• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    My pick:

Edward Shearmur... man that sucks! He wrote such a fantastic score for Sky Captain... and what did he get afterwards...? Mostly some lame assignments. I just don't get it?! He can write such great music ala Williams, and no-one wants to give him some interesting movie to score?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You have quoted - almost word for word - a conversation I was having with a fellow Shearmur fan.
    It's a bizzar mystery for sure! Reign Of Fire and Sky Captain are amazing, powerfully rich scores that one would think would have catipulted Shearmur to the top composer list.
    But.............this has not been the case!
    Maybe someone out there knows why?
  1. Personally I could do with more David Shire. We can't appreciate his considerable abilities when he's no longer with us.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I personally do see Shearmur as the closest next thing to John Powell. His writing is incredibly similar.
  2. Cliff Eidelman and David Newman are my 2 picks. Eidelman can write great scores for either epics or passionate and strong romances, but the fluffy comedies aren't what he supposed to score (just listen to Meteor Man, Christopher Columbus, Free Willy 3 and Triumph of the Spirit to prove my point)

And don't get me started at Newman. All those silly comedies while he gave us The Mighty Ducks, Operation Dumbo Drop, Anastasia, The Phantom. Pfff this man can sell brass like any other and yet he must do his wild energetic bunch (also a trademark of him though) in those stupid comedies of Eddie Murphy. Give him an epic ala Eragon or LOTR and you'll see
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cliff Eidelman, certainly. Those who doubt, just listen to MAGDALENE, OCEAN MEN:EXTREME DIVE, HARRISON'S FLOWERS, Free Willy 3: The Rescue , Christopher Columbus: The Discovery and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. You'll be stunned.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    Oh and JOHN BARRY. The man should have been launching 2-3 scores per year, each year! Instead we get nothing and loads of crap from 'hip' younger composers instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and JOHN BARRY. The man should have been launching 2-3 scores per year, each year! Instead we get nothing and loads of crap from 'hip' younger composers instead.

Underused, maybe, but UNDERRATED?!?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I agree that Ed Shearmur is an incredibly talented composer - Sky Captain was one of the best scores in recent years. But underrated by the studios, nah... he is very busy and has a lot of assignments all the time.

The truly underrated/underused composers who would deserve a shot at any huge blockbuster such as The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek, Iron Man or whatever:

Bruce Broughton
    Arthur B Rubinstein
    Robert Folk
    Laura Karpman

mc
  3. moviescore wrote
    I agree that Ed Shearmur is an incredibly talented composer - Sky Captain was one of the best scores in recent years. But underrated by the studios, nah... he is very busy and has a lot of assignments all the time.

The truly underrated/underused composers who would deserve a shot at any huge blockbuster such as The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek, Iron Man or whatever:

Bruce Broughton
    Arthur B Rubinstein
    Robert Folk
    Laura Karpman

mc

Now Robert Folk I totally agree with, Tremors and Toy Soldiers are pure examples of great action scores that thrive on brass and rhythm
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Cliff Eidelman and Robert Folk are two names that I'd particularly echo as composers who have shown again and again that they can compose solid scores but they don't seem to have been able to become established in the "top flight".

Other composers that spring to mind are Neal Acree, Alex Heffes, Christopher Lennertz, Michael J. Lewis and Joel McNeely are a few names that initially spring to mind.

I suppose that Acree, Heffes & Lennertz are relatively new composers but McNeely and Lewis have been around a lot longer and really deserve to have some major projects. Does anyone know if Lewis is still composing for film/TV?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I think Michael J. Lewis basically stopped doing films more than ten years ago. During his career he was constantly overlooked by the big studios, for some reason.

Lennertz has done a few scores for major studios, and Heffes is on his way up after Last King of Scotland and his association with Sweeney Todd. McNeely I agree with, what a brilliant composer but why isn't he doing bigger films? I wonder if maybe its a choice of his own - he keeps scoring mostly Disney DVDs but seem to really like working in that format.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The swede Stefan Nilsson is my favorite underrated composer. I'm not sure how he is at action music, but for gorgeous themes he's one of the best. I think there are only 2 CD releases of his music, even though he's a legend who have worked for decades. It seems so bizarre that a man so talented is appreciated so little. I guess that's what you get for being a scandinavian composer.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Bruce Broughton definitely deserves to be mentioned again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Don Davis !

After the Matrix trilogy, he's still doing trash movies like Marine?!

