• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    I've just finished disc 1 of 'John Williams conducts Music from Star Wars', a 2015 release from Decca and the Boston Pops performing the major themes from the Original Trilogy, CE3K and E.T. Disc 2 has the maestro conducting some of his colleagues' music, such as Alien, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and the entire The Planets by Holst. I bought this mainly for disc 2, but disc 1 already blew me out of my seat. Not that I wasn't expecting that... cool

I love these recordings. I have them on Star Wars: Best of Space Music and Out of this World. But I believe it's Philips, not Decca? Have the recordings been remastered or it it a straight reissue?
    Edit: Philips back then, Decca now - Universal anyway.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I also have a Philips album with much of the same tracks, but they sound slightly different from the versions on this new Decca release.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015
    I still prefer the Kojian/Utah Symphony Star Wars album.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/re-record … s-trilogy/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Yes, but there are fantastic non Star Wars recordings on those Philips/Decca CDs. As for SW, the Varese album Erik indicated is more comprehensive. And it sounds outstanding.
  4. Basic Instinct Goldsmith

Seductive and intoxicating, a brilliant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Agony and the Ecstasy - Alex North

An astonishing work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Isn't it just?
    My very favourite North by a looooooong way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Alice in Wonderland (2010) - Daniel Robert Elfman

The film is presently airing on German TV. Never saw it and quickly lost interest in doing so. Instead I took to listen to the score which seems to be the best thing there is about this flick.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Alice in Wonderland (2010) - Daniel Robert Elfman

The film is presently airing on German TV. Never saw it and quickly lost interest in doing so. Instead I took to listen to the score which seems to be the best thing there is about this flick.

smile Volker

It definitely is. Although the film isn't QUITE as bad as people want it to be. I can enjoy even the most hokey narrative and characters for the Burton visuals alone! And the prologue is absolutely stunning -- Burton doing straight-up period drama.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLESH & BLOOD (Basil Poledouris)

Probably my favourite Verhoeven film (and I've seen them all). The score is a classic, of course -- both the energetic march and the more romantic material.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Arizona Dream (2003) - Goran Bregovic; Iggy Pop

I love this anarchic mixture of styles. Highly entertaining. Also one of the most profoundly moving films that I have ever seen.

Volker
  7. NP: Beyond Rangoon (1995) - Hans Zimmer

I just love those 90s electronica scores. So glad he somewhat returned to that style after Man of Steel.
  8. I don't hear a whiff of Beyond Rangoon in anything post-Man of Steel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under Fire - J Goldsmith

To those who say I shouldn't listen to this on my birthday, I say: I couldn't give a tinker's cuss. I am doing exactly that and it is glorious.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't hear a whiff of Beyond Rangoon in anything post-Man of Steel.

I meant to say that he is doing now more synth based scores again, genuine Synth, no sampling. Which IMO is Zimmer's strongest suit.
  10. Southall wrote
    Under Fire - J Goldsmith

To those who say I shouldn't listen to this on my birthday, I say: I couldn't give a tinker's cuss. I am doing exactly that and it is glorious.

Congrats, James! All the Best!

smile Volker
  11. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

This is bound to go down in history as one of those great science fiction scores. Fabulous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

This is bound to go down in history as one of those great science fiction scores. Fabulous.

Agreed. The film too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MUSIKK FRA FILM OG TV (Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud)

A 2CD compilation with the best film music of these two legends and 'godfathers' of Norwegian film music -- both of whom I've come to know personally over the years. Gorgeous music, both for orchestra and electronics. If you don't have it already, you must acquire it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

Indeed. Too bad the film wasn't better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote

Day One is already the go-to track to accompany any feature on television about space/astronauts/the universe in the Netherlands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giachhino

Doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves. This is brilliant, brilliant film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The film is terible. Terrible!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've avoided seeing it for the following two reasons: it's a Mike Wachowski film, and it has Meg Griffin in it.
  12. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Day One is already the go-to track to accompany any feature on television about space/astronauts/the universe in the Netherlands.

Also in Germany.
  13. Steven wrote
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giachhino

Doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves. This is brilliant, brilliant film music.

Yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2015
    Pan John Powell

My second favourite Peter Pan score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Peter Pan scores, huh... I was going to do a radio show on the subject last year but never got around to doing it.

My order would be.... not including the Tinker Bell spin off movies or films like Finding Neverland.

1) Hook (Williams)
    2) Return to Neverland (McNeely)
    3) Peter Pan: Stage Play (Wallfisch)
    4) Peter Pan (Howard)
    5) Pan (Powell)
    6) Peter Pan (Wallace)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You certainly put one of my choices in the right position.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

One could have a perfectly agreeable Tuesday evening just on 2015 scores alone.