• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    I agree that an expensive special edition is not exciting for everyone (I wont buy it either) but I'm still glad that he made the package. Today we get more and more digital downloads only and it's great that the die hard fans can buy something more special if they want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    Well... as there are plenty of people concerned about paying 110,- dollars for a classic score (Spartacus), why bother making a 250,- (!!) package for a non-commercial, new, small score? I mean, if there's a market for it, fine, but I really can't figure out why they thought all of these would sell, and why this would a score that would warrant such a release confused (lovely though it is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • A hard-cover Photo Book documenting the writing and score production process – including the orchestra recording sessions at EMI Abbey Road Studios in London, additional recording sessions at Klaus Badelt’s Theme Park Studios in Santa Monica, California, and writing & mix sessions in his personal studios in Paris, France

• A hardcover Conductor Score with all the music recorded at Abbey Road London, signed by Klaus

• A Bonus Feature Blu-ray Disc containing High-Definition videos
    – “Behind the score” featurette
    – “Behind the score” trailers

• A Bonus Feature DVD with same content in Standard Definition

• A Special Edition Audio-CD containing the complete, uncut score

• A Blue-ray Disc, containing the complete score in DTS-HD High Definition Audio, lossless, 24 Bit, 5.1 surround (and also in DTS), for playback in standalone Blu-ray players and PlayStation 3

• A DVD, audio only, containing the complete score in Dolby Digital (AC3), for playback in any DVD player

• A DVD-ROM containing
    – the complete score as High Definition WAV audio files, uncompressed, 24 Bit, 5.1 surround
    – wallpaper backgrounds
    – all photos of the book, free to share on your social sites, blogs & websites
    – ringtones

• A signed photograph by Klaus

I'm extremely puzzled by such a lavish package for a fun but obscure score for a minor production.
    Even at a limited edition of 250, I greatly wonder who do their target audience is? (serious question by the way, as I cannot figure it out for the life of me).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I want it.
    I probably won't actually buy it, but I want it...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't want it, don't care.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I think that it's good that this sort of thing is available for those who want it. I assume that Badelt doesn't need to spend anything up front in order to produce this. If people want it then they'll put it together for them?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree Alan, I didn't mean to sound that negative, I just meant it from a purely personal POV.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    I agree Alan, I didn't mean to sound that negative, I just meant it from a purely personal POV.

I know. My comments just happened to come after yours - an were not a comment aimed specifically at you. But, then you know that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was quite serious to know what sort of people this was aimed at, or who would buy that.
    (Not "would if money was available" but actually, physically purchased it).

I'm seriously intrigued by the marketing idea behind this, but I guess the sales department for the composer store won't be looking/posting here, so the next best thing is to get into the mind of "other side".

Yes, of course I know it's aimed at "the collector", but that's a little too abstract for me.
    Why this score? Why this film? Why this composer?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The same questions Martijn poses came up to me too. I'm really puzzled about this, and I studied marketing!
  3. Maybe the composer is testing the market? With the first available score that he can try this out with. Most composers are really very much sold to their own compositions and I imagine that they are hopeful that people would want to buy this.

Everyone has their own "special" music examples. Maybe this will be someones own best score. And if someone wants a memento of such a score then this would be an ideal purchase?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    Well, i think things are always simpler than what we make them to be:

Obviously this is a package for badelt nutjob collectors. If he made 300 of those packages with his team (i.e. minimum cost) for instance, i am sure he'll sell them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Now I think of it, there's a logical explanation for doing this on a film like this, instead of a big commercial film with a large audience: cheap re-use fees and minimum hassle over legal rights. It makes the package (relatively!) cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rightoo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm guessing this was a score that Badelt was very proud of, and he wanted it presented as comprehensively as possible. Inspired by the SPARTACUS ordeal, he decided to give it a shot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    But will you be buying this, Thor? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited
    Yeah... But it is a really cool idea and it is something I'd really like to see with other scores, so I hope it's successful enough for him or others to consider similar packages in the future.

