• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015
    Atham wrote
    NP: Babe - Nigel Westlake

This is a fantastic new recording of the complete score celebrating the 20th anniversary of the film.
    In Australia the movie had a "live concert set to film" event in Melbourne and the score has had minor changes in orchestration and tempo. So it sounds fresh and new and dialogue free.
    A great companion piece to Westlake's wonderful Paper Planes score!

Where can we get this?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015
  1. For most of the day I've been hunting down some good quality versions of some scores from old silent films and I'd recommend these versions of silent films that have had their scores re-recorded (a bit like the recent version of Huppertz's Metropolis).

Die Nibelungen Teil 1: Siegfried - Gottfried Huppertz
    https://youtu.be/imsbPRhsbLo

Die Nibelungen Teil 2: Kriemhilds Rache - Gottfried Huppertz
    https://youtu.be/TbbTdd-By8s

Nosferatu - Hans Erdmann
    https://youtu.be/FUh6P2xjCd8

Reconstructed as best they can, there's some excellent music in all. And in such quantity (if the reconstructions are accurate).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    The only place I've found the CD is at this Australian website:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/ … re/730259/

That's where I got mine. Walked in yesterday and picked it up.
    So, you can order it from there or the ABC Shop here in Australia.
    However, I will be in England in 6 weeks if anyone would like a copy hand delivered.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote

However, I will be in England in 6 weeks if anyone would like a copy hand delivered.

I'm all over that mate, will be heading to JB shortly!

Demolition Man - Elliott Goldenthal

The electronics don't bother me a bit in this. The action cues are all dynamic and the futuristic setting means that the fusion of sounds feels perfect. Favourite cue however is the brilliant 'Machine Waltz'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Demolition Man is a great score, the short running length is perfect!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Judge Dredd (1995) - Alan Silvestri
    The recent expanded release.

Alan Silvestri in top form. I love this score. Curious I wasn't that impressed when I listened t it on the original release. I don't think that has to do with the presentation. I just react differently to scores at different times.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AN AMERICAN TAIL - FIEVEL GOES WEST (James Horner)

It's a fine score indeed, but it pales in comparison to the first, which is basically a masterpiece. A bit too mickey-mousing and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Atham wrote
    Southall wrote

Well well, this is a very nice surprise, because that Varèse release is plain awful really.

I'll be ordering this, thanks for mentioning it here. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

What an incredible year for Giacchino. Jupiter Ascending remains my favourite, now in my top three Giacchino scores. But this and Jurassic World aren't far behind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015
    NP: The Librarians - Joseph LoDuca

Fun, energetic score filled with themes, melodies and heart.
    Tut tut Mr. LoDuca. Get with the times! Too much eighties-style goodness to be found here.
    Seriously though, I've always enjoyed his Librarian scores and this entry for the new series really shines!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015

First time since his death. I adore this.
  4. Poltergeist - Goldsmith.

After watching the utterly woeful remake last week, the music from the original has been up front in my brain box. amazing, amazing stuff!
  5. Southall wrote

The original album or the expanded release?
  6. BRAVEHEART - James Horner

This is just so excellent. I suppose I should seek out the "More Music from Braveheart" album, but I never have. Are there really cues from the score any better than the ones already on this album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

The original album or the expanded release?

The original is all I own. This is one of the few scores where I'd really like an expanded version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote

It can be found on Spotify too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote

It can be found on Spotify too.

And on iTunes (American store, at least).
  7. I tracked down all the songs from the movie MANHUNTER - so i'm going through a playlist of those. Some good, some cheesy, but entertaining nonetheless.
  8. NP: Field of Dreams (1989) - James Horner

This is the third album that I bought inspired by discussions that arose after the composer's tragic passing. As a rule I am not into sport movies, Chariots of Fire being the big exception. So I never saw Field of Dreams and I can't comment on this score in context.
    This album is a convenience store of styles, featuring ambient electronica, piano solo, guitar solo, pop and big band swing. And a full blown orchestral finish. It's all very nice. Sweet melodies. As a listening experience though it's too inconsistent for my taste. Knowing the film probably would help.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not too fond of sports movies either (they're generally bad, or I don't have any connection to the sport in question -- like all the American baseball or American football movies), but this is more about the relationship between a son and his father, plus a sort-of time travel/fantasy element, so it's something else altogether.

Gorgeous score. I disliked it in my youth (and traded it off), but have come to love it as I've grown old and weary.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015 edited
    NP: SUMMER RENTAL (Alan Silvestri)

I ADORE Silvestri in 80's Synclavier modus, and that is -- in fact -- going to be one of my first questions to the man if I ever get to do my interview in Ghent in October. Whether he likes it or not! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Field of Dreams (1989) - James Horner

This is the third album that I bought inspired by discussions that arose after the composer's tragic passing. As a rule I am not into sport movies, Chariots of Fire being the big exception. So I never saw Field of Dreams and I can't comment on this score in context.
    This album is a convenience store of styles, featuring ambient electronica, piano solo, guitar solo, pop and big band swing. And a full blown orchestral finish. It's all very nice. Sweet melodies. As a listening experience though it's too inconsistent for my taste. Knowing the film probably would help.

Volker

It's not a sports film at all. In fact, it had two people who either don't know baseball (James Horner) or hate it altogether (James Earl Jones) working on it.

Horner was hilarious in the interview, when discussing baseball, he mentioned the "50 yard line" biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    None of us know why that's funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha...true.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    Field of Dreams is NOT a sports film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: SUMMER RENTAL (Alan Silvestri)

I ADORE Silvestri in 80's Synclavier modus, and that is -- in fact -- going to be one of my first questions to the man if I ever get to do my interview in Ghent in October. Whether he likes it or not! smile

I hope he walks the fuck out on you! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote

What? 50 yard line!?

50 YARD LINE!

uhm

FIFTY YARD LINE!!!!!!!

I see whatcha mean? It's difficult finding something funnier
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Monuments Men - Alexandre Desplat

Man, this is a marvelous score. They just don't write them much like this these days.
  10. Steven wrote

I think it's hilarious!

Captain Future wrote
    NP: Field of Dreams (1989) - James Horner

Volker

I just saw an interview the other day in which Horner and the director of that film talked about him composing the first 2/3 of that score "on the spot." I guess "composing" it right there with the orchestra? Whatever that means, I think the score suffers for it. That last cue is one of Horner's greatest compositions ever, though.

On a semi-related note, I've heard that a good deal of his THE 33 score was also composed during the recording session.

NP - BLACK GOLD - Horner