• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018
    I have no way of knowing. What period of time does this take place over?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

5. Brian Tyler (6)

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You listen to far too much Brian Tyler! wink

Southall wrote
    Latest positions:
    8. Brian Tyler (5)

You've improved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote

What's your monitoring system and over what period of time are the numbers based?

Just the iTunes play count (but it's exceptionally rare that I listen to anything that doesn't make its way into that play count). The time period equals the period since all my play counts decided to reset themselves, which I think was about 4-5 years ago.
  1. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

What's your monitoring system and over what period of time are the numbers based?

Just the iTunes play count (but it's exceptionally rare that I listen to anything that doesn't make its way into that play count). The time period equals the period since all my play counts decided to reset themselves, which I think was about 4-5 years ago.

Thank you, this now gives me something to work with (heads off to examine my last.fm stats.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018
    thanks
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I guess it's as good a time as any to update my own list (I've kept my playcounts updated in iTunes pretty much right back to when I first started collecting, hence the huge totals). Here's what it was last time I did this, in May 2014 (in hours):

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Hans Zimmer 546.2
    John Powell 334.3
    James Newton Howard 229.5
    Alan Silvestri 182.7
    Brian Tyler 161
    Thomas Bergersen (Two Steps From Hell) 150.8
    Harry Gregson-Williams 149.6
    Howard Shore 141.8
    John Williams 139.1
    Danny Elfman 132.7
    David Arnold 124.2
    James Horner 108.1
    Steve Jablonsky (!!) 105.1

My guess is the more I update this, the smaller the gap between Powell and Zimmer will become. And the higher Williams, Horner and Goldsmith (a shameful 34.9!!!) will rise.

And the numbers now, expanded to Top 20, and any rank changes noted:

1. Hans Zimmer 648.7
    2. John Powell 437.1
    3. James Newton Howard 281.6
    4. Thomas Bergersen (of Two Steps From Hell) 222.3 (+2)
    5. John Williams 206.4 (+4)
    6. Alan Silvestri 201.4 (-2)
    7. Brian Tyler, 191.8 (-2)
    8. Howard Shore, 175.4
    9. Danny Elfman, 166.1 (+1)
    10. Harry Gregson-Williams, 165.5 (-3)
    11. James Horner, 153.4 (+1)
    12. David Arnold, 149.5 (-1)
    13. Steve Jablonsky, 116.6
    14. Klaus Badelt, 104
    15. John Debney, 80.7
    16. Michael Giacchino, 75.8 (+6)
    17. Murray Gold, 65.3 (-1)
    18. Alexandre Desplat, 62.9 (+2)
    19. Patrick Doyle, 62.8 (-1)
    20. Jerry Goldsmith, 54.6 (+1)

Despite my prediction back in 2014, Zimmer seems to have maintained his lead on Powell, although this has a lot to do with the fact that I've been exploring a ton of his back catalogue recently (perhaps looking for the quality that is so lacking in his present-day output...). The ascendance of John Williams and Thomas Bergersen pleases me, and that's a pretty accurate top 5 favorite (not best) composers for me. Desplat's and especially Giacchino's sharp ascents have everything to do with how prolific and consistently good they've been over the past few years. And I finally got Goldsmith into my top 20! Still a lot of work to do there and some great composers missing, but it's gradually shaking off the influence of my earlier, less cultured years (despite the persistence of Badelt, Jablonsky, Gregson-Williams and even Tyler in positions way higher than they deserve).
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith 55.1
    John Williams 38.1
    Ennio Morricone 29.9
    Howard Shore 29.4
    James Horner 27.6
    Bernard Herrmann 27.1
    Brian Tyler 26.0
    Marco Beltrami 21.3
    Hans Zimmer 20.8
    Christopher Young 20.0
    Murray Gold 19.6
    John Barry 19.0
    Michael Giacchino 18.5
    Danny Elfman 18.1
    Alan Silvestri 16.3
    Elmer Bernstein 14.8
    Bear McCreary 14.1
    Alexandre Desplat 13.0
    Basil Poledouris 11.9
    Vladimir Cosma 11.3
    James Newton Howard 11.1
    John Carpenter 10.8
    Trevor Jones 10.5
    Steve Jablonsky 10.5
    Chris Tilton 10.2
    John Powell 9.2
    Fred Steiner 9.0
    Roque Baños 8.9
    Patrick Doyle 8.8
    Naoki Sato 8.3

Looking down my 'all time' plays (2011 to present) on last.fm (which is linked into my MediaMonkey music player on my PC) here are my standings:

1. Jerry Goldsmith (1)
    2. Ennio Morricone (3)
    3. Bernard Herrmann (6)
    4. Christopher Young (10)
    5. James Newton Howard (21)
    6. Hans Zimmer (9)
    7. Howard Shore (4)
    8. John Williams (2)
    9. Marco Beltrami (8)
    10. John Debney (-)
    11. Thomas Newman (-)
    12. Brian Tyler (7)
    13. James Horner (5)
    14. John Barry (12)
    15. Elmer Bernstein (16)
    16. Danny Elfman (14)
    17. Michael Giacchino (13)
    18. Fred Steiner (27)
    19. Alexandre Desplat (18)
    20. Alan Silvestri (15)
    21. Vladimir Cosma (20)
    22. Leonard Rosenman (-)
    23. Murray Gold (11)
    24. Barry Gray (-)
    25. Basil Poledouris (19)
    26. John Carpenter (22)
    27. Elliot Goldenthal (-)
    28. Bear McCreary (17)
    29. Gerald Fried (-)
    30. Kenji Kawai (-)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2018 edited
    No idea, and I'm not sure how much fruitful information I would get out of such a survey. In periods, I listen to a lot of new acquisitions quite a few times, while I play my old school favourites less. So it wouldn't really be representative, since the musical habits fluctuate so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    No idea, and I'm not sure how much fruitful information I would get out of such a survey. In periods, I listen to a lot of new acquisitions quite a few times, while I play my old school favourites less. So it wouldn't really be representative, since the musical habits fluctuate so much.

I am the same to an extent. My lists for shorter term periods is very different. Even over 1 year my top listens have low totals since my listening revolves around lots of composers, listening to most albums once or twice and a few albums more frequently.

But I like lists and just put mine out there for people to take what they want from it.