• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015 edited
    This is basically a playlist thread.

Choose 15 tracks by a particular composer that are their own "full" compositions, in a way. Try not to make them all main or end titles or montages.

Here's my Jerry Goldsmith Setpiece track:

http://celluloidtunes.no/non-website/jerry.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015
    You want lists???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know. I've changed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have no idea what you're asking here? Aren't all film score cues 'musical set pieces'? What counts and doesn't count as a "full" compositions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015 edited
    Is it that complicated? I'm talking about the cues on a soundtrack where everyone says "oh, that's a great cue"; something that puts it apart from everything else. These cues are usually picked out for compilations. See the Goldsmith list in the first post.

For example, when people talk about ALIENS, they usually pick out "Bishop's Countdown" as a setpiece cue representing that score.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Wouldn't that be rather similar to that thread, Timmer did some time ago, about outstanding cues or something?

Sorry, Tim, too lazy right now to look it up.

I remember you always growled about that thread being too chaotic. Is this supposed to be version 2.0?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Is it that complicated? I'm talking about the cues on a soundtrack where everyone says "oh, that's a great cue"; something that puts it apart from everything else. These cues are usually picked out for compilations. See the Goldsmith list in the first post.

Not complicated, just unclear. So essentially the 'best' cue from a score? I feel this is a topic that may have come up before...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Not complicated, just unclear. So essentially the 'best' cue from a score? I feel this is a topic that may have come up before...

Yes, in a way. Of course, 'best' is subjective, but there's a reason why one particular cue is held up and highlighted in any given soundtrack. It feels like its own thing -- a 'setpiece' is the best word I could think of. For stuff like STAR WARS, it becomes tricky, with so many setpiece cues, but with stuff like -- say -- CHICKEN RUN, it's easier to pinpoint "Building the Crate" as the main centerpiece/setpiece/reference cue.

In my mind, this is a topic that is more specific than in previous, similar topics, but it's hard to get that across in words.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015
    I can tell.
  2. biggrin I'm sure some booze would help.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thought process as follows, if I -- say -- go through my iTunes Elfmans (which is organized alphabetically):

ALICE IN WONDERLAND? Ah yes, there's "Alice's Theme".
    ARTICLE 99? Nah, no real setpiece track.
    BATMAN? "Up the Cathedral". "Descent Into Mystery" could also work, but it's a bit short
    BATMAN RETURNS? "Birth of a Penguin II", perhaps.
    BEETLEJUICE? Hmm...nothing much beyond the main title theme.
    BIG EYES? Nah.
    BIG FISH? "Growing Montage", possibly?
    BIG TOP PEE WEE? I would pick "The Big Kiss"
    BLACK BEAUTY? Once again, the main title comes out the strongest.

...and so on. Not all soundtracks have setpiece tracks, but many do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So basically... your favourite tracks? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not only. You'll have to think about what the most widely celebrated track on the album is. If you don't agree with that, then a personal favourite is fine. For example, if you don't think the widely celebrated "The Trees" is the setpiece track of MEDICINE MAN (or you don't like it), and think a different track is a better example, then choose that instead.

I think you're just having fun with me, making it more difficult than it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I'm extremely serious.

Basically you want a greatest hits compilation of composers. Why didn't you say!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You could say that, yes. But try to avoid main titles, if possible (not always possible, I know). It's not necessarily the main theme I'm after. "Raisuli Attacks" from THE WIND AND THE LION is not the main theme from the film, but it's by far the 'setpiece' track of the album. 'Greatest Hits', to me, implies the main themes, but it's up to interpretation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2021
    It's mindboggling that so many people had trouble understanding what I meant with "setpiece track" back in 2015. I occasionally like to compile lists of standout tracks from albums that are their own small compositions, in a way.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. If it makes you feel any better, I think I know what you mean. Tracks like "You Have the Power" from Trevor Jones' Dark City or "The Hand of Fate" from JNH's Signs that have an entire dramatic architecture unto themselves as well as fitting into the larger context of their scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    YES! smile
    I am extremely serious.