• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    Sorry, I might have confused you with Edmund Meinerts.

Or you've confused The Hobbit with Winter Soldier. You'd probably be right, then. Although I recall someone mentioning recently that he likes it, too.

Yeah, you and I are rare supporters of THE WINTER SOLDIER.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I believe there was someone else, but hey, welcome to the party. beer

Can't wait for Civil War...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The big Hobbit defenders around here are myself, the Captain and Matt/Scribe, if I recall correctly. Also worth pointing out that this is pretty much the only film music forum I know of where liking the Hobbit scores puts you in a minority.

As it should be!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I believe there was someone else, but hey, welcome to the party. beer

Can't wait for Civil War...

I'm a kind of supporter of Winter Soldier, but rather as a film score than the botched album presentation. I mean, there is a theme that is almost completely missing from the album (one or two iterations when the theme is all over the film's final act), for one...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now is the time for anyone to step up and say they love PAIN & GAIN too! Or am I still alone in that?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN (James Horner)

Excellent! Horner is good at folksy Americana too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    Sorry, I might have confused you with Edmund Meinerts.

Or you've confused The Hobbit with Winter Soldier. You'd probably be right, then. Although I recall someone mentioning recently that he likes it, too.

Back on the Hobbit business, although I'm not its biggest fan I do believe that it hasn't earned the shitstorm it's getting here. It's still a pretty decent, full-fledged orchestral score with lots of nice ideas and a perfectly great Best-of-all-album in there like the Captain suggested. I think the main problem is that the LOTR scores were introduced to us as shorter, arranged-for-release pieces of the whole cake which contained most of the worthy parts. They were already Best-of-albums and blew us away as such (although I remember a lot of discussions where even they were deemed forgettable over time - there is a general tendency here against Shore's Tolkien scoring, it seems). I think if you compare the Hobbit scores to the LOTR Complete Recordings, you will find the experience to be much more in line.

You're probably onto something. I couldn't get through the LOTR complete recordings, but I do think that was just a length issue (who has that long to sit and listen to music?) but I like the carefully-produced shorter albums (which of course are hardly short in absolute terms). I never understood the Hobbit album releases at all. If they were putting out the deluxe editions for the real devotees, I didn't understand the point of the slightly shorter ones.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN (James Horner)

Excellent! Horner is good at folksy Americana too.

Cats and dogs are living together! At least, temporarily. Thor and I agree.

The blatant lift from Peter Grimes (Benjamin Britten) even works. I gues that's the one positive thing I can say about his lifts -- he was always good at it; I can't think of a bad example.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LAND BEFORE TIME (James Horner)

I'm so glad I got this recently. Been meaning to pick it up for 25 years! THIS is what Horner is all about, baby!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's brilliant. I think it's virtually all classical lifts, but it's put together so well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Forrest Gump - Alan Silvestri

I haven't listened to this in years. Absolutely lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    It's brilliant. I think it's virtually all classical lifts, but it's put together so well.

Never cared about the classical lifts (and wouldn't know half of them anyway), so no worries!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: The Dead - Imran Ahmad

Having a random shuffle sometimes throws up an gem of an album that you haven't listened to in a while. And sometimes it doesn't. On this occasion, it's the latter.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015
    The Phantom Menace - Johnny Williams

Can it really be as many as 16 years ago that people of a certain age were getting all excited about a new Star Wars film, nostalgic for the past glories, excited about the possibilities of going back to a film world for a while we had assumed we had seen the last of? All the hype, the toys released early, the trailers watched and rewatched, the old John Williams scores played once again in anticipation of what he would come up with this time - could he really tap back into that old style again? Surely they won't mess this up - surely.

Somehow it seems like only yesterday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A great score that isn't as good as the first three but better than the two that followed. And the two that followed have some bloody great moments, such is the force that is John Williams.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: The Battle of the Somme - Laura Rossi

An accomplished score written in 2008 for the 1916 documentary. Played by the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Nic Raine.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    I never understood the Hobbit album releases at all. If they were putting out the deluxe editions for the real devotees, I didn't understand the point of the slightly shorter ones.

Indeed. I would have preferred the LOTR approach. Maybe they weren't sure they'd do the "Complete Recordings" for "The Hobbit" and wanted to make sure that most of the material is covered from the get-go. But the slightly shorter standard versions make no sense at all.
  6. 1-CD standard versions, 2-CD special versions. Simple! So simple it boggles the mind that it could be messed up. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Vell, zees zings vere noht supervaized by a Tcherman, no vonder zey are a mess.

Ahem...

...Doyle's A LITTLE PRINCESS is on right now, and it's unsurprisingly sublime.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    1-CD standard versions, 2-CD special versions. Simple! So simple it boggles the mind that it could be messed up. confused

Yes, the CD presentations are a mess.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM (James Horner)

Another one I got in my "Horner splurge" a couple of months ago, after he died. It's not fantastic, but it has some wonderful highlights. It's certainly better and more pronounced than what I remembered from watching the film all those years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

It's not fantastic

I agree, not fantastic, FUCKING fantastic is more like it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

It's not fantastic, but it has some wonderful highlights.

Yes. The whole fucking thing.
  8. Thor wrote
    It's not fantastic, but it has some wonderful highlights.

I agree with this except for the second word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015
    Twilight Zone: The Movie Jerry Goldsmith

Although the original album is a fine example of how to make a fine album, the expanded version is the one I go for since any extra music from this miraculous score is a blessing. Another night time score.
  9. NP: Ringu - Kenji Kawai

Excellent soundscapes and eerie textures balanced by some tender piano and strings.
  10. NP: Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara - Kenji Kawai

Dark Water is very similar in style to Ringu and very effective in the film.
  11. NP: Yojimbo - Masaru Satô

One of the catchiest opening title themes around:

https://youtu.be/JjsAKbJcMAc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015
    Great stuff! Not sure how well that sound goes down with "modern" audiences?