• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016 edited
    Yes, I prefer using the Phantom Menace album template: Main title and action sequence, then the two concert themes, The Resistance and Rey's Theme respectively. Sets the tone and introduces the themes right off the bat.
  1. Steven wrote
    I think we tend to use past and present tense interchangeably when it comes to discussing dead composers. Anyway, my hour long playlist for that fine, fine action score for anyone that might want to partake (which includes McNeely's excellent additions):

Oh, I will have to give this a go later. I like to add these expanded playlists to my existing albums, the old-school way. Burn it to a CD, use a double-disc jewel case, print and insert the playlist, and add the extended score album on my shelf. And then insert the disc in my trusted audio compact disc reading apparatus and hit play. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    That's exactly the way I do it to! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    NP: STEVE JOBS (Daniel Pemberton)

This was already good the first time I heard it, but it's rising in appreciation after repeated listenings. I think it maybe should have been a Top 10, and not just a runner-up when I made my annual round-up @ Celluloid Tunes.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Atham wrote
    That's exactly the way I do it to! beer

Haha, ain't we awesome ?! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Battlestar Galactica; Daybreak (2009) - Bear McCreary

This music is like old wine. It just gets better and better.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: The Hateful Eight (2015) - Ennio Morricone

I only once listened to this score when it was released. I liked it but was probably too tired to fully appreciate it. Then TFA demanded my attention and I sort of forgot about THE. Now that I listen to it again I realise how good it really is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hateful Eight (2015) - Ennio Morricone

I only once listened to this score when it was released. I liked it but was probably to tired to fully appreciate it. Then TFA demanded my attention and I sort of forgot about THE. No that I listen to it again I realise how good it really is.

The opening wagon cue is excellent. The rest -- meh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

A mother fucking masterpiece, which should be clearly obvious to anyone who has heard it! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Home Alone (25th Anniversary Edition)

As always, fun and lovely (actually only disc 1 today, which holds the score as heard in the film).
    A score chock-full of themes, and instantly memorable too.
    Packaging and book are of topnotch design, usual LLL quality.
    Love these expanded releases, so worth their money ! cool
  6. NP: Arnold Schwarzenegger Action Collection (1993)

This Varese compilation is one of my oldest film music possessions. I didn't play it in ages. It contains excerpts from:
    - Terminator 2: Brad Friedel
    - Kindergarten Cop: Randy Edelman
    - Total Recall: Jerry Goldsmith
    - Running Man: Harold Faltermayer (Man, I forgot how great this is!)
    - Red Sonja: Ennio Morricone
    - Raw Deal: Tom Bahler / Claude Gaudette / Albhy Galuten / Chris Boardman (Cinemascore)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Setting Sun - M Jarre

It's not one for lovers of subtlety and nuance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Arnold Schwarzenegger Action Collection (1993)

This Varese compilation is one of my oldest film music possessions. I didn't play it in ages. It contains excerpts from:
    - Terminator 2: Brad Friedel
    - Kindergarten Cop: Randy Edelman
    - Total Recall: Jerry Goldsmith
    - Running Man: Harold Faltermayer (Man, I forgot how great this is!)
    - Red Sonja: Ennio Morricone
    - Raw Deal: Tom Bahler / Claude Gaudette / Albhy Galuten / Chris Boardman (Cinemascore)

Volker

I remember this compilation well. In fact, I think I may have owned it sometime in the 90s (but then subsequently traded it off after just a relatively short time). It was part of a series, I think, with other 'actor albums' like Sean Connery, Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone(?).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Now that you mention it: I think it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

A mother fucking masterpiece, which should be clearly obvious to anyone who has heard it! wink

-Erik-

Horner in full-swing Americana mode; beautiful stuff Erik, I agree.

NP: THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner

Also good, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: APOLLO 13 - James Horner

Quickly moved onto my favourite Horner score ever.

My fondness of the story (and all things space) may influence this but I feel that this is quite possibly the most effective space movie score of all time. Yes, it's incredibly patriotic and 'Americana', but to its benefit. It's stirring, tear-jerking, and thrilling.

