• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015
    Danger motif kills that score for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think it features the best usage of that motif. Then again, the only time it ever bothered me was Troy, and even that can be excused given the time constraints.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think it features the best usage of that motif. Then again, the only time it ever bothered me was Troy, and even that can be excused given the time constraints.

Troy is definitely not a score you want to make a drinking game out of when it comes to the danger motif.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The best usage of the danger motif is in Star Trek II, Willow and Sneakers. It's totally out of place in Enemy at the Gates.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. What I like the most about Enemy is that it's essentially a love letter to all the greats of Russian classical music -- especially Shostakovich and Prokofiev. One of the last cues is basically a rendition of one of the main themes from Shostakovich's 11th Symphony.

By the way, I don't remember the danger motif being used in Sneakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015 edited
    SNEAKERS's main theme is the danger motif. It's on saxophone and in a major key (I think?).
  3. christopher wrote
    SNEAKERS's main theme is the danger motif. It's on saxophone and in a major key (I think?).

I just listened to it. It's a bit different-sounding from the other times I've heard it.
  4. It's definitely not used in the same way he typically uses it. I think it is the major key variant, but it he also does more with it in the SNEAKERS theme. I remember when I was first trying to figure our what this four-note danger motif was that everyone was talking about. When I finally figured it out, my first thought was, "Oh, it's the SNEAKERS theme."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Batman Arkham Knight David Buckley & Nick Arundel

Surprisingly good for what it is. Enjoying this one quite a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

First time giving this one a thorough listen. So far, love what I'm hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE NEW WORLD (James Horner)

What the fuck is up with the bird chirping? If I wanted that, I'd bought a "moods" CD instead. Otherwise, fine score.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015
    Jurassic World Michael Giacchino

It's official. This has become one of my favourites of the year. I love how Giacchino's theme is a riff on Williams' main theme, plus the various references to the first two Jurassic scores and (I believe?) Giacchino's own game score. Great stuff. Don Davis's score is much better at aping Williams' style and tone he set for the world, but Giacchino's score is a wonderful thing in its own right. I'd place them about equal with that in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    San Andreas Andrew Lockington

I suppose this technically counts as a guilty pleasure, but this is also one of my favourites from 2015. I'm a little biased as it's my own 46 minute edit (which basically means I might as well have composed the score myself).
  5. THE PAGEMASTER - James Horner

First listen. That "Main Title" is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ride of the Firemares Krull James Horner

In celebration.
  6. Steven wrote
    Ride of the Firemares Krull James Horner

In celebration.

Now Playing "Falkirk" from Braveheart.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'd forgotten all about the Facebook event, but I'm playing pretty much Horner all day anyway. Right now, it's THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. ENEMY AT THE GATES - Horner

I had never heard a bit of this before today. "Betrayal" is such an impressive composition. It builds so well to that stunning climax at the end of the track. Superb.
  8. NP: DUNE (1984) - Toto
    The PEG album of 1997.

At long last I was able to lay my hands on this album for a reasonable prize . One of my all time favourite scores. While the original 1984 Polydor album might well remain my preferred listening experience, I am glad to finally have this item in my collection.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolf Totem - James Horner

Swoon... sigh...
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
    Sneakers - James Horner

Haven't listened to this wonderful piece of scoring nearly enough over the years. The two main themes are superb but most memorable of all, of course, are the crashing piano runs where its used almost like a percussion instrument. Spine-tingling.
  9. David OC wrote
    Sneakers - James Horner

Haven't listened to this wonderful piece of scoring nearly enough over the years. The two main themes are superb but most memorable of all, of course, are the crashing piano runs where its used almost like a percussion instrument. Spine-tingling.

I love those two themes. So full of life and wonder in what is basically a heist film. I especially love the saxophone.
  10. christopher wrote
    ENEMY AT THE GATES - Horner

I had never heard a bit of this before today. "Betrayal" is such an impressive composition. It builds so well to that stunning climax at the end of the track. Superb.

Besides the first track, which is basically an overture, the final two tracks are impressive.
  11. Steven wrote I'm a little biased as it's my own 46 minute edit (which basically means I might as well have composed the score myself).

I hope you're properly licensed to sequence a film score album. Otherwise the Norwegian secret police may cause you to...disappear. freezing
  12. THE FORGOTTEN - Horner

This is dreary stuff. I've been catching up on Horner scores I've never heard. I realized that I pretty much hadn't heard anything he composed in 2003-2004 other than THE MISSING (which I enjoy very much). So in the last couple days I've listened to TROY, BOBBY JONES, BEYOND BORDERS, THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG and now this one. The only one I'm missing, I think, is RADIO. Outside of a couple of highlights, most of these scores have left me with a feeling that Horner was a little uninspired during those couple years. Or maybe he was just trying something different. There's a lot more synth in this scores than I've ever noticed from a Horner score, and perhaps that's part of my problem. I prefer his fully orchestral, big romantic scores. These aren't really that, other than TROY, which after one listen seemed mostly just noisy to me. BOBBY JONES was nice, though it was pretty samey by the end (and very closely mirrored BRAVEHEART in melody and orchestration).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like Troy more than anyone else does, and I love Beyond Borders from that list, which feels particularly inspired to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of those, I really care for BEYOND BORDERS and THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG. TROY, not so much. Seems very "autopilot", which is understandable given the short time he had to compose.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Southall wrote
    I like Troy more than anyone else does, and I love Beyond Borders from that list, which feels particularly inspired to me.

I look forward to reading your new reviews of those scores.

Thor wrote
    Of those, I really care for BEYOND BORDERS and THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG. TROY, not so much. Seems very "autopilot", which is understandable given the short time he had to compose.

I'll give BEYOND BORDERS another try. THoSaF has a very nice theme (the one for the Caspian Sea). Both of those scores were super synthy, though. I had a hard time with the middle section of both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LAND BEFORE TIME (James Horner)

This is fantastic, but it's hampered -- as are so many Horner albums -- by weird sound quality where the lows are really low, and then the highs blast the speakers. A bit like those old RSNO/Varese recordings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ It's amazing when music is recorded properly.

-Erik-