• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Jaws 2 - The Score (1978) - John Williams

CD 1 of the awesome sounding new Intrada set.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015 edited
    NP: THE WALK (Alan Silvestri)

A couple of good tracks, but this is really a rather disappointing affair. Can't believe I asked him about this in my interview over something like THE ABYSS, PREDATOR, FORREST GUMP, CAST AWAY, THE MUMMY RETURNS etc. crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015
    Today I'm enjoying nothing but Goldsmith excellence...

NP : UNDER FIRE - Jerry Goldsmith

superb! I also credit this score with leading me to the brilliant musicianship and composing chops of Pat Metheny.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pat Metheny? Whut? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Plays acoustic guitar on the score and is credited on the cover...no?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yes, he does and yes he is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Suffragette - A Desplat (The Desplat)

It's good, but not one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Creed - Ludwig Goransson

Man. Such a diverse soundtrack.
    Modern soundscape meets 70s sensibilities mixed with 80s/90s grand orchestral awesomeness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "The Forest Battle" from Return of the Jedi

Bliss. Perfect.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Plays acoustic guitar on the score and is credited on the cover...no?

And seriously brilliant! If you want recommendations ask away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2015 edited
    Never noticed. shame And I really like the guitar work on that score too. dizzy

Recoomendations? Yes, please!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EN MAI FAIS CE QU'IL TE PLAIT (Ennio Morricone)

I'm not quite sure what I think of this. It's lovely and all, but is it just a series of chords with no real melodic structure?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do love the first track.
    The rest, not so much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Never noticed. shame And I really like the guitar work on that score too. dizzy

Recoomendations? Yes, please!

He has a large catalogue of work, some of it experimental and exploratory but I'll by-pass those and recommend those albums that are chock full of great hummable melodies where you'll hear fabulous virtuosity without it veering into "jazz wank"

Still Life Talking Here's an example
    Secret Story ( some great orchestral passages in this one )
    We Live Here
    First Circle ( don't be put off by the first track that sounds like a bad brass band welcoming some despot dictator in some South American hellhole )
    Water Colors ( very acoustic album )
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: EN MAI FAIS CE QU'IL TE PLAIT (Ennio Morricone)

I'm not quite sure what I think of this. It's lovely and all, but is it just a series of chords with no real melodic structure?

It's a nice and lovely score indeed, but after all the praise it was getting I was expecting "MORE" of it shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. I concur with Thor, Thomas and Martijn about the new Morricone. I mean, of course James gives it five stars (James would give Morricone humming in the shower five stars, most likely along with some sort of crack about it having more melody than the entirety of Remote Control put together). And it's a nice score. But far from a masterpiece.

What Thor says about it just being a series of chords...well, I don't entirely agree, but Morricone definitely has a very "lackadaisical" melodic voice at times that makes it come across as such. Not that that's a bad thing - hell, I'd call the melody of "Gabriel's Oboe" lackadaisical and that's one of the greatest in film music history - but this is nowhere near that standard, and it rather goes in one ear and out the other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (James would give Morricone humming in the shower five stars, most likely along with some sort of crack about it having more melody than the entirety of Remote Control put together).

Well... that's rather unfair. For the record, it's the first Morricone five-star I've given since 2005 (during which time Zimmer has had two) and in the 101 Morricone reviews at my website I don't believe Remote Control is mentioned once.
  5. I was exaggerating for (likely failed) comedic effect. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You have to realise, Edmund, that James is really sensitive ever since he was lambasted by Hans Zimmer himself on facebook. It has done things to him. Unspeakable, horrible things.
    Best to let the matter rest.
    We don't tend to speak about it here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Look at me, James. It's not your fault.
  6. Martijn wrote
    You have to realise, Edmund, that James is really sensitive ever since he was lambasted by Hans Zimmer himself on facebook. It has done things to him. Unspeakable, horrible things.
    Best to let the matter rest.
    We don't tend to speak about it here.

Oh? popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    We Live Here
    First Circle ( don't be put off by the first track that sounds like a bad brass band welcoming some despot dictator in some South American hellhole )

Do any of those not sound like elevator music? That's the problem I've had with every non-Under Fire Metheny thing I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Do any of those not sound like elevator music? That's the problem I've had with every non-Under Fire Metheny thing I've heard.

Valid concern.
    Listening to the YouTube example Timmer put up, I found it's the type of lounge jazz that really doesn't gel with me as a standalone listen (awesomely chill background music to a loungey/cocktailish party, though!)

That said, I'm certainly going to try and find First Circle. The description Timmer gave of the first track sounds RIGHT up my alley!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Attack On Titan - Shiro Sagisu

Well, this certainly is...different.
    It's certainly virtuoso, and you can tell Sagisu has excellent compositorial skills.
    But the amalgam of wildly differentiating styles is disconcerting: starting out sounding like a thirrties epic film in the best Korngold/Steiner tradition, the tone switches to metal, to modernistic operatic furour (with lyrics that exclaim things like (if I make it out correctly): "eat you vegetables, wear a tie. Die! Die! Die! Die! Die! Die! ") to naturalist romanticist piano pieces.

It's not bad. Certainly not.
    But I'm not sure I enjoy it very much.
    It seems a bit too much work to properly listen to this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    We Live Here

"elevator" music? A nasty and dismissive term of which you could easily include the works of many film composers, Mancini, Barry, Williams, Goldsmith and more have all been there. Easy listening would be a better description though even then the musicianship elevates it beyond that.

Steven wrote
    That's the problem I've had with every non-Under Fire Metheny thing I've heard.

You've obviously dodged a few bullets then. If the first Metheny album I'd ever heard had been 'Song X', an exploratory album that's akin to the ear bleeding dissonance of Pierre Boulez or Stockhausen I'd never have listened to him again.

Metheny playing live with the Metropole Orchestra Third Wind
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Wars - John Williams

Not bad!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I've just finished disc 1 of 'John Williams conducts Music from Star Wars', a 2015 release from Decca and the Boston Pops performing the major themes from the Original Trilogy, CE3K and E.T. Disc 2 has the maestro conducting some of his colleagues' music, such as Alien, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and the entire The Planets by Holst. I bought this mainly for disc 2, but disc 1 already blew me out of my seat. Not that I wasn't expecting that... cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

One of my favourites of a truly great year. I can't wait to hear it in context, in a film a very likely to enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

One of my favourites of a truly great year. I can't wait to hear it in context, in a film a very likely to enjoy.

I'm with you on this, I love it. I also want to see the film.