In other words, I FUCKING love it.
  8. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hateful Eight (2015) - Ennio Morricone

I only once listened to this score when it was released. I liked it but was probably to tired to fully appreciate it. Then TFA demanded my attention and I sort of forgot about THE. No that I listen to it again I realise how good it really is.

The opening wagon cue is excellent. The rest -- meh.

I agree with Thor.

Hey, it happens to all of us!
  9. LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Horner in full-swing Americana mode; beautiful stuff Erik, I agree.

NP: THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner

Also good, I think.

I give Grill a higher rating than Natty Gann. I guess it speaks to me more on an emotional and compositional level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2016
    BRIDGE OF SPIES | thomas newman

I was a little disappointed by the movie (perhaps because I expected so much). Still, a very fine film but the ending somewhat doesn't deliver the complete buildup. There's very little music in the first half of the movie but when Spielberg moves to Germany, Newman comes in with a couple of long scenes, including the tense finale on the bridge. I really like the score a lot on cd, but I think it didn't shine in the movie enough. However, it fits the atmosphere like a glove, reminding me of Road to Perdition (the Rain scene!). The End Title track is fantastic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    BRIDGE OF SPIES | thomas newman

I was a little disappointed by the movie (perhaps because I expected so much). Still, a very fine film but the ending somewhat doesn't deliver the complete buildup. There's very little music in the first half of the movie but when Spielberg moves to Germany, Newman comes in with a couple of long scenes, including the tense finale on the bridge. I really like the score a lot on cd, but I think it didn't shine in the movie enough. However, it fits the atmosphere like a glove, reminding me of Road to Perdition (the Rain scene!). The End Title track is fantastic.

The film is one of my favourites from last year -- even though the story is deadly serious, it's a playful work in which they go kinda wild with editing, photography etc. Yes, it's dialogue-heavy (and that's not usually my cup of tea), but notice how every single dialogue scene is shot in an interesting way so it's not just a standard shot-reverse shot. I liked Newman's score too. For me, this film was delightfully oldfashioned in style and approach -- like a video essay from an old professor and master of his craft, showing everyone how it's done.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2016
    NP: SOLAN & LUDVIG: THE BIG CHEESE RACE (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

The best score for an animated film in 2015! Hopefully, it's getting a commercial soundtrack in a few weeks time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016
    NP: Tom Sawyer & Hucleberry Finn - Robert Gulya

One of last year's greatest surprised. This score is chock–full of swashbuckling goodness! One of my favourite scores of 2015.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016
    Take A Hard Ride Jerry Goldsmith

Probably my favourite western theme ever written. This could certainly do with a Rio Conchos-like rerecording (minus the man himself, alas).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Take A Hard Ride Jerry Goldsmith

Probably my favourite western theme ever written. This could certainly do with a Rio Conchos-like rerecording (minus the man himself, alas).

Walking through the fields of Glastonbury Festival I came across a small band who looked south American/Mexican, with a small crowd, they were playing THIS theme, because it was out of context for me it took a minute or so for me to realise what they were playing. I wanted to ask them about it but they played on in a different direction I wasn't interested in so I walked on. Still cool though, made me smile.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016 edited
    NP : THE H8TFUL EIGHT - Ennio Morricone

Moody brilliance. I'm totally loving this. I could do without the dialogue, to be frank, Tarantino's obsession with the N word is disturbing, the man has some hang ups, give it a break for cripes sake!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Brilliant indeed. Luckily OST and dialogue do not overlap so everybody can easily edit a playlist to his liking.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Walking through the fields of Glastonbury Festival I came across a small band who looked south American/Mexican, with a small crowd, they were playing THIS theme, because it was out of context for me it took a minute or so for me to realise what they were playing. I wanted to ask them about it but they played on in a different direction I wasn't interested in so I walked on. Still cool though, made me smile.

Nice. Maybe they can rerecord the score? Bring 'em back! It's one of those projects I'd happily fund provided I had the money. I'd fund all of Goldsmith's western scores for a rerecording.