• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Masada: The 1990 Varese CD was one of my earliest film music related purchases. I remember my excitement when I discovered this CD on the shelf of a shop. I prefer this LP recording (CBS or what was it originally?) to the Intrada OST presentation which still is an awesome release.

Volker

Both LP and CD are "hissy", not very clean.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Masada: The 1990 Varese CD was one of my earliest film music related purchases. I remember my excitement when I discovered this CD on the shelf of a shop. I prefer this LP recording (CBS or what was it originally?) to the Intrada OST presentation which still is an awesome release.

Volker

Both LP and CD are "hissy", not very clean.

The sound isn't that great, yes. But those suites are outstanding. I wouldn't mind someone re-record them... Mr. Fitzpatrick, Sir? Cough, cough, blink, blink . smile Probably a copyrights nightmare though.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Cat People (1982) - Giorgio Moroder; David Bowie
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hollywood would be better off without him.

He may not be comparable to the great Goldsmith, but Hollywood would be less without him. He's a skilled musician and a very capable, and at times really quite good, film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Cat People (1982) - Giorgio Moroder; David Bowie

Great soundtrack, and probably my favourite song with Bowie.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hollywood would be better off without him.

He may not be comparable to the great Goldsmith, but Hollywood would be less without him. He's a skilled musician and a very capable, and at times really quite good, film composer.

As you all remember, once I would have agreed with Gilles on this one, but no. Rambo is a miss and to be honest, while my reassessment of his career has been vastly positive, this score loses points with each listen.

Where I disagree with him though is the appearance (if misused in the film, not just used to little, but Tyler manages to misrepresent what Goldsmith's material stands for) of the themes. I still think that Goldsmith's Home Coming theme is, by virtue of him scoring this film, the best theme in Tyler's career.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2016
    NP: DINOSAUR - James Newton Howard

Man, I forgot how good this was. If only all modern animated film scores could be this good.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Rambo 4 is the most misplaced use of any original material in a sequel score. Add some of Tyler's worst orchestrations and boring underscore to the equation.

I hated the music in the film... whenever he quotes ones of Jerry's themes, it comes off as cheesy and third-rate.
    Hollywood would be better off without him. He'd better start a rock band or something, so he can drum to his heart's content.

oohhh, now you started something! wink

Tyler's a good tunesmith, but a horrible album producer. Reduce most of his scores with 30 minutes and you would get a much better listening experience.

Tyler's biggest flaws is however, he does tend to write the same old music
    his biggest strength (besides the themes), it's bold and exciting in comparison to most scores of today
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Tyler's a good tunesmith

I disagree. He certainly has no compunctions about writing bold, thematically driven music, so that's to be applauded, but I find the themes themselves to be melodically lacking and harmonically, quite frankly, boring. He seems to be limited to a pretty small set of chords and progressions. There are a few exceptions such as Iron Man 3, but even that I find to be a bit flawed. There are other composers who I think are actually far better at writing themes, but for whatever reason rarely choose to do so (like Steve Jablonsky).

Tyler's strengths for me lie primarily in the bold, fun attitude he infuses his music with (take a score like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has such a weird battle going on between the vivacious orchestrations and rhythmic writing on one hand and that stock, derivative theme on the other). The other thing he's great at is integrating rock and electronica elements - one of the best at that actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Intern - Theodore Shapiro

I like it. The overall score is very pleasant and make for a good listening experience. It has shades of Hans Zimmer's work on previous Nancy Meyer movies (The Holiday, especially), but modified enough to be not so distracting. The movie is surprisingly enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Tyler's a good tunesmith

I disagree. He certainly has no compunctions about writing bold, thematically driven music, so that's to be applauded, but I find the themes themselves to be melodically lacking and harmonically, quite frankly, boring. He seems to be limited to a pretty small set of chords and progressions. There are a few exceptions such as Iron Man 3, but even that I find to be a bit flawed. There are other composers who I think are actually far better at writing themes, but for whatever reason rarely choose to do so (like Steve Jablonsky).

Tyler's strengths for me lie primarily in the bold, fun attitude he infuses his music with (take a score like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has such a weird battle going on between the vivacious orchestrations and rhythmic writing on one hand and that stock, derivative theme on the other). The other thing he's great at is integrating rock and electronica elements - one of the best at that actually.

Yeah, I'd go with that. He's more of a skilled musician than "film composer". He can create really quite exciting, frenetic music that no doubt takes a fair amount of knowledge and skill to produce, but doesn't quite have the true spark of brilliance someone like Goldsmith had to elevate that skill into something a little more special (not that he's a bad film composer by any stretch).
  6. STAR WARS - THE FORCE AWAKENS

Only my third listen and I haven't seen the movie yet... so I'm really behind everyone here.

I'm finally starting to enjoy this disc. TFA doesn't have the sheer brilliance of the OT and most of the new themes don't exactly get stuck in my mind, but fuck it, it's new Star Wars music, orchestrated to a T and at times sensationally exciting and wonderful. 'March of the Resistance' and 'Scherzo for X-Wings' are both rollicking fun !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR WARS - THE FORCE AWAKENS

Only my third listen and I haven't seen the movie yet... so I'm really behind everyone here.

I'm finally starting to enjoy this disc. TFA doesn't have the sheer brilliance of the OT and most of the new themes don't exactly get stuck in my mind, but fuck it, it's new Star Wars music, orchestrated to a T and at times sensationally exciting and wonderful. 'March of the Resistance' and 'Scherzo for X-Wings' are both rollicking fun !

