• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    I does foreshadow those Trent Reznor kind of scores.

To me, Reznor is FAR more listenable. I get why people of a certain inkling want to pick on him, but to me he's one of the greatest voices of film music currently operating.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    By gad, sir, you are a character, that you are. There's never any telling what you'll say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonishing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I think Fiedel and Reznor compare insofar as both merge music and sound design. To a certain extend this also goes for Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes and certainly for Forbidden Planet. I didn't mean to "pick on" anyone. Everybody shall listen to what he likes. I'm now listening to

Gone With the Wind (1939) Max Steiner

As re-recorded by Charles Gerhardt.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I didn't mean to "pick on" anyone.

Why on EARTH not?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Five Worlds of Plarium - Jesper Kyd

I could say a lot about this.
  2. Would they be good or bad things?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Toy Story - R Newman

I could also say a lot about this. In this case, all good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I does foreshadow those Trent Reznor kind of scores.

To me, Reznor is FAR more listenable. I get why people of a certain inkling want to pick on him, but to me he's one of the greatest voices of film music currently operating.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015 edited
    Glad you got a good laugh. You're free to join the rest of the Reznor Hater's Club. All the more pleasure for me!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015
    I actually liked Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's the only Fincher score that he and Ross has written that actually worked and made some sort of impact in the film. But Reznor being one of film music's greatest voices....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    *shrug*
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Glad you got a good laugh. You're free to join the rest of the Reznor Hater's Club. All the more pleasure for me!

There's a word for enjoying something more the less people like it. i don't know what it is, but I'm sure there's a word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We should totally check that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

There's a word for enjoying something more the less people like it. i don't know what it is, but I'm sure there's a word.

Well, taste is taste. As it happens, I like a lot of stuff that the majority of film music forums I frequent does not. Can't escape that. But I also can't deny that it gives me an extra sense of 'exclusivity'; like finding the key to a hidden room that is all for you. Film music fans have it like that in general, of course ("the others don't know what they're missing!"), but even within that niche, it's possible to find further exclusivity.

Vice versa, I also love it when I like something that most non-film music fans do, but that isn't necessarily appreciated in film music circles (Reznor being a good example). Makes you "hipper", which as we all know is the most important thing in the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I don't believe you. wink

Personally, I'm happy for you that you can find enjoyment in something others can't (just like I can find something to enjoy in some movies others deem pure shit), were it not for the fact that you don't enjoy a lot of stuff others do. Your taste seems to make you miss out on some great experiences, but since you don't care for them anyway, I guess it doesn't really hurt you.

I often found myself on the "wrong" (aka, "my") side of an argument around this place, and I think I've finally come to terms with that. Even when the usual suspects try to make me feel less "educated" or "enlightened" as they are, I just remember the fact that I've been enjoying filmmusic for over 40 years now, and collect it since 1981, and that I neither have to prove myself or my taste to any self-crowned experts, and here we are.

Enjoy whatever you like, and don't stop promoting whatever you like. You might help someone to find his or her own taste identity.
  3. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I believe it's "Thor".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Your taste seems to make you miss out on some great experiences, but since you don't care for them anyway, I guess it doesn't really hurt you.

Question is: Is "missing out on great experiences" a thing? I mean, I have friends who absolutely ADORE beach life -- just lying there and bathing in the sun, sometimes taking a dip in the sea. That's never been me. I can do that for a limited time, but then I get too restless and need to move around. Plus I don't like the notion of sand everywhere. They could say I'm missing out, but am I really when I don't like it?

On the other hand, if someone says "I'm missing out on a great experience" if they're gazing out on a mountainscape from the top of Kilimanjaro, then yes, I probably am because gazing out on mountainscapes is something I like to do.

Coming to terms with one's taste (and development of taste) is a great skill -- even if it's at odds with everyone else's. These are my self-evident wisdow words of the day. Long live Trent Reznor! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  4. You're right of course, and that's what I meant. You don't really miss it because you don't care for it, I just thought if you'd like it, you could have a lot more great easy-to-achieve experiences, resulting in more joy in life, in general, since you seem to dislike more scores than you enjoy (just seems that way, only you know for sure). It's easier to come by and listen to a great score than standing on a mountain top, if you get what I mean. That's what I meant with "missing out".

But in general, yes, it doesn't make a difference if you don't care.

Great example wiith the beach, though. I never understood the desire to spend weeks of work leave with just lying around at the beach and making your skin fight off those nasty cancer mutations...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    We should totally check that!

Ah yes. "Schadenhipster".
  5. NP: The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Randy Edelman

Obviously the Mummy series inspires every composer involved (according to his individual capabilities, of course) to grab deep into the adventurer's tool box and pull some light-hearted adventure scoring out of it that's still epic as hell when it's needed. Edelman's main theme is "schmissig", as we Krauts say, dashing and fun. The unavoidable "chinese" sound fabrics have to be there (as much as the classic sandal-Rozsaisms in parts 1 and 2), and work to full effect, the action is satisfying, and some beautiful family theme stuff makes this as enjoyable as we could expect from Edelman. I'm always reminded of Dragonheart when I listen to this, which is and will probably always remain my favourite from him.
  6. Bleugh. That main theme. It sounds so cheesy and jingly and trite. vomit

The score itself is not without its moments, but Edelman's general enthusiastic-amateur approach to pretty much everything he ever did, which can be charming under the right circumstances, comes across particularly poorly here. It doesn't help that he's following the rock-solid orchestral craft of Goldsmith and Silvestri (and Debney's own additional music for this one, for that matter - it's no surprise he was brought in).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Black Sails: Season 1 - Bear McCreary

Hurdy-gurdies and thunderous percussion make for a very robust and rough nautical piratey score. Really loving this!
    I do hope season 2 will see a CD release as well. Instant buy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bleugh. That main theme. It sounds so cheesy and jingly and trite. vomit

It is cheesy, but so are the heroic themes from the former scores (not in orchestration, surely). Totally fits the movies. And I think no one expects Edelman to pull off something like Goldsmith or Silvestri did. I think they all went for "bit cheeper this time", and that's what they've got. It's possible that the better tracks are all Debney's, but they would still make the score acceptable in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E Ron Burgundy

Another great score for 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm really stoked with Daniel Pemberton's The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
    So cool and catchy. I still would have liked to have heard the Goldsmith theme crop up by the end but ...oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote
    I still would have liked to have heard the Goldsmith theme crop up by the end but ...oh well.

THIS. Times a thousand.

I actually added the Jet Set Unlimited version Timmer linked to to round out the album.
  7. Homeward Bound Broughton

The themes in this are stunning and it's a nice, tight listen at 30mins. Anyone heard the new Intrada that's double the length? Keen to hear if anyone has any thoughts on what the new music adds or if it's worth just sticking to the original release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AUTOMATA (Zacharias Martinez de la Riva)

Beautiful score for a rather lackluster film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (and Debney's own additional music for this one, for that matter - it's no surprise he was brought in).

debney was brought in, because edelman couldn't come back to rework his music. the main theme is typical edelman and yes, also a bit cheesy but in comparison to the "main themes" from the other movies it sticks in your head. it is an adventure theme you can whistle, after you leave the cinema. the only problem with every edelman score, also with this one, is that he uses very cheap synths. the drums and percussions effects are so bad. although this score has some problems, it is the mummy score i listen the most. i love the asian sound and the themes are really good. the action could have been a bit better but it is far from worse. at least edelman let the action music breath, not like silvestri with his bombast overkill. that is just boring.