• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    Lets remember James Horner in this thread.

Yesterday James Horner died in a plane crash:
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/james … 201525804/

I'm shocked and sad. Don't know much to say. He was one of the first composers I explored the work of. Legends of the Fall and Braveheaert are obvious introductions, but I also loved Casper, Glory and The Rocketeer. Unbelievable.

sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    Just for once I'm quite lost for words.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. This is the end of an era. It was listening to the Braveheart album in my 9th grade art class (the teacher played it every day for several weeks) that I first heard film music that genuinely moved me outside of a film. That album was my next purchase. Shortly thereafter I saw GLORY and was stunned by the music. I bought the album. At that point I didn't care much about who wrote music, I just listened to what I liked. Just a couple month later I saw Apollo 13 and was stunned by the music during the launch. I had to have it. Sometime after buying it I realized that all three of these scores were written by the same guy! To think that after his next couple albums come out that we'll never have another new film scored by James Horner is just so sad. Thanks for all the great music, Mr. Horner. My life has been so much richer for it.

NP - "The Place Where Dreams Come True" - FIELD OF DREAMS
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    James Horner. Thank you for enriching the days of my youth with your wondrous, beautiful, magical film scores.
    Your music played an important and comforting roll of my life. Thank you so much for all you have given the film and music industry. Thank you for all you've give us! Rest in peace.
  2. It was Aliens that kickstarted it for me. That music plays a huge part in it becoming my favourite film ever. The next time I'll watch it, it will not be the same.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This is terrible news. I don't quite know what to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    It was Legends of the Fall that made me realize his tremendous talent for sweeping melody. Then I realized his other influential works, from Commando to Aliens and Glory. The man, the maestro, James Horner, will be missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What terrible news to wake up to. In fact, I literally woke up to it, as a friend texted me a message about the death. I've posted a facebook update (which is just my photo with him back when I interviewed him in 2011), but I really need to let it sink in before I post anything worthwhile.

Tragic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    One of my favorite composers and Wolf Totem is my favorite score of 2015 so far. I don't know what to say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. Damn.

I don't really know what else to say at the moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. So sad. A paramount composer of film scores has passed. I can't imagine ever to stop listening to his music.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    I don't know what to say...
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    It's surreal. He had already confirmed doing the next Avatar and as irony would have it amongst his last projects is a documentary "Living in the Age of Airplanes", he died doing what he was passionate about. I remember fondly his emotional speech in Vienna after he received the Max Steiner award and so wanted him to be bestowed the same honor at the WSA one day, but it was not to be. Such a loss, I hope many tributes will follow.
  5. A Beautiful Mind is my favorite movie of all time and Horner's music is one of the main reasons why. It was through that movie and his score that I became a fan of film music in the first place.

This is a terrible loss.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    Tragic. RIP from Serbia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    There are no words. I just can't believe that it is true.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    I’ve been visiting this website on a daily basis for the last two years but I don’t think I’ve posted anything before. I might have been too shy to contribute. I have a long way to go to educate myself in film and music so I honestly prefer to read and learn.

I can’t help myself now however, and I’d rather post this here than anywhere else.

When you listen to music by a certain composer almost everyday for a number of years you can’t help but owe a part of who you are to them. Scores like Perfect Storm, Man Without a Face, Braveheart, House of Sand and Fog, Enemy at the Gates, Legends of the Fall, New World, Deep Impact, Land Before Time..

What a profound loss. A true melodic master in an age where you barely remember the music you just heard in the cinema. Incredible use of colors and textures to evoke emotions, always painting the larger picture. He really wrote from the heart.

RIP sir. You will be sorely missed.
  6. I've been listening to this man's music for over a decade and I'm still amazed at the breadth of music he has written. Everything from big budget blockbusters (Avatar, Titanic, The Amazing Spider Man) to dramatic Oscar winners (A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Braveheart) to small intimate dramas (House of Sand and Fog, The Man Without a Face, The Spitfire Grill) to warm and wholesome children's fare (Casper, Balto, The Land Before Time).

I think cinema will be feeling this loss for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    This is absolutely awful. I've been listening to his music an awful lot lately - I will continue in honour.

Such a superb film composer. He will be greatly missed.
  7. Very sad news to wake up to. Just terrible for his family and the film industry. Growing up, the amount of times i listened to Aliens is incalculable. Love a great deal of his work and always will. RIP Mr Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015
    Sad... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015
    I'm still not able to accept it. It hit really, really hard. sad I really have no words.

My humble tribute here. http://scorehaven.blogspot.in/2015/06/i … orner.html
  8. I'm up at Darwin island in the Galapagos with no phone or Internet for the last week and just got on Satellite internet to see this terrible turn of events. I've seen too many friends from work die in small aircraft crashes, this is just tragic, heartbreaking news.

He was one of my favourite composers from the very beginning of my love of film music and I really believe he was currently writing some of his best work. Listening to 'Wolf Totem' and 'Pas de deux' this year has been an absolute joy. I will always fondly remember sitting with Thor, Tim, Kerry and James in Vienna with Horner 2 rows in front of us watching (and it seemed like he was very much enjoying) his own music performed beautifully on stage.

I'll be listening to lots of Horner for the rest of this shoot. RIP maestro.
  9. I am just reading the liner notes of the PAS DE DEUX album.:

"It almost seemed that Horner wasn't coming (a qualified pilot, he'd trouble landing his private plane), but when he eventually appeared, the musicians gratefully played for him."

There again is the lump in my throat.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2021
    It was the 6th anniversary of his passing a couple of days ago.

I don't know if anyone else is like this, but I never really play music by a single composer on his or her birth/death anniversary. I play Horner regularly, on any given day, whenever I feel like it. Sometimes, I play a single album, sometimes I get into a "groove", but I rarely set aside a day for "tribute listening" or the like.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. No, it's something I never do. I have never felt the urge to 'tribute listen.'
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. I don't as well. Don't get me wrong, but I never visit a grave on the anniversary of someone's passing as well. I don't need to remind them that moment, I think of them whenever I feel like it.

It's the same I guess with not listening to their music to remember them at that moment. They're in my (our) heart all the time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh