• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. David OC wrote
    Blood - Daniel Pemberton

Intriguing score. Only the last two cues really jump out at you with their melodic aspects. The rest you have to work much harder to define but I do like the fact that it's on this 3rd or 4th full listen that I'm finding more and more to like about it.

But I really REALLY like those last two tracks. The way that penultimate track slowly builds, cuts out completely and then hits you with the biggest moment in the score--awesome! And that last track is one of the most beautiful things I've heard in the last few years until it turns all moody again.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015
    Totally agree with you Christopher, really love this score a lot now. There's a great deal of depth to it, I think, and yes, the last two cues are a superbly crafted payoff. (I say this without having even seen the film!)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Goonies - Dave Grusin

A lot of fun, this one. There's probably 8 or 10 cues I'd cut to pare it back to a perfect shape, but it stands up well I think. Even the electronics are decent and don't really detract from the infectious vibe at all.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Secret River - Burkhard Dallwitz

What a gorgeous, haunting, intimate score for the recent local mini-series. Great to hear new music from this composer.
  2. Heart of a Dog (Laurie Anderson)

What a fucking dreadful experience. Apart from one single track, every cue has constant dialogue and sound effects. The music is just put on the background. Pffff an insult for the composer's work who probably was thrilled when it was released on CD. The music itself is quite sombre and hardly memorable, but still ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't understand why they would still release soundtracks this way. Sure, it (kinda) made sense in the days before home videos, but now? What could POSSIBLY be considered the added value, unless the dialogue is SO incredibly brilliant and beautiful it even stands alone as some sort of poetry reading.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    I can't understand why they would still release soundtracks this way. Sure, it (kinda) made sense in the days before home videos, but now? What could POSSIBLY be considered the added value, unless the dialogue is SO incredibly brilliant and beautiful it even stands alone as some sort of poetry reading.

it's like you're experience some kind of audio book, perhaps from that point of view it works. But as a CD what a joke!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Heart of a Dog (Laurie Anderson)

What a fucking dreadful experience. Apart from one single track, every cue has constant dialogue and sound effects. The music is just put on the background. Pffff an insult for the composer's work who probably was thrilled when it was released on CD. The music itself is quite sombre and hardly memorable, but still ...

Try to listen to the good oldies once in a while bro, like this one. wink

Lost in Space (Bruce Broughton)

The best thing Broughton has ever written IMO. The score album just oozes exciting and glorious adventure music from the second track to the very last! My only problem with the album is that I want more from Broughton in this mode, his most consistently fun score. Unless someone knows of another one in a similar style.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I was just listening to Broughton's Lost In Space yesterday. Fantastic score!
    My favorite along with Young Sherlock Holmes, which I have a very soft spot for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost In Space is one of my favourite scores, so you're both speaking my language there. (In no small part due to Don Davis's Matrix-esque orchestrations.)
  4. Yes- One of the great orchestral scifi romps.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015 edited
    In a sane movie universe Broughton would have got more sci-fi/fantasy gigs. The man always had chops and then some.

I guess the fact that the film is shit and was righteously panned probably nailed Bruce's more lucrative chances.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015
    NP: WYATT EARP - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

One of my favourite western scores from the 'modern' times. I was once one of Howard's biggest fans and, though my taste has taken me elsewhere since, I still consider this one of his best and one of my favourites from the 90s.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Cloak & Dagger - Brian May

Really good stuff. Released quite a while ago by Intrada but this is possibly the first time I've heard it in its entirety. Virtually all orchestral, which is a nice surprise considering the era ('84), and a heap of excellent, thoughtfully-constructed action cues. A four note theme/motif anchors the whole thing but May keeps finding creative ways to deploy it.
  5. Spectre (Thomas Newman)

Not really winning me over. It's decent, but I dislike the fact it pretty much duplicates the second part of the opening track of Skyfall somewhere in this score. Plus it can't keep me interested until the end. It does have very little memorable moments I'm afraid

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Austin Wintory)

Game score that irritated me immensely. I dislike the use of violins this way, especially if it goes on and on. The classical frantic writing without the use of themes or melodies (or I mist them) drove me insane. The several tracks with vocals are good but don't save this one I'm afraid. Sad really because I was expecting something of this.
  6. Atham wrote
    I was just listening to Broughton's Lost In Space yesterday. Fantastic score!
    My favorite along with Young Sherlock Holmes, which I have a very soft spot for.

To be honest, YSH is much too long. It has great themes, but the 90 minutes it takes to listen to the Intrada is about 45-50 minutes too long. I'll have to do some serious trimming to get to a YSH album I truly enjoy. I like it but I don't love it like LIS, which is right up there with Star Wars IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Spectre (Thomas Newman)

Not really winning me over.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Austin Wintory)

Game score that irritated me immensely.

slant

See my post above from yesterday.
  8. Timmer wrote
    In a sane movie universe Broughton would have got more sci-fi/fantasy gigs. The man always had chops and then some.

I guess the fact that the film is shit and was righteously panned probably nailed Bruce's more lucrative chances.

The film is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the score has a lot to do with that fact. And also because it has heart and doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike so many sci-fi films these days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was on TV a few weeks ago, somehow I made past halfway before I'd had enough. We all have our own "guilty" pleasure films though wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. The film would be fine if there wasn't that stupid conclusion.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Hole - Javier Navarrete

Excellent horror score for Joe Dante's last film. Like Goldsmith before him, Navarrete pulls out all the stops regardless of the material. There's a very attractive theme for small town domestic life. But there's plenty of complex, frenzied string writing for the scary action. Most of it is well above par to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jaws - John W

The previous "deluxe" edition. As brilliant as it is as a film score I don't have quite the same enthusiasm about it as an album, at least in this form. I'll buy the new one to get my hands on the remastered original album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Never been a big fan either. As effective it is in the film, outside it just doesn't do it like most others of that era do it for me. It may well be the least played JW score I have of all the timeless classics he has composed.

The McNeely recording was a bit better, but still not enough.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Byzantium - Javier Navarrete

I do love Neil Jordan's work however this was one of his weakest films ever despite amazing visuals. Navarrete's score is concerned with mood and texture rather than melody, although a slow piano theme does recur. 'Whore' is the highlight cue for me. Overall it passes by without leaving too much of an impression though it complements the tone of the film perfectly.
  10. NP: The Abyss (1989) - Alan Silvestri

Great ambiance, great melodies, one of the greatest finals ever.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John W
    I'll buy the new one to get my hands on the remastered original album.

I'll wait for your review.If the sound quality is notably improved, I'd be ecstatic to get my hands on it.
    Love this album!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John W
    I'll buy the new one to get my hands on the remastered original album.

I'll wait for your review.If the sound quality is notably improved, I'd be ecstatic to get my hands on it.
    Love this album!

The sound qualty IS notably improved. But even with that said I'll probably stick with the original MCA album and McNeely's underrated re-recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. I love the music in the film, on its own and in its special rearranged re recorded original album. I never liked the sound of the Decca release but the superb varese rerecording is a brilliant way to listen to the original film compositions. When I chatted to Doug Fake during my visit to the intrada offices last month he was rightfully extremely proud to be releasing this masterpiece in such a definitive way. I am VERY excited about hearing what they've been able to do with both recordings. Can't wait for it and their new 'Jaws 2' to arrive!
  12. I just finished watching the film on blu ray tonight, it looks absolutely stunning, like owning your own print! I must have watched the film hundreds of times as a child, it's a very, very special film to me.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015
    Ori and the Blind Forest - Gareth Coker

Gets better every time I listen to it. Also makes me want to replay the game (but I'm waiting for the definitive edition they're working on).