Now life isn't fair, is it?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    No one's mentioned Debbie Wiseman, Jane Antonia Cornish and Mark McKenzie yet? Shame.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Joel McNeely & Ed Shearmur are my two picks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Waah! No one has mentioned John Scott yet! shocked Could there be any greater epitome of underrated-ness?
    There was an excellent interview with Scott on Dan Schweiger's On The Score series a few years back. Anyone here listen to that? What a fine gentleman and a terrific composer!

Bruce Broughton and Eidelman are also others that come to mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Waah! No one has mentioned John Scott yet! shocked Could there be any greater epitome of underrated-ness?
    There was an excellent interview with Scott on Dan Schweiger's On The Score series a few years back. Anyone here listen to that? What a fine gentleman and a terrific composer!

Bruce Broughton and Eidelman are also others that come to mind.

Good call on all three of those!

Criminally side-lined for talents of mediochre abilities who 'somehow, and god knows how' get far more lucrative work!? rolleyes

When asked to jump, most composers these days just reply "how high?"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

Criminally side-lined for talents of mediochre abilities who 'somehow, and god knows how' get far more lucrative work!? rolleyes

When asked to jump, most composers these days just reply "how high?"

http://i9.tinypic.com/6ss24qe.gif wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore

biggrin biggrin biggrin spin dizzy biggrin

Absolutely hilarious and very much hitting the nail right on the head!

beer

mc
  5. Looks like 1995 was when it all happened! Ironically, I think CRIMSON TIDE was a better score from that year than Jerry's output. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Cliff Eidelman and Don Davis are the first who come to my mind as well.Hugely underrated imo.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Looks like 1995 was when it all happened! Ironically, I think CRIMSON TIDE was a better score from that year than Jerry's output. wink

LOL biggrin

I presume you were joking? Right!?....or were you talking about ice cream and missed out Jerry's mate Ben?

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas

You forgot some things: Hans is also responsible for:

- the lack of good themes in Horner's Spiderwick Chronicles
    - synth drone scores by James Newton Howard
    - Nick Hooper's lousy score for Harry Potter 5
    - Alan Silvestri's generic Beowulf
    - Danny Elfman's dull score for The Kingdom
    - another bland score by John Ottman
    - the lack of a new John Williams score
    - Brian Tyler score's in general
    - 234 other disappointing 2007 scores

and also for cancer, war and global warming (just think of all his synthesizers and music technology)!!

rolleyes wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    The swede Stefan Nilsson is my favorite underrated composer. I'm not sure how he is at action music, but for gorgeous themes he's one of the best. I think there are only 2 CD releases of his music, even though he's a legend who have worked for decades. It seems so bizarre that a man so talented is appreciated so little. I guess that's what you get for being a scandinavian composer.

Peter smile

Couldn't agree more! I was fortunate enough to meet Stefan last fall, when both he and I participated in a film music seminar here in Oslo. I had to hold back the "gushing" a bit, since I didn't want to come off as a raving fanboy, but he's really a fantastic composer of melodies. PELLE THE CONQUEROR, SKJÆRGÅRDSDOKTOREN...you name it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, must have been quite an experience, Thor. So do you know of other CD releases than "Filmmusik", "En sang for Martin" & "SÃ¥ som i himmelen"? It seems so strange that such a legendary composer who composes gold on a constant basis is represented so little on the CD market.

For anyone interested in this brilliant composer I found some neat videos on utube.

The amazing main theme from "Pelle the conqueror - There's some dialogue first, the music starts after 37 seconds.
    "Gabriella's song" from "SÃ¥ som i himmelen" - A wonderful ballad. Try it a few times, even if you're not usually into songs.
    "Wilmas tema" from "Skärgårdsdoktorn" - Catchy piano tune, here set to a strange video with some bald guy for some reason. Ignore that doofus and enjoy the music.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Any cd's out there? Stefan Nilsson?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Demetris, the one to start with is his "Filmmusik" release from 1998. I've been able to find 2 reviews(both give 5 stars of course):

http://www.scorereviews.com/reviews/review.aspx?id=280
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=1709

Peter smile
  6. Thomas wrote

You forgot some things: Hans is also responsible for:

- the lack of good themes in Horner's Spiderwick Chronicles
    - synth drone scores by James Newton Howard
    - Nick Hooper's lousy score for Harry Potter 5
    - Alan Silvestri's generic Beowulf
    - Danny Elfman's dull score for The Kingdom
    - another bland score by John Ottman
    - the lack of a new John Williams score
    - Brian Tyler score's in general
    - 234 other disappointing 2007 scores

and also for cancer, war and global warming (just think of all his synthesizers and music technology)!!

rolleyes wink biggrin

ACTUALLY, I do think Zimmer ie responsible for JNH's synth drones. Some of them sound like a MV application form biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website