• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    And yes, Tadlow has newly recorded the complete score,
    http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2016/01/the- … goldsmith/

shocked

Sweet jesus. I had no idea. This is great news!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

Sweet jesus. I had no idea. This is great news!

I've known this for months!!! Somebody been slackin' on the JERRY GOLDSMITH thread rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of you nerds should have told me directly! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    One of you nerds should have told me directly! angry

Don't you go blaming your geek-dar failure on anyone else sunshine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAWN PATROL (Joe Kraemer)

Screw MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. This was knocked to the GROUND by this score last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Uh huh... dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tadlow has its work cut out for them to out do that suite!

Are there plans in the pipeline?

I meant to single out The Blue Max suite. shame

-Erik-

I'm looking forward to the whole set of bonus music, probably more so than The Blue Max. If they can nail The Mummy, I'll have made a fine purchase. All the rest is icing on the cake. And I already know the cake will taste great... lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The sample of The Mummy isn't great... something feels a bit lackluster about the performance and conducting but I'll have to save my final judgment until I hear the whole thing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did you hear the MUMMY performance (and other performances) on the Silvestri CD from Ghent? What did you think of that?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Silvertri Ghent disc was pretty solid. The only lackluster performance was Predator, which many orchestras have a lot of problems with.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    The sample of The Mummy isn't great... something feels a bit lackluster about the performance and conducting but I'll have to save my final judgment until I hear the whole thing.

-Erik-

It sounds sluggish, just a tad too slow. And not very punchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Mummy suite could be recorded by a retarded school band for all I care, fucking Blue Max is getting a rerecording!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    That's not to imply I don't love The Mummy, I do. It's one of my favourites. But so is The Blue Max, and this has always been in need of a full rerecording!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    fucking Blue Max is getting a rerecording!

I'm just a tad disappointed that The Hunt from The Final Conflict suite isn't included ( not that the original could be improved upon wink ) and why not Second Coming rather than Trial Run? Oh well! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BLUE MAX, SCHMU MAX. Erik, don't you think it's room for a slower version of the PREDATOR theme?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... actually, I wish more would re-record Predator 2... like this!

Neil Norman and his Cosmic Orchestra knocked this one out of the park!

-Erik-
  2. The Mummy is not in need of rerecording at all. Speaking as someone who usually has a bit of a cloth ear for such things, that album sounds AWESOME.

The Blue Max on the other hand...bring it! I hope the action cues don't lose any of their punchiness. I heard a rerecording of "The Attack" once (sorry, can't recall which) and it was super reverby, felt really lackluster in comparison to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Mummy is not in need of rerecording at all. Speaking as someone who usually has a bit of a cloth ear for such things, that album sounds AWESOME.

Don't worry... it's only concert suite that's was recorded.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Blue Max on the other hand...bring it! I hope the action cues don't lose any of their punchiness. I heard a rerecording of "The Attack" once (sorry, can't recall which) and it was super reverby, felt really lackluster in comparison to the original.

Most likely an early City of Prague Philharmonic recording. I think I know of the one you are describing. The best, IMO, is this recording!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... actually, I wish more would re-record Predator 2... like this!

Neil Norman and his Cosmic Orchestra knocked this one out of the park!

-Erik-

:like:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2016 edited
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care for THE BLUE MAX at all. I traded away my Legacy CD eons ago. Never regretted it. Irritating score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I guess I'm the only one who cares for THE BLUE MAX. I traded away my Legacy CD eons ago. Forever regretted it. Brilliant score.

What a bummer!

Still, you can catch up with Tadlow's rerecording of this great work you lucky Thor you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    biggrin
  3. Thor wrote
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care for THE BLUE MAX at all. I traded away my Legacy CD eons ago. Never regretted it. Irritating score.

No, you aren't.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    WIth both Thor and the Captain being contrary about it, I should try this score again. It's been a good many years since I listened to it!
    (I won't be getting the re-recording, though. It's never been a score that's very dear to my heart, and I'm perfectly content with the original release).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A wise decision on the former, but the latter -- would not a crisper sound be more appealing? The remastered OST is...okay...but still in need of a rerecording. And we've got one!
  4. Thor wrote
    Did you hear the MUMMY performance (and other performances) on the Silvestri CD from Ghent? What did you think of that?

About The Mummy Returns on that World Soundtrack Awards disc, I only have one problem with that suite, the final seconds... I preferred how it would just fade out on the OST, not those weird couple of ending notes that are clearly made up.

Also the sequencing of the tracks is a bit off. The most rousing, memorable music is during the first half.

Thor wrote

I guess the many cymbal crashes and pounding drums don't do much good for your ears, hence the irritating ?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. ONCE UPON A TIME... THE ESSENTIAL ENNIO MORRICONE FILM MUSIC COLLECTION

This one

Morricone, City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, Morricone, Crouch End Festival Chorus, Morricone

The first disc is nothing but his western themes ! love
    The second disc is the rest.

Brilliant album punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I guess the many cymbal crashes and pounding drums don't do much good for your ears, hence the irritating ?

That's certainly a big part of it, yes. But I don't really like the march either. There's just something about this score that goes on my nerves.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2016 edited
    THE ABYSS - DELUXE EDITION

One of my favorite expansions of the recent years. It was one of my holy grails in need of a complete release, because there's just so many odds and ends that add to the overall scope of this great score. For instance the 10 minute Montana cue, which is Silvestri synth heaven. He created this unique ambience of unease and tension with electronics only, yet it feels organic. Another nice surprise is What a Drag (original), a slowed down version of an earlier action cue of which only a small portion is in the film. And the inclusion of probably my most sought after cue since seeing the film the first time (Freeze, worth it for one minute of excellence). The Abyss really is one of Silvestri's finest and I for one would love to see him collaborate with Cameron for the Avatar sequels. Then again, his writing isn't as sharp as it used to, so I shouldn't hope for The Abyss 2.0.

Not related to this release but I see one name popping up in my many listens of some of these expansions done by Varèse or Lalaland, and that is one person playing the viola, Pamela Goldsmith. Is she family of the well-known one?
  6. NP: The Twelve Choruses - Miklós Rózsa
    (Intrada)

Outstanding.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.