• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    NP: BICENTENNIAL MAN (James Horner)

A relatively recent discovery (the full soundtrack, anyway, I was obviously familiar with the film), but it contains most of everything I loved about the man.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Legends of the Fall ~ James Horner

Just tears...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. NP: The Complete Hobbit & LotR Film Music Collection (2015) - Howard Shore et al.
    The COP Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus conducted by Nick Raine.

The Hobbit CD.

The title of this album is nonsense of course. This compilation is as subjective and incomplete as all these products are. Still, the CD is well compiled and makes for a fine listening experience. Fine performance too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Stavroula wrote
    Legends of the Fall ~ James Horner

Just tears...

Same here. Beautiful music made more poignant today. Still, it's a terrific celebration of a very talented individual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRAINSTORM (James Horner)

From the absolutely brutal and dissonant to the spinechillingly gorgeous, this stands firm as one of Horner's "early masterpieces".
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

A relatively recent discovery (the full soundtrack, anyway, I was obviously familiar with the film), but it contains most of everything I loved about the man.

Besides A Beautiful Mind, this score has probably my favorite rendition of the "genius" motif that Horner used in several scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: BRAINSTORM (James Horner)

From the absolutely brutal and dissonant to the spinechillingly gorgeous, this stands firm as one of Horner's "early masterpieces".

It is! After Star Trek II this was the score where I realised he wasn't a "one trick pony". I played the hell out of this on LP release and it still occasionally gets a spin on CD.

I can still remember first hearing Lillian's Heart attack with that unbearable build up that then lets go of you as it unleashes its awesome power of release. Mindblowing!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: APOLLO 13 - James Horner

Still can't believe this has happened. My girlfriend can't understand why I am sitting here completely pissing out tears. I mean this in the nicest possible way but his death has made me appreciate his music ten-fold. What a career.

sad
  3. Thor wrote

After Robin Williams passed away, this was the first one I played as a way to remember the good times he gave me.

The irony of that fact on this day... that's why I couldn't possibly listen to it now. sad

Earlier I was listening to Apollo 13, Brainstorm, a bunch of cues from his career and now The Pagemaster, I always felt this score was severely underrated, because it's everything that Horner stood for and that I love about his music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: TITANIC (1997) - James Horner

One for the ages.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good to see you here again Gilles, a shame it is on such a sad day for film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRAVEHEART (James Horner)

Oooh....this hits me hard. Hadn't listened to it in several years, while I used to play it to death back in the 90s. Everything comes back.

I still remember the moment during the Vienna concert in 2013. Beside me was a young girl, maybe 14-15, clinging to CD covers and cut-outs she obviously wanted to have signed. While that was touching enough in itself, when the BRAVEHEART suite came on, tears rolled down her cheek. At that moment, I was extremely touched -- not only by the music, but by the awareness of how deeply moving Horner's music is for people of all ages -- even those not into film music. Two rows in front of me, Horner himself shed some of his many tears that night.

Sigh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That night (and I was sitting next to you) I think Horner had an epiphany about how much his music meant to people. I really don't think he knew it before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    That night (and I was sitting next to you) I think Horner had an epiphany about how much his music meant to people. I really don't think he knew it before.

Agreed. I remember well. I think the song from THE LAND BEFORE TIME especially broke him up. I think that experience is why he opened up more in the last couple of years in terms of doing concerts. It's a shame he never got to develop that further. Not to mention the new blossoming as far as musical compositions are concerned -- both in and out of film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

Been a while since I listened to this. It's just as fresh as ever.
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: BRAVEHEART (James Horner)

Oooh....this hits me hard. Hadn't listened to it in several years, while I used to play it to death back in the 90s. Everything comes back.

I still remember the moment during the Vienna concert in 2013. Beside me was a young girl, maybe 14-15, clinging to CD covers and cut-outs she obviously wanted to have signed. While that was touching enough in itself, when the BRAVEHEART suite came on, tears rolled down her cheek. At that moment, I was extremely touched -- not only by the music, but by the awareness of how deeply moving Horner's music is for people of all ages -- even those not into film music. Two rows in front of me, Horner himself shed some of his many tears that night.

Sigh.

Nobody could write an emotional climax better than Horner. This and Apollo 13 are proof of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MASK OF ZORRO (James Horner)

Energetic! And lovely. Interesting to see him explore some of the same Hispanic style YEARS before, in the AMAZING STORIES episode "Alamo Joe".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROCKETEER (James Horner)

'Soar' is an overused term these days (due to Horner's passion for flying as well as the nature of his music), but it's an adjective that fits for a lot of this music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015 edited
    Vibes (Horner)

This is a recent discovery for me because I ignored it for many years (don't ask me why) and I like it, it's quirky, inventive, playful, atmospheric. It's not a sweeping romantic masterpiece, it's not excitement and action, it doesn't have big memorable themes, it's something different, it has a certain vibe, a style that is so his. Too bad such talent gets wasted in the blink of an eye. sad

Thank you for the music, maestro.

Timmer wrote
    Good to see you here again Gilles, a shame it is on such a sad day for film music.

wave what has it been, 3 years?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, love seeing you back here again, Gilles. I hope you stick around!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN (James Horner)

I don't know...there was something "vibrant" and "urgent" about Horner's music in this period. I generally prefer his later 90s stylings (and onwards), but there's no denying that. I probably don't need to point out that this is the original GNP release.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote

I don't know...there was something "vibrant" and "urgent" about Horner's music in this period. I generally prefer his later 90s stylings (and onwards), but there's no denying that. I probably don't need to point out that this is the original GNP release.

Yes, there was no need! wink

I do think that you are missing out on some aspects of Horner's score that wasn't really covered in the GNP release. When I heard the expanded version, I did think that it showed up the GNP release as being not quite representative of the score as a whole.

Obviously, the complete score will be a better representation of the score: it's the whole score. But I do recommend that you sample the expanded release if you haven't already. It is the better representation - and an excellent listening experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. The Four Feathers (Horner)

Yep, I often return to this one. The wailing vocals add something magical to it I think. But the one track that is a bona fide masterpiece is 'The Mahdi'. The way it's constructed and builds is a sign of Horner's genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I probably don't need to point out that this is the original GNP release.

Maybe, just for once, you should listen to your intuition...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nah, it's too much fun rubbin' it in!

I have sampled the expanded version, and predictably didn't care for it much. Some nice individual tracks, but completely bereft of flow.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. It's one of the most "narrative" scores I know. How can it be "bereft of flow"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's too whimsical and filmic in structure, like always with these things. I also think there are EXTREMELY few musical works in this world that can stand up to more than the duration of a single, full CD. Some Wagner, maybe STAR WARS, not much more. STAR TREK 2 is not one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I also think there are EXTREMELY few musical works in this world that can stand up to more than the duration of a single, full CD. Some Wagner, maybe STAR WARS, not much more. STAR TREK 2 is not one.

You forgot Lord of the Rings. Probably on purpose because it would be stating the obvious, so I forgive you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could be. I've never sampled the expanded versions, as I'm perfectly satisfied my regular 1-CD versions. But it certanily belongs to those that have the potential.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Well, film music being "filmic in structure" doesn't come as a surprise really, does it? But I guess it's just the old film-contra-concept album debate we always have. smile