• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Tom starts a new series of writings: biography + review!

First, a closer look on Victor Young
    http://www.goldenscores.com/?a=composer … &m=bio

And a review of The Tall Men
    http://www.goldenscores.com/?a=reviews&id=82
    Kazoo
  1. ahhh, its great to see reviews biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. After having listened to For Whom The Bell Tolls I was looking around for additional titles from Young and I came across one I'd never heard of; Omar Khayyam.

Tom, have you come across this? It's quite a nice score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    After having listened to For Whom The Bell Tolls I was looking around for additional titles from Young and I came across one I'd never heard of; Omar Khayyam.

Tom, have you come across this? It's quite a nice score.

I have the Tickertape TT3007 but again this might be another release for the future.

The Marco Polo 8.225063 is probably a very easy one to obtain from Naxos. This would serve as a nice introduction to his music.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very worthwhile!
    A fine, lyrical, intelligent score. I enjoy it a lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Thanks for the recommendations. Looking at the Tickertape track listing the Omar Khayyam cues are the same ones that I have already downloaded. And I really enjoyed them!

I've listened to clips from some of the titles on the Marco Polo release but, so far, nothing really grabs my attention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Uninvited is where the song Stella By Starlight came from for those unfamiliar. The movie as well as the score is quite a sleeper.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012
    RUN OF THE ARROW / THE BRAVE ONE
    original soundtracks by Victor Young
    CD DCM 136 • UPC : 771028 236 619
    Street date : May 1, 2012

One can only imagine what heights could have been reached by so prolific and gifted a composer as Victor Young (1900-1956), if he hadn’t died prematurely just as the Cinema was undertaking a new technical boom to face the challenge of television. This classically trained violinist, author of numerous popular songs, knew how to make the most of a symphonic orchestra for the big screen.

A pioneer in this field since the silent era, composer of over 300 movie scores, Victor Young wouldn’t have the opportunity to work on numerous milestone Hollywood productions. Among his best known scores, we can mention For Whom the Bell Tolls with Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman, Cecil B. DeMille’s Samson and Delilah, John Ford’s Rio Grande and The Quiet Man, George Stevens’ classic western Shane, as well as the comedy adventure Around the World in 80 Days, which brought him—posthumously—his only Academy Award.

Although less known, the music from Run of the Arrow and The Brave One, gathered here, appear to be as impressive. They rank among the very last scores written by the composer. Still, we had to wait decades to see the first one finally released on CD, and the latter reissued with the benefits of improvements in digital technology.

If the rather modest but honest Run of the Arrow by Samuel Fuller can still entertain the audience in these days, it is largely thanks to the inspired and energetic music by Victor Young. As for the equally sweeping score for The Brave One, performed by the 110-piece Munich Symphony Orchestra, it echoes the masterpieces of the international classical repertoire.

As presented on the LP albums released at the time, these original soundtracks have the merit of not beating to death their main theme and offer a large instrumental palette. This balanced approach alternates between orchestral outbursts and periods of quiet respite, which are sometimes tinged with sentimentalism. In both cases, the music is more evocative than descriptive, resulting in a very satisfying, uninterrupted listening experience.

73:29 - 26 tracks • 12-page full color booklet

Disques Cinémusique
    www.disquescinemusique.com
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012
    I wish that company would send me review copies as this one is right up my alley.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    Have you tried dropping them a mail, Tom?
    I have had some conversations with them over the years, and I found them really nice and helpful!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS / GOLDEN EARRINGS / OMAR KHAYYAM
    Music composed and conducted by Victor Young
    DCM 139 • UPC: 771028236954
    Available on August 15, 2012

This is an official CD premiere for the first two vintage original soundtracks by Victor Young (1900-1956) gathered here, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Golden Earrings, while Omar Khayyam benefits from an improved sound quality over the Tickertape CD released many years ago. All three recordings were restored from the best vinyl sources available.

For Whom the Bell Tolls, with Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman, takes place during the Spanish Civil War, on the eve of the Second World War. The numerous musical influences that show up in the score form a colorful mosaic. Golden Earrings, starring Ray Milland and Marlene Dietrich, is set in Germany and concentrates on the Gypsy people at the time of the Nazis. Finally, Omar Khayyam, a romanticized biography of the Persian poet and mathematician, relies mainly on Arabic music of the Middle Ages.

In addition to the exotic context, the common characteristic of this program is the predominance of strings and especially of the violin, Victor Young’s favorite instrument (and one he trained on from an early age). Here the violinist most often holds the melody and carries the emotion as well, like a projection of the composer’s spirit.

These scores, set in different places and time periods, produced within a space of fifteen years, still bear the unmistakable signature of Victor Young ; the foreign influences being blended and integrated in the crucible of his genius. 12-page color booklet.

www.disquescinemusique.com
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Golden earring...that.s a dutch prog band i used to listen to in my youth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good man. cool
  4. Relative of the late composer posted this funny story at FSM:

Bobbie Fromberg:

I am so proud to know how much people love my Uncle's music even after 56 years. Funny that you should also be a fan of Max Steiner. He was such a lovely man. He played cards in my parent's house on the weekends along with my Uncle, my Dad and composer Dimitri Tiompkin. Max was legally blind and could only see three things.....women, music and cards. His card buddies played terrible tricks on him like having my Mom serve him dog biscuits with his coffee during a break. He thought they were such delicious 'cookies', he asked his driver to find out where my Mom bought them.

My life has been spent keeping the name and the music of Victor Young alive. I hope there will be many more CDs of his scores. He certainly had enough movies to glean from.
    Bobbie
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/s … tor-young/

Greatest western score ever?
    Tom
  5. Nice review Tom. I am hoping to pick this one up when finances allow. I have the Koch CD (?) that features a tribute to the composer and has a suite from this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    I also have the Kaufmann/New Zealand suite but this is a lot more complete. It is an archival recording in mono but if you enjoyed the movie you'll love it Alan.
    Tom
  6. Being in mono doesn't worry me in the slightest. I'll keep this on my wish list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/s … mandyoung/

Review of Strategic Air Command composed by Victor Young
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/v … paramount/

Victor at Paramount a new release from Kritzerland