• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I kind of agree with Josh on The Walk. I gave it a listen since people were being so positive about it, but it's just more of the pleasantly bland and forgettable sort of lightweight drama stuff Silvestri did for Cosmos (plus some French/jazz bits at the beginning that don't gel with the rest of the score at all). Some nice cues towards the end but really nothing to get that excited about, surely?
  2. Erik Woods wrote

The only Guinness brewed in Canada is the extra stout and I won't touch that with a ten foot pole. I've had the authentic draught, which comes straight from headquarters in Ireland, either straight from the keg or from the nitro can. Also, my mother-in-law's husband is from the UK and has had Guinness at the brewery many times. He says that Guinness tastes just the same out of the tap here in Canada as it does in Ireland. But what the fuck does he know, right?

-Erik-

rolleyes Yes, indeed, right! You haven't ever tasted Guinness in Ireland so I guess we should just get back to film music then!

Chinatown Goldsmith

That Trumpet solo! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote

Steven wrote
    I think most people are full of shit when it comes to discussing the differences between very similar drinks, especially lager, but I do know there is (I think?) a lighter, more fizzy Guiness and a fuller, not-so-fizzy Guiness. Right?

And a very simple "fuck you" to you! I can easily tell the difference between shit beer and great beer.

biggrin

Bring it on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying differences between the same types of beers don't exist, and I'm sure there are many who can discern them far better than me, but it's one of things that tends to get taken too far like 'wine experts'. In the grand scheme of things, many beers, wines, etc., taste relatively more similar than we're led to believe. (Placebo also plays its part.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    In the grand scheme of things, many beers, wines, etc., taste relatively more similar than we're led to believe. (Placebo also plays its part.)

And that's not true at all, Steven. It all depends on ingredients, recipe, the brew master, storage, etc. I've had really good Russian Imperial stouts, for instance, and really bad Russian Imperial stouts. I've had great IPA's and down right disappointing IPA's that I pour down the drain.

There is sooooo much variety in the beer world, which makes it WAAAAAAAY more interesting and diverse then drinking wine. I mean, over the summer I discovered a Maple Porter, that I eventually had for breakfast with my pancakes, and a brilliant triple chocolate stout that was like drinking rich chocolate milk and maraschino cherries.

God, I love beer!

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Erik Woods wrote
    God, I love beer!

beer

I'll drink to that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    In the grand scheme of things, many beers, wines, etc., taste relatively more similar than we're led to believe. (Placebo also plays its part.)

And that's not true at all, Steven.

It is true, but perhaps not in every case. I remain very skeptical of the claims made when it comes to taste differences.

There is sooooo much variety in the beer world, which makes it WAAAAAAAY more interesting and diverse then drinking wine.

Well yes, beer comes in all sorts of varieties. I'm talking specifically about the differences between the same varieties.

God, I love beer!

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    An important ingredient of beer is the water! Our biggest brewer ABInbev decided to move the brewing of a popular beer Hoegaarden to Jupille (where Jupiler is brewn, a popular pilsner). However, they couldn't get the taste right due to the water of the source that Hoegaarden used. There was a shortage of the beer and after 2 years the brewing was moved back to the town where it originated.

Large beer companies like ABInbev and probably also Carlsberg and Guinness have multiple breweries over the world and try to make the beers taste the same all over the world by adding lesser natural products then a regular beer (at least here in Belgium) is made. Funny thing is that Stella is a very generic beer in Belgium, very popular through, but is marketed as a premium brand anywhere else.

Steven wrote

And that's indeed wrong. Erik has it right. However, also wine has a lot of variety, and it should not be wine vs beer. It's just that beer is a lot more richer and varied than people give it credit for. In Belgium, every region has its own type of beer, from the Saisons in the French part to the dark red sour beers of where I lived to the guezes around Brussels. They're so different, you wouldn't expect it. ANyone who has visited Belgium knows this. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote

And that's indeed wrong.

'Many', not 'all'. Beer of course comes in all sorts of colours and flavours, I'm not discounting that. But some of the differences people claim between ultimately very similar drinks tend to get blown out of proportion. (And placebo does play its part, whether you're convinced of otherwise. You need a blinded test to eliminate it, and most beer-drinking is not done for science.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Well yes, beer comes in all sorts of varieties. I'm talking specifically about the differences between the same varieties.

But even similar styles are brewed differently. A dry stout from brewery A might not be given the same love and care as brewery B does only a few miles away. They also might not have the same quality of ingredients or a seasoned brew master at the helm.

I've had dry stouts, for instance, that have zero to no flavour; watery, boring. But then I try another dry stout from a different brewery and it's completely different. Rich, creamy and full of flavour. Every beer (even similar style) is different.

-Erik-

PS - Dammit Bregt... stop rubbing your home country's envious beer culture in my face!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    God knows I don't mind going off topic, but a whole page on the subject of horse piss?

Yeah.
    Making friends.

Not drinking buddies though, probably.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn, the voice of sanity as usual. beer ... kill beer vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In my part of the world it is CIDER for which the West of England is famous for and also seems to have an infinite variety, many of which can really fuck you up because it's so tasty you often don't realise how strong the content is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    God knows I don't mind going off topic, but a whole page on the subject of horse piss?

I'm afraid to ask what colour horse piss is in your neck of the woods? Because if your horses are pissing out a variety of different colours then I'm worried for your horses.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Organic horse piss is the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There was an old Morecombe & Wise sketch ( not on YT as I just looked ) where they're playing two Wine experts being interviewed by a famous chat show host. Showing off their abilities to identify different vintages of wine to try Ernie W is the one pontificating, smelling, swirling, gargling the wine in his mouth before spitting out into a bucket and then giving a detailed view of his thoughts.

Every time it's Eric M's turn he downs his glass in one and gives no more a detailed account than 'I like that' and proceeds to get more and more pissed as the interview goes on.

See Eric Morecombe? That's ME that is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Yes, but are these horses at least hung?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Me too! beer

I like all alcohol. Especially when it's paid for by someone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've been nerding and obsessing over beer for the last 10 years or so too, so we should have a separate thread for it. Cider, however, I've always disliked vehemently (maybe that's why I've never latched on to Geuze beers).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me too! beer

I like all alcohol. Especially when it's paid for by someone else.

I'll definitely drink to that! drink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE CIRCUS DYNASTY (Jonas Colstrup)

Very little circus music in this; mostly lofty textures (which I love), but some rhythmic tracks too, for this 2015 Danish documentary.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. What? Since when are we discussing film music here? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Do Drunk Horses Listen to Film Music When They Piss? (I hear that's the titles to the Blade Runner book)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Does Hans Zimmer drink beer? If he does, what kind does he drink?

There, that should keep the beer talk going.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Hans Zimmer, er?

NP: The da Vinci Code (2006)

I'm generally no fan of Zimmer's symphonic endeavours. This score is an exception, as I enjoy it tremendously.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does Hans Zimmer drink beer? If he does, what kind does he drink?

There, that should keep the beer talk going.

This?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does Hans Zimmer get drunk?

Yes! VERY!!! Him and Nolan. How else could they spout such bullshit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

What?!?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Not much bullshit lately on Zimmer's part methinks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

What?!?

Too much Interstella Artois.