• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015 edited
    I'm having an absolutely delightful listen to his score for THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958). This is what film music should sound like.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    Great composer. I'm a little bit surprised there hasn't been a topic title for him.

Oh, Tom.

It's MalcoLm Arnold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    One of my favourite Arnold scores is NINE HOURS TO RAMA which I believe has never been released on CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015
    I think I can say that Arnold got his start in films after the war and eventually found his way into the world of concert music where he was just as successful if not more so. If anyone on the forum is interested Chandos has just released his complete works and previously they have material in their film series.
    https://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?C … HAN%209851
    https://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?C … HAN%209100

I've done a bit of looking for some OST material and have not found much. I'm sure this has to do with the way that material is handled through the Rank Corp. They do a film and then things just disappear.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
    My understanding is that Malcolm Arnold began his career as a musician in a London orchestra.
    After years of performing, he subsequently involved himself as a composer for both concert hall and cinema.
    Seems as though England had less of a division between these 2 areas than USA with respect to composers who toiled in both fields.

Alwyn, Frankel, Rawsthorne ... plus others ... all had dual careers similar to that of Malcolm Arnold.

As for THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, I suppose Tom posted about it since Naxos reissued the former Marco Polo re-recording.
    This is one of my Top 50 favorite albums, which I posted before about here @ MT.
    THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN was initially on a 20th Fox LP from 1958.
    It's been in my collection for a long time so it's interesting to see someone make a recent comment on something which I've been acquainted with for decades.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    One of my favourite Arnold scores is NINE HOURS TO RAMA which I believe has never been released on CD.

Yes, it's on a Vocalion CD, Timmer. smile

http://www.dresscircle.com/3397-thickbo … ion-cd.jpg

This is actually one of my Top 50 favorite albums, which I posted about (in Timmer's thread, no less tongue )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I need to pay more bloody attention. This one WILL be MINE!