The Extra Man is really a nice score! It's kind of in the same zone as some of Le Petit Nicolas as far as mood and has a really great ensemble feel. Since it's a complete score it does get a bit repetitive, but a playlist of highlights makes for a very nice little album:

1. Daydream
    2. 232 E 91st St.
    3. Mary
    4. Odd Henry Story
    5. Driving to South Hampton
    6. Russian Tea Room
    7. Vivian to Bed
    8. Burglar
    9. Rejection
    10. Mirror, Mirror
    11. Henry Returns
    12. Homeless Montage
    13. Louis Promotion
    14. Rice
  4. Martijn wrote
    • A hard-cover Photo Book documenting the writing and score production process – including the orchestra recording sessions at EMI Abbey Road Studios in London, additional recording sessions at Klaus Badelt’s Theme Park Studios in Santa Monica, California, and writing & mix sessions in his personal studios in Paris, France

• A hardcover Conductor Score with all the music recorded at Abbey Road London, signed by Klaus

• A Bonus Feature Blu-ray Disc containing High-Definition videos
    – “Behind the score” featurette
    – “Behind the score” trailers

• A Bonus Feature DVD with same content in Standard Definition

• A Special Edition Audio-CD containing the complete, uncut score

• A Blue-ray Disc, containing the complete score in DTS-HD High Definition Audio, lossless, 24 Bit, 5.1 surround (and also in DTS), for playback in standalone Blu-ray players and PlayStation 3

• A DVD, audio only, containing the complete score in Dolby Digital (AC3), for playback in any DVD player

• A DVD-ROM containing
    – the complete score as High Definition WAV audio files, uncompressed, 24 Bit, 5.1 surround
    – wallpaper backgrounds
    – all photos of the book, free to share on your social sites, blogs & websites
    – ringtones

• A signed photograph by Klaus

I'm extremely puzzled by such a lavish package for a fun but obscure score for a minor production.
    Even at a limited edition of 250, I greatly wonder who do their target audience is? (serious question by the way, as I cannot figure it out for the life of me).

Well, that out did "Spartacus", I think. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    Seems like Badelt is coming into his own as a composer. Nice to see him having control over some of his more minor scores, like L'Arnacoeur and The Extra Man.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited
    I knew there was good music behind the POTC score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    That's what you get when you don't try and make the orchestra sound like synthesizers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    That's what you get when you don't try and make the orchestra sound like synthesizers.

Actually, I think that's what you DO get when you try to make an orchestra sound like a synth.

While it's fun as a sort of curiousity to hear the music in an orchestra-only format, it doesn't really suit it well. This is music that is not composed based on traditional symphonic rules. It's a prog rock-type idiom with simultaneous chord changes etc. that are not natural to an orchestra. Orchestra is only used as colourization and augmentation in the "power anthem" style, of which this is a typical example.

So while it's kinda fun and while I really like the power anthem style in general, I don't think this is the best way to showcase the music. It's a bit like those LSO Plays Classic Rock albums, in fact. I'd rather have the original rock songs.

May I also say that I don't understand the constant need to have a huge screen with images from the film during such concerts. Here is FINALLY a chance for the music to get full attention and prove its worth as an independent musical expression, and then people watch the screens as if it were basically just a cinemagoing experience. But I know I'm in the minority on that, especially considering that the target audience is wider than the film score nerd.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes

May I also say that I don't understand the constant need to have a huge screen with images from the film during such concerts. Here is FINALLY a chance for the music to get full attention and prove its worth as an independent musical expression, and then people watch the screens as if it were basically just a cinemagoing experience.

Oh, you're going to enjoy the World Soundtrack Awards!
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hehe, it's full of that isn't it? wink I am not too fond of this either, if you are going to provide the world with film music in concert and want to pass it along as independent musical compositions, then you have to do the utmost to support that notion, not the contrary.

Oh and am i the only one who likes the original score better than that? :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited
    fommes wrote
    Oh, you're going to enjoy the World Soundtrack Awards!
    biggrin

I'm sure it's there too. It's everywhere. I'm positively surprised when it isn't.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hehe, it's full of that isn't it? wink I am not too fond of this either, if you are going to provide the world with film music in concert and want to pass it along as independent musical compositions, then you have to do the utmost to support that notion, not the contrary.

Oh and am i the only one who likes the original score better than that? :shrug:

No, me too. That's what I tried to say above.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010 edited
    Another pick-your-price complete score download from Klaus' store, "A Bout Portant":

http://store.klausbadelt.com/album/a-bo … inal-score

Thanks again Klaus! smile I haven't listened to it yet, it's downloading...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    Between his store and all the recent promos, I can't keep up with his music anymore! A nice problem to have!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Feliz wrote
    Another pick-your-price complete score download from Klaus' store, "A Bout Portant":

http://store.klausbadelt.com/album/a-bo … inal-score

Thanks again Klaus! smile I haven't listened to it yet, it's downloading...

Had a first listen of sort last night and I thought that it's kinda boring. Why hasn't he released Shanghai? or other scores that's actually worth the purchase?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    how is this like ?