• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS: THE FARCE AWAKENS - John Williams

Have I travelled back in time? I bought a new John Williams Star Wars score and a brand new Ennio Morricone western score today from an actual shop where I paid with actual cash. spin

This is how it went today for me, pretty much identically: I went to the store, took the TFA and H8FUL8 cd's to the counter, and paid for them. Only thing different is I actually went with the times and paid with my card, like you know, a virtual transfer of digital funds. Due to that one detail it didn't feel like I was in the past. wink

I went into the city and walked from store to store to get told multiple times they didn't order it for in the shop. Ah, just like back in the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    I went into the city and walked from store to store to get told multiple times they didn't order it for in the shop. Ah, just like back in the day.

applause

TRUTH!!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015 edited
    yeah biggrin ( ahhh the "good" old days )

NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

Finally, my copy arrives.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars The Force Awakens John Williams

My 8th favourite Star Wars score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I need to give it a few more listens yet, on first listening it's a bit disappointing. The last truly stand-out, instant original Star Wars cue to hit me was Duel of The Fates.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have no doubt it's excellent in the movie, but as an album -at the moment at least- it doesn't really move me. The only moment I'd regret never hearing again is (what I infer) Poe Dameron's heroic theme, which deserves a proper concert arrangement. Rey's theme is nice, which seems to double as BB-8's, and I suspect we'll get a much more heroic development of it over the next two films, but it's not exactly something I'd add to a drunken playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Born on the Fourth of July John Williams

My third favourite Star Wars score.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I need to give it a few more listens yet, on first listening it's a bit disappointing. The last truly stand-out, instant original Star Wars cue to hit me was Duel of The Fates.

What about Across the Stars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd put Battle of the Heroes in there too. I love that theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh yes. Both of those are great. Dual of The Fates still stands above them though.
  2. RoJ will forever be my favourite symphonic score. AOC is the only SW score that I feel is a bit under par. For the other scores I can't come up with any reasonable ranking. In my view TFA is absolutely excellent.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Come to think of it: This is the seventh SW score by the same composer. Of course is is basically more of the same. (As is the film.) I really like TFA but so far I have listened to it on album for two times. It's not like I have it on heavy rotation. I do feel a bit over saturated with SW at the moment. Anyone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's the only score I've been listening to since Wednesday! It's outstanding. Best score of 2015!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    RoJ will forever be my favourite symphonic score. AOC is the only SW score that I feel is a bit under par. For the other cores I can't come up with any reasonable ranking. In my view TFA is absolutely excellent.

smile Volker

A. WAPOITBF, DHMTSOOTFACTDIR. BINGTASP.
  4. The FYC promo of The Force Awakens apparently has music not featured on the album. Running to almost 70 minutes in length, it has tracks heard on the album, truncated and extended album tracks plus completely new music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And yet I can't even muster the enthusiasm to download it for free. 15 year old me is spinning in his grave.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's the only score I've been listening to since Wednesday! It's outstanding. Best score of 2015!

-Erik-

He, he...you've certainly come around.

It won't even feature in my list of 2015's best scores, and that feels kinda odd when one is as fanatic about Williams as I am, and that we've been waiting for another score by him for two years. But I do look forward to delving into the soundtrack over the next few months (and see the movie at least 2-3 times more).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    And yet I can't even muster the enthusiasm to download it for free. 15 year old me is spinning in his grave.

Listen to "The Resistance" cue. Bloody marvelous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey. You're not wrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: STAR WARS: The Force Awakens - John Williams

I've played this one many times over the past five days. Loved it from the first spin.
    I get that it's not The Empire Strikes Back. No major set piece cues sadly. But I accept that.
    It's still very good nonetheless.
    Rey's theme is the first piece of music from Williams that has really stuck in my head for many years. Love it!
    Poe Dameron's heroic pilot theme makes my heart soar! And "The Resistance" theme is "bloody marvelous" indeed. Do I kinda hear a tiny snippet from Empire's "The Ice Planet Hoth"cue in "Rathtars!" at the 3:15 mark?
    After seeing the film I just appreciate this score even more and thank the maker that maestro Williams is still here to bless us with more amazing work!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015
    I have listened to "Rey's Theme" and "March Of The Resistance" only at this point. I liked the first immediately, and the march has grown on me. Finally seeing the movie tomorrow and will listen to the rest of the soundtrack on Christmas day.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

If anything, The Force Awakens has been an important lesson for me in judging scores too quickly. It really does reveal more and more upon further listens.
  5. Josh B wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

If anything, The Force Awakens has been an important lesson for me in judging scores too quickly. It really does reveal more and more upon further listens.

great music always does that wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

great music always does that wink

Listening to it again. I've fallen deeply in love with it.
  7. NP: Atlantis (Stuart Hancock)

The opening track is amazing shocked , the rest a mix between good and so so
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The FYC promo of The Force Awakens apparently has music not featured on the album. Running to almost 70 minutes in length, it has tracks heard on the album, truncated and extended album tracks plus completely new music.

Has anyone come up with a track list for this other than track 1-23? - Oh, I see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's a playlist Jason LeBlanc put together at FSM

OST 06 Rey's Theme (3:11)
    OST 16 March of the Resistance (2:35)
    OST 17 Snoke (2:03)
    OST 21 Scherzo for X-Wings (2:32)

FYC 01 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 1 (5:27)
    FYC 02 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 2 (1:53)
    OST 02 The Scavenger (3:39)
    FYC 05 I Can Fly Anything (4:09)
    FYC 06 Finn’s Trek (1:35)
    FYC 07 Follow Me and The Falcon (7:09)
    OST 08 That Girl with the Staff (1:58)
    OST 09 The Rathtars! (4:05)
    FYC 09 Snoke (2:07)
    FYC 10 You Got A Name? (1:32)
    OST 10 Finn's Confession (2:08)
    OST 11 Maz's Counsel (3:07)
    FYC 12 The Starkiller (1:52)
    FYC 13 Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle (2:15)
    FYC 14 The Resistance (1:35)
    OST 14 The Abduction (2:25)
    OST 15 Han and Leia (4:41)
    FYC 17 The Bombing Run (2:07)
    FYC 18 On The Inside (2:54)
    FYC 19 Torn Apart (4:24)
    OST 20 The Ways of the Force (3:15)
    FYC 21 The Journey Home (2:18)
    FYC 22 Farewell and The Trip (3:49)
    FYC 23 The Jedi Steps and Finale (9:58)
    TOTAL TIME - 1:34:41

-Erik-
  9. Oh, that's nice. I think I will keep OST and FYC apart for now. I just went along with the track titles the site itself provides. smile

PS: The FYC album is a nice addition. It seems to me though, that all the essential stuff is on the OST. Since I have fallen in love with the album presentation I will not tinker with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I know this is going to be controversial, but I'd say this is Williams's best score in at least two years and the best Star Wars score in at least ten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's growing on me. Erik having pointed out the fantastic 'The Resistance' track from the promo seems to have pulled a much needed lever.