.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyncriVAu8E

The voice acting was superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: "The Story of Star Wars" - Roscoe Lee Browne, et al.

Had at the time, and have still, together with the Malachi Throne-narrated version of The Empire Strikes Back and the Chuck Riley-narrated version of Return Of The Jedi.

It always annoyed me that the Jedi version only had the original soundtrack LP release to work with as background music, which limited its musical palet in comparison with the other two. My favourite version was Empire as it had the best audio edit and due to Throne's great, vivid narration.

A great way to relive the film in vibrant stereo, as the only source available to me at the time was a mono one-on-one direct audio copy I took from our old TV audio output. Aaaaah, the days of low tech. smile

Incidentally, contrary to what the YouTube description says, these were NOT fan-created, but very officially licensed issued!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015 edited
    NP: THE KNICK, SEASON 2 (Cliff Martinez)

Great stuff! This is just as good as the first season release. Never seen a single episode of the show, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IRON WILL (Joel McNeely)

And now for something completely different. Williams pastiche or not, this is a fine, fine score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Awesome and then some!