• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Alien (Goldsmith)
    Aliens (Horner)
    Alien 3 (Goldenthal)

3 most excellent horrific scores ! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien (Goldsmith)
    Aliens (Horner)
    Alien 3 (Goldenthal)

Three masterpieces -- in fact, each represent some of the very best work of each composer.

I struggled with Frizzel's ALIEN: RESSURECTION for years, but eventually came to embrace its many qualities (even if it doesn't compare to the first three). The best thing about Streitenfeld's PROMETHEUS was Gregson-Williams' "Life" theme, and the only memorable things from Tyler and Kloser's AvP scores are an action cue or two.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien (Goldsmith)
    Aliens (Horner)
    Alien 3 (Goldenthal)

Three masterpieces -- in fact, each represent some of the very best work of each composer.

The best thing about Streitenfeld's PROMETHEUS was Gregson-Williams' "Life" theme,...

Indeed.

and the only memorable things from Tyler and Kloser's AvP scores are an action cue or two.

Tyler: Noise, just noise. I have no intention to ever listen to that junk again.

Volker

of ever listening / to ever listen ... ? shame
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Tyler: Noise, just noise. I have no intention to ever listening to that junk again.

Volker

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Tyler, who's that? Oh right... he's the dude I own ZERO scores of... cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015 edited
    I kinda like the raw energy of "Decimation Proclamation" and "Requiem" from Tyler's AvP 2 (which seem to mash up Horner and Goldenthal, in particular), but yeah -- it's overall very noisy and not really my cuppa tea. Kloser's score for the first AvP is better.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    The Force Awakens. Probably the last time for a while.

I think this is all I've listened to since Thursday when I saw the film. If I listened to anything else in that time, it would have been Rogue Nation - the score I've probably played more than any other this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited
    NP: Extreme Prejudice - Jerry Goldsmith

A score that reeks of the 80's. It's a weird but highly entertaining modern day western score that's a strange but satisfying mix of 80's Goldsmith synths, which works really well in this score, and symphony orchestra. There is some truly beautiful writing here for solo trumpet and woodwinds. And I think I prefer that 80's synth back beat in this score rather then when it was first introduced in Hoosiers. At least, I think that was the first time we heard that bizarre synth drum beat. It's also great that we get to hear the re-worked "The Plan" cue along with the exciting original that was replaced at the last minute. This is a really solid score. I'm glad I revisited it today!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nothing can beat Hoosiers for me, but that final end credits track is quite something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's the only bit of the score I ever listen to (it's dynamite). Must give the whole thing an airing soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Extreme Prejudice - Jerry Goldsmith

A score that reeks of the 80's. It's a weird but highly entertaining modern day western score that's a strange but satisfying mix of 80's Goldsmith synths, which works really well in this score, and symphony orchestra. There is some truly beautiful writing here for solo trumpet and woodwinds. And I think I prefer that 80's synth back beat in this score rather then when it was first introduced in Hoosiers. At least, I think that was the first time we heard that bizarre synth drum beat. It's also great that we get to hear the re-worked "The Plan" cue along with the exciting original that was replaced at the last minute. This is a really solid score. I'm glad I revisited it today!

-Erik-

Good call Erik. A rarely mentioned score that's darned good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Tyler: Noise, just noise. I have no intention to ever listening to that junk again.

Volker

yeah

yeah

Awful noise-fest score. I saw the film once and that was one too many times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tyler actually does a good job referencing Goldsmith's and Horner's scores (and, I think, even Goldenthal's) among all that noise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Tyler actually does a good job referencing Goldsmith's and Horner's scores (and, I think, even Goldenthal's) among all that noise.

Really!?? There is no way I'll listen to that earache again just to see if there's any weight to your opinion. I'll just have to take your word for it won't I. wink
  4. AvP:R has 3 solid cues, at the start. I recommend to stop then and there, if only to avoid hearing damage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Muhammad: The Messenger of God - A.R. Rahman

The most controversial film score of 2015. Most of the score seem to be officially uploaded on YouTube too for some reason - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … yaU6LOy0Kj

Maybe the best religious/ethnic score of the year. I really like it. A lot of really nice colorful vocal work here in particular. Also some nice exotic cues.

It probably won't be everyone's cup of tea though.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien (Goldsmith)
    Aliens (Horner)
    Alien 3 (Goldenthal)

The best thing about Streitenfeld's PROMETHEUS was Gregson-Williams' "Life" theme,...

Indeed.

and the only memorable things from Tyler and Kloser's AvP scores are an action cue or two.

