• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Lone Ranger Zimmer

Forgot how fun this is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015
    Ant-Man Christophe Beck

My heart sank when I saw who's name was attached to this film. Hearing the result has quelled any initial disappointment. And what a theme! I get the sense this is a heist film? It's very similiar to his score to Tower Heist in many respects, another entertaining score (the only other Beck score that's got under my skin).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ant-Man Christophe Beck

My heart sank when I saw who's name was attached to this film. Hearing the result has quelled any initial disappointment. And what a theme! I get the sense this is a heist film? It's very similiar to his score to Tower Heist in many respects, another entertaining score (the only other Beck score that's got under my skin).

Reading the premise a heist score sounds appropriate. The film has had very good reviews too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Ant-Man - Christophe Beck

The fun side of Christophe Beck from Tower Heist is in full force here. LOVE IT!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Ant-Man - Christophe Beck

Lots of fun, easily one of the best Marvel scores.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ant-Man Christophe Beck

Have you heard Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief?

P.S. In Ant-Man, did anyone else notice Silvestri's Avengers theme appear at 1:09 into "First Mission". I presume it's intentional and not just coincidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015
    Anthony wrote
    Have you heard Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief?

Yes, though I remember it being quite forgettable (so to speak).

P.S. In Ant-Man, did anyone else notice Silvestri's Avengers theme appear at 1:09 into "First Mission". I presume it's intentional and not just coincidence.

Definitely intentional. It's certainly one of the better Marvel scores. Let's hope Beltrami makes it a hat-trick with Fantastic Four! (I'm counting Elfman's Avengers 2 score here. I think it's brilliant.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015 edited
    Just turned off: The Woman Astronaut - Penka Kouneva
    Concept album released by Varese Sarabande

There is SOME nice writing in this concept album but there's far too much Steven Price, Steve Jablonsky, Hans Zimmeresque NOISE and wailing women for me to truly appreciate this.

The "In Space" cue was the straw that broke the camel's back so I turned it off before finishing the album.

I wish Kouneva nothing but the best in her career pursuits but this just doesn't do much for me. I don't sense much personality in the music even though the album is a very personal project. slant

On to... ANT-MAN!!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015

First listen... great start! Brilliant main theme. I'm a big fan of Beck's Percy Jackson and Tower Heist scores so I hope this one holds up like those two scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I fell into a little extra cash in the last few weeks and decided to not wait until Christmas and got myself a ocuple things.

"DUEL"

The excellent experimental score by Billy Goldenberg. This has been a personaly holy grail of mine since I first saw the film many many years ago. I've pined for it for so long and now it's mine, thanks to Intrada.

The first time I played it I was driving at night, and early on into the score I'm leaving a grocery store parking lot. It's a four-way inside the lot with the in & out lanes being continuous with no stop sign, and the left and right lanes having stop signs. I'm coming up to the four-way, plain as day since there were no cars parked there. The car at the stop sign at my left was there. Just waiting there. Then as I'm about on it, this fucking double dumbass pulls out infront of me, causing me to have to slam the brakes and veer away, almost hitting a parking devider, with things in the passenger seat flying to the floor. I cursed out loud, "You goddman fucking bitch!". She had her window open, as well was mine; I hope she heard me. And of course the reason became apparent: she has a cellphone surgically attached to the side of her face.

When that happens and you're playing score from "Duel", you kind of get ideas.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen... great start! Brilliant main theme. I'm a big fan of Beck's Percy Jackson and Tower Heist scores so I hope this one holds up like those two scores!

-Erik-

Let us know what you think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My listen was interrupted this morning so I'm getting back into it. So far it's superb! Love Silvestri's The Avengers Theme cameo in "First Mission." And the recording... Casey Stone is brilliant.

I hope this score means more high profiled work for Beck.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm really enjoying Ant-Man also.
    Great action scoring with fun heisty music.

Oh, and Justin, stay away from trucks!
    But yeah, I really like Duel also. Classic 70s grittiness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015 edited
    Ok... Ant-Man is easily one of the best scores of the year. It's one of the best Marvel film scores and probably one of the greatest comic book film scores of all time. Fan-FUCKING-tastic!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yep. Ant-Man's a winner!
    Modern scoring meets old school in the most pleasing way!
    Better with each listen. And I thought the first time was good!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote

Definitely intentional.

And having seen the film now, it's pretty obvious that[spoiler] Jackman's Falcon "theme" is in that cue as well.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Unlawful Entry - J Horner

Not one of his finest hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - J Horner

This, on the other hand, is. So powerful in the film and stunning on the album. That main theme (also in Swing Kids) is presumably copied from somewhere, but I don't know where. Mozart?
  3. Definitely it's very classical in sound. And I mean the period, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a shame it's (all?) samples, but they're high quality.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015
    The Four Feathers - James Horner

I had written this score off a while ago but I'm finding it very powerful now. It might be a tad too long but it's easy to feel after Horner's death that more of the composer actually equals more. Call me sentimental.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Four Feathers - James Horner

Still. That final cue is up there with Horner's best.
  4. NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014) Alberto Iglesias; Frederico Jusid; Harry Gregson-Williams

My view of this score has developed from "meh" to "like" to "love". I need to see the film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014)
    I need to see the film.

Really, no you don't. I was mildly entertained but under any scrutiny this is a poor film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014)
    I need to see the film.

Really, no you don't. I was mildly entertained but under any scrutiny this is a poor film.

Oh. OK. Sounds like this is a film to see when it arrives on TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I greatly enjoyed it. Solid, entertaining, and of course visually stunning. Joel Edgerton's performance is the highlight of the film for me.
  6. It felt strangely dead when I watched it. Like no one involved really had any vested interest in telling the story. (There was no point being made.) But I was sorting exam papers alphabetically at the time, and maybe that's what I needed the film to be. (You don't want a film to be too interesting when you're doing that.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - J Horner

This, on the other hand, is. So powerful in the film and stunning on the album. That main theme (also in Swing Kids) is presumably copied from somewhere, but I don't know where. Mozart?

That penultimate cue... shocked shocked
  8. Balto and The Land Before Time - James Horner

It's so reassuring to know that Horner scored animation with the same professionalism and class that he did live action. The above two scores are stunning examples of this
  9. NP: The Best of Bud Spencer and Terence Hill (1994) - Guido & Maurizio De Angelis (performing as Oliver Onions)

"You can see the mountain, here comes Bulldozer ..."

Sigh, childhood memories!

smile Volker