• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015
    So a few months back, I got my dad's old iPhone 4. It's been working fine, but the last couple of weeks, the SMS alert sound has mysteriously disappeared. All settings are correct, and I've been unable to find any relevant information by googling. Has anyone else experienced this (either with 4 or later models)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015
    Hey Thor. It is always useful to specify your OS version too. You can find that out from the Settings app -> General -> About.

The following assumes you are using iOS 7 and that phone's ringtone plays just fine when you receive calls. I assume the options on older versions aren't too different so give it a try either way.

1. Open the Settings app and navigate to Notifications.

2. In Notification View, choose Sort By Time.

3. On the same page, scroll down and navigate to Include section, and choose/open Messages.

4. Be sure Allow Notifications is turned on and Notification Sound actually has some sound file selected for it. It should have a file name written next to it.

5. Move back to the root of Settings app. This time choose Sounds

6. Adjust the Ringer and Alerts bar so that you can perfectly hear the ringtone/notifications.

7. Turn off Change with Buttons.

8. Scroll down to Sounds and Vibration Patterns and make sure a sound file is in use for Text Tone.

Let me know if this helps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks a lot, Blu. The only thing I didn't already have from those things was 'change with buttons'. I turned it off, as you said. Let's see what happens.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Thor wrote
    Thanks a lot, Blu. The only thing I didn't already have from those things was 'change with buttons'. I turned it off, as you said. Let's see what happens.

I'm not expecting that particular option alone to solve this. Disabling that only helps to make sure user won't accidentally mute all notification sounds.

Check this areas too:

1. Navigate to Settings -> Do Not Disturb.
    - Make sure this feature is not set to manual. If it is on/enabled, you should see a crescent moon looking icon next to your battery bar on the top right corner of the screen.

2. Navigate to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages.
    - Make sure Badge App Icon is turned on
    - Check that Alert Style When Unlocked is set to Banners (the middle option), not Alerts (the right hand side option)
    - Change the number in Show in Notification Center to 5 or 10 items.

3. If none of the above worked close the Messages app (press the Home button twice and flick upwards on the Messages app). Then reset the phone (hold down the power and home buttons simultaneously until the screen goes off)