Tyler: Noise, just noise. I have no intention to ever listen to that junk again.

Volker

in terms of paying homage, there are quite a bit of moments where Tyler truly evokes the score and memory of Aliens. But it's all drowned in a big pool of pompous music. If the album was indeed a lot shorter ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Washu wrote

The most controversial film score of 2015. Most of the score seem to be officially uploaded on YouTube too for some reason - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … yaU6LOy0Kj

Maybe the best religious/ethnic score of the year. I really like it. A lot of really nice colorful vocal work here in particular. Also some nice exotic cues.

Oh, how typical: You can't access it from Germany. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote

The score is excellent for the most part, but the film is just pure religious propaganda which I have no interest in seeing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Oh, how typical: You can't access it from Germany. slant

Yet I can? Weird....
    Not my cup of tea at all: early 90s Clannad-style esotheric synth oodlings with exotic touches and an insane orchestral crescendo here and there. Rozsa it ain't.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Washu wrote

The most controversial film score of 2015.

Why is it controversial?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Steven wrote
    Washu wrote

The most controversial film score of 2015.

Why is it controversial?

Indian musician and composer AR Rahman has responded to criticism against him for composing music for a film on Prophet Muhammad.

Rahman's response which he posted on Facebook said he composed the music in "good faith".

The Raza Academy in Mumbai said it issued a "fatwa" against Rahman and the Iranian director of the film Majid Majidi.

The institute also wrote to the Indian government, seeking a ban on the film.

The Oscar winning composer and musician was born a Hindu, but converted to Islam in 1989 at age 23, changing his name from RS Dileep Kumar to Allah Rakha Rahman.

Correspondents say his decision to make a public statement on Facebook is interesting, given that the musician generally steers clear of media interviews and talking about his beliefs. Although Rahman is active on social media, he usually uses it to promote his latest work or to point people to other interesting compositions.

In his statement Rahman said, "What, and if, I had the good fortune of facing Allah and He were to ask me on Judgement Day: I gave you faith, talent, money, fame and health... why did you not do music for my beloved Muhammad film? A film whose intention is to unite humanity, clear misconceptions and spread my message that life is about kindness, about uplifting the poor, and living in the service of humanity and not mercilessly killing innocents in my name."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34254541

Thor wrote
    The score is excellent for the most part, but the film is just pure religious propaganda which I have no interest in seeing.

Same, I have no interest in the movie save for the score and I guess the cinematography. It would be kinda cool if they completed the trilogy though, but who knows if that will happen, maybe they will drop the next one in 8 years like they did for this one. This could be the closest to A.R. Rahman's The Lord of the Rings we get. Totally different obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  7. NP: Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - Michael Giacchino
    The commercial album & Ode to Harrison

Splendid space opera music.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STEVE JOBS (Daniel Pemberton)

One of the scores that ALMOST made it to my Top 10 of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien (Goldsmith)
    Aliens (Horner)
    Alien 3 (Goldenthal)

Indeed.

Volker

in terms of paying homage, there are quite a bit of moments where Tyler truly evokes the score and memory of Aliens. But it's all drowned in a big pool of pompous music. If the album was indeed a lot shorter ...

Yep, about 7 and a half minutes. The total length of Requiem Epilogue, Opening Titles and Theme (1).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    NP: STEVE JOBS (Daniel Pemberton)

One of the scores that ALMOST made it to my Top 10 of the year.

Yeah. I listened to it a lot! So many cool tracks and varied types of music. A good score!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015
    Creed - Ludwig Göransson

Man, Göransson certainly doesn't want you to forget his theme, does he? Fortunately it's a good one. The rest of the score sounded good too, based on this first listen. Will definitely listen again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I cannot stop listening to this. I remember loving The Phantom Menace when it first appeared, but I'm not sure I loved it this much (it probably has a couple more stunning individual moments but when the dust settles I expect I'll end up finding this one more consistently excellent). The film probably put me off it a bit. This film - while far from perfect - just made me love it more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I cannot stop listening to this. I remember loving The Phantom Menace when it first appeared, but I'm not sure I loved it this much (it probably has a couple more stunning individual moments but when the dust settles I expect I'll end up finding this one more consistently excellent). The film probably put me off it a bit. This film - while far from perfect - just made me love it more.

I've seen the film twice now, and listened to the album maybe 5-6 times from start to finish. There's a lot to like in it, but I'm still critical and it won't make my Top 10 of the year (but it's now in the 'honourable mentions' category, at least).
    I am extremely serious.