IMHO, you need to watch the movie. The score, by itself, doesn't work very well unless you know how it functioned in the movie.
  7. Oh I will, but I'm waiting for the blu-ray.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    The score, by itself, doesn't work very well unless you know how it functioned in the movie.

Funny, I haven't seen the film and I love it. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.
  8. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR WARS - THE FORCE AWAKENS

IMHO, you need to watch the movie. The score, by itself, doesn't work very well unless you know how it functioned in the movie.

For me, only occasionally does the score make much of an impact over the course of the movie. And that's probably only with a couple of the new themes and the appearance of the iconic themes from the OT.

So, be prepared for seeing the film not making much of a difference. It might happen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    The score, by itself, doesn't work very well unless you know how it functioned in the movie.

I didn't like the score until after I saw the movie. By itself, it sounded like a very well written generic John Williams score with lots of bombast and some old themes. After watching the movie, I could appreciate the album for what it is, a very well written music for the Star Wars universe, but without any catchy or even melodically strong themes. Even the stupid prequels had good themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Admit it! You're playing the score backwards.

Or at double speed !
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    but without any catchy or even melodically strong themes. Even the stupid prequels had good themes.

Is this still your opinion? You get nothing out of Rey's Theme, Poe's Theme, Kylo's Theme, The Resistance Theme, The Jedi's Steps Theme...?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    but without any catchy or even melodically strong themes. Even the stupid prequels had good themes.

Is this still your opinion? You get nothing out of Rey's Theme, Poe's Theme, Kylo's Theme, The Resistance Theme, The Jedi's Steps Theme...?

-Erik-

Yes. Not "melodically strong". TFA score does have themes, but they're not as strong as those from the original as well as the prequels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm trying to understand how anyone can think that "Rey's Theme" especially ISN'T melodically strong?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Even though I heard it earlier, I'm having a real hard time trying to recall Rey's theme right now, but that may be because I'm listening to an awesome track from Goldenthal's recent unofficial Sphere expansion. cheesy

Here's my version, almost 64 minutes, not much more is need IMO:

1. Spherical Credits
    2. The Surface
    3. Sounded Good
    4. Heart of Darkness
    5. Unknown Entry Event / The Sphere Analysis
    6. Logically, We Died
    7. Harry's Journey
    8. Norman's Pursuit
    9. The Monster
    10. Under Pressure / High-Voltage Decision
    11. Fire!
    12. The Power to Stop
    13. A Danger to All / Fully Booked
    14. Further Analysis
    15. Deep Sleep
    16. Repeating the Past
    17. The Hidden Button / Detonation
    18. Back to the Cosmos
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm trying to understand how anyone can think that "Rey's Theme" especially ISN'T melodically strong?

-Erik-

Not strong enough to be a theme in the Star Wars universe. It felt too anonymous.
  9. I think that TFA flows better than than any other original Star Wars album because it's not a compilation of concert suits. It's more organic. It's maybe also the most lyrical of all seven scores. More subdued maybe but very deep and emotional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love love love concert suites. The more the better please. Oh for a return to the days of completely rearranged and rerecorded albums, in fact (Jaws, ET, etc). Having said that - I do think the Force Awakens album flows beautifully. Some don't seem to like the placement of Rey's Theme but I think it's nice where it is, between two action cues (albeit ones that just flow into each other within the film).

As for Rey's Theme, I can't get enough. Just great.
  10. Obsession - Bernard Herrmann

I bought this in the still ongoing Tadlow sale. Now, I was not at all familiar with this work but I do like the composer's general musical voice, and the recording by the Prague Philharmonic is absolutely wonderful, yet I must say I'm a little disappointed, maybe I expected it to be a little more engaging or varied, but to me it feels after 20 minutes I've heard about everything Obsession has to offer. It's thematic, lush, and full of passion, but I can't get over the fact it starts to bore me after a while. It's basically a very mood-driven score. Maybe it's something that will entertain me more after repeated listens, or I need to be in a specific mood. Time will tell...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    NP: AIR FORCE ONE - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith is* an absolute master at using simple ideas that sustain without ever outstaying their welcome. The entire Hijacking cue is literally the same motifs repeating and yet it never feels boring.

*I use the present tense because talent like this cannot ever be considered dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016 edited
    I think we tend to use past and present tense interchangeably when it comes to discussing dead composers. Anyway, my hour long playlist for that fine, fine action score for anyone that might want to partake (which includes McNeely's excellent additions):

1. Main Titles Parachutes
    2. The Motorcade / Boarding Air Force One
    3. No Security
    4. Gibbs / The Hijacking
    5. Recovering The Pod
    6. Empty Rooms
    7. Emergency Call
    8. Order To Fire
    9. An Idea / Fuel Control
    10. The Right Wire
    11. Freeing The Hostages / A Fax From Air
    12. Free Flight
    13. Radek Is Released
    14. Marshall Makes His Move
    15. Radek Is Free
    16. Air Combat
    17. Escape From Air Force One
    18. Welcome Aboard, Sir
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    "The Hijacking" is really a masterclass in how to sustain a lengthy action cue using a minimum of musical material. It's structured beautifully, building gradually to a riotous climax.
  11. Southall wrote
    Some don't seem to like the placement of Rey's Theme but I think it's nice where it is, between two action cues

It's not between two action cues, it's in the middle of one action cue. It would be like putting Princess Leia's theme in the middle of the Battle of Yavin. Nutsoid. dizzy