• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Le Voyage En Ballon Jean Prodromidès

One of Demetris' favourites I believe.

Clearly a man, much like yourself, of rare refined and uncontested good taste.

biggrin

And yes, it IS an excellent score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Dances With Wolves (1990) - John Barry
    The expanded La-La-Land edition.

Yes, I know I resolved to give this a pass but as always my mouse clicking finger developed a will of its own. Same with Braveheart. These releases are gorgeous.

Volker

I ADORE the main theme (my favourite Barry composition EVER!). The rest....meh!

There it is. A reminder of who the true King of Weirdtardedland is!

-Erik-

It does make me wonder if Thor has listened to the score ( The original un-expanded release of course wink ), the score is chock full of fully developed themes and melodies and that is where John Barry's genius lies. Uniquely original, rare is the film composers who have such a strong voice, many of them would chop their grandmothers neck off to write just one of them as good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015 edited
    NP: Dances With Wolves - John Barry

La La Land's newly expanded edition reenforces my love for this brilliant score. Those massive french horns in "Journey To Fort Sedgewick" always brings me to tears and sends shivers up and down my body. And Two Socks' theme. Oh man. Quite possible one of the sweetest, perfect themes I've ever heard.

This is still one of the top 10 scores ever composed for film. FACT! Stunning music! Goddamn, I love this score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    It does make me wonder if Thor has listened to the score ( The original un-expanded release of course wink ), the score is chock full of fully developed themes and melodies and that is where John Barry's genius lies. Uniquely original, rare is the film composers who have such a strong voice, many of them would chop their grandmothers neck off to write just one of them as good.

Oh, I have listened to the whole thing. Several times. The thematic permutations are fine, but the action and suspense music music is -- as always with Barry -- totally offputting and irritating to me. Thankfully, these tracks are in the minority. For me, this is really only about the main theme(s).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

IMO, one of the greatest scores ever composed! The new ID4 film won't be the same without David Arnold's contribution.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

IMO, one of the greatest scores ever composed! The new ID4 film won't be the same without David Arnold's contribution.

-Erik-

No, it won't. Arnold's pissing about with rappers and cider, and he could have been scoring a sequel to, as you say, one of the greatest scores ever fucking composed. Fucking batshit pants on head retarded.

angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now that you mention it, it HAS been 4 years since Arnold scored a (somewhat) high profile feature film, i.e. PAUL.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It has been almost 15 years he has written anything that made me want to buy the score. The last one I loved was The Musketeer. And his holy trilogy of Stargate, ID4 and Godzilla will never ever cease to amaze in terms of thematic excellence and orchestral power.

But yes, it sucks that he wasn't even asked to score the sequel to his most amazing masterpiece. And what's more Devlin is back on the team and he once stated what a wonderful talent Arnold was and how he hoped we all would be hearing a lot more from him in the future. Guess he forgot his all his words of praise, because look where Arnold is now...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. The only profile "Paul" had is when people explained: "Goddamn, what is this shit David Arnold is scoring?"

And then they saw the trailer and balfed all over the place.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015
    Paul was fantastic!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I found it entertaining but forgettable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A new ID4 film? Shit!! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I didn't expect much from the ID4 sequel to begin with but knowing we'll be getting more of Kloser's wallpaper music is a total bummer.

Listening to the "Evacuation" cue from the first score to cheer me up. My favorite scene from the movie, almost entirely driven by this terrific music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

A new ID4 film? Shit!! rolleyes

Maybe we'll get lucky.
    Maybe it won't have Will Smith in it.
    Or that damn dog.
    Or that idiot president.

I still think the best version of ID4 is the Independence Day UK radio drama in which Patrick Moore (yes, Patrick Moore) saves the Earth.

Some parts are floating about on YouTube I gather (a radio drama? On YouTube? confused ), but it's a bit of a mess.
    So if anyone'd like a copy, PM me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015 edited
    I love the original INDEPENDENCE DAY (both film and score) for several reasons, and the trailer for the new one looks pretty good, from what I can tell (although the music sucks). And since Jeff Goldblum happens to be one of my top 5 favourite actors of all time, there's bound to be enjoyment here even if Arnold isn't attached.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Who remembers the TV special that aired before its release? It was filmed and presented like there was a real invasion happening. I believe it's a special feature on the blu-ray / dvd.

ID4 the movie will always have a special place in my heart. After Aliens and T2 it's the third best blockbuster of all time. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    suicide
  4. Wait, maybe fourth, Titanic's in there too. cheesy
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    ID4 the movie will always have a special place in my heart. After Aliens and T2 it's the third best blockbuster of all time. cool

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hell out of ID4 but it ranks nowhere near as high as that. You're forgetting Indiana Jones, for starters...
  6. Nah, Aliens before archeologists, even when backed with Williams' music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Off the top of my head I just worked out that ID4 is 178,978th on my list of all time greatest blockbusters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That high, huh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015 edited
    Can't be helped, I've only seen 178,978 blockbusters.

It'll be 178,979th after I see The Force Awakens.
  7. Assuming an average length of two hours per blockbuster (and that you've never watched anything twice (and that you've never watched any non-blockbuster films)), you've watched almost 41 years' worth of movies - impressive! applause
  8. NP: Dances With Wolves (1990) - John Barry

This is of otherworldly beauty. Music to bath and get lost in.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Dances With Wolves (1990) - John Barry

This is of otherworldly beauty. Music to bath and get lost in.

smile Volker

Still waiting. slant
  9. THE TOWERING INFERNO AND OTHER DISASTER CLASSICS

Yeah baby ! It has Independence Day and Titanic.

2 out of my 4 favorite blockbusters are represented ! punk

Some great music on this disc, and great performances too by the RSNO, McNeely and Debney conducting.
  10. NP: Independence Day (1996) - David Arnold

He wrote his own personal STAR WARS with this one.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. To be continued next year by music as far removed from Star Wars as possible. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Independence Day (1996) - David Arnold

He wrote his own personal STAR WARS with this one.

smile Volker

I think it's safe to say he'll never top it. (Even if he was still scoring movies....which he isn't. Because he's an arsehole.)