• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So I was asked whether I would create a single discussion for my TOP THREE challenge to make it easier to find all composers who are a part of this. After long consideration, I decided against doing one single topic for voting. It would have become too confusing to read, let alone to manage the updates. And I still think the composer discussions are the best place to do this thing.

But that doesn´t mean there is nothing that could be done. From now on, I will put a direct link to each and every composer who´s part of this into this topic with links and stuff.

Let me know whether that´s good enough for you or if I should think about something better...

So, here it comes...

These are the composers who are a part of my TOP THREE challenge:

David Arnold: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … id-arnold/
    John Barry: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ohn-barry/
    Patrick Doyle: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ick-doyle/
    Jerry Goldsmith: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … goldsmith/
    James Horner: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es-horner/
    James Newton Howard: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … on-howard/
    Trevor Jones: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … vor-jones/
    John Williams: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … -williams/
    Hans Zimmer: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ns-zimmer/

And here is the BEST OF THE BEST overview: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … -the-best/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Hey Ralph, you can directly link to your top 10 post by clicking the icon next to the PM icon, it lookslike a chain. When you click on it, it points directly to the post. smile
    Kazoo
  2. Sorry, I don´t understand what you mean and how it works. I´m not the brightest when it comes to computech...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Hehe, no problem, I' not very good in explaining. wink

Well, each post has a set of icons on the right top, to PM, Edit or Quote. The 4th one, left from the PM icon, is a direct link/pointer to that post. It's the URL for that post. So, if you want to directly link to the post in which you keep the statistics for the top 3,, you can click on that icon (it's like a chain) and copy the URL in the post above instead of justlinking to the forum topic.

smile
    Kazoo
  3. I see. It´s just that I constantly update the list and use the updates to see which votes came in after the last update, and I would have to relink the pointer here every time I did an update, which would be some more work. But not too much, I guess. I´ll try it then, but now now, we´re en route to see National Treasure 2... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    So I was asked whether I would create a single discussion for my TOP THREE challenge to make it easier to find all composers who are a part of this. After long consideration, I decided against doing one single topic for voting. It would have become too confusing to read, let alone to manage the updates. And I still think the composer discussions are the best place to do this thing.

See... I disagree. All this voting in ALL the composer threads has turned those thread into a sloppy mess. Any news items are skipped because people are continuously posting their votes. I was going to mention that we create one thread for all the votes and I'm glad someone else came up with it. The simple solution would be for you to ask for everyones top 3 from from a selected list of composers and have them either post them hear or to PM you. OR, you could run a single composer vote every week. This would stop everyone from clogging up the composer thread with Top 3 lists. No one is ever going to want to read through those thread ever again because of the pages and pages of votes. Those thread should be open for composer discussion not silly Top 3 lists.

My two cents.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    So I was asked whether I would create a single discussion for my TOP THREE challenge to make it easier to find all composers who are a part of this. After long consideration, I decided against doing one single topic for voting. It would have become too confusing to read, let alone to manage the updates. And I still think the composer discussions are the best place to do this thing.

See... I disagree. All this voting in ALL the composer threads has turned those thread into a sloppy mess. Any news items are skipped because people are continuously posting their votes. I was going to mention that we create one thread for all the votes and I'm glad someone else came up with it. The simple solution would be for you to ask for everyones top 3 from from a selected list of composers and have them either post them hear or to PM you. OR, you could run a single composer vote every week. This would stop everyone from clogging up the composer thread with Top 3 lists. No one is ever going to want to read through those thread ever again because of the pages and pages of votes. Those thread should be open for composer discussion not silly Top 3 lists.

My two cents.

-Erik-

On the other hand, those lists can be easily skipped when you skim through the thread for more interesting bits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

My two cents.

-Erik-

On the other hand, those lists can be easily skipped when you skim through the thread for more interesting bits.

I'm surprised you'd say such a thing Mr. Anal FSM Thread guy! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Those thread should be open for composer discussion not silly Top 3 lists.

Well, thank you very much then for voting on those silly lists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Those thread should be open for composer discussion not silly Top 3 lists.

Well, thank you very much then for voting on those silly lists.

Even though I participate I still think they are silly. Silly fun that is!

-Erik-
  5. I absolutely get and understand your point, Erik. You just could have said it a bit more friendly, that´s all.

I just thought those lists could sparkle new life in composer discussions, people commenting on certain exotic votes, watching how a new score might affect the lists, and so on. But I understand what you mean and would really much like to hear from other people what they think.

I am willing to do this in a different way, making a single thread out of this all and leave composer threads alone. Or not, depending on public opinion.

What do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think your top3 projects are great fun Ralph, and they spark some discussion sometimes too. Composer threads are already messy in the first place anyway, so I don't think top3s makes much of a difference in messiness. If we're only allowed to post serious news items in threads I think this would quickly become a very boring board. Keep up the good work.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Messy? Well Bregt has gone all the way into including the awesome feature that is "search by comment" and which can get you exactly wherever you want to go so why messy? Maybe you haven't tried that out yet but...as for the top 3 lists, keep 'em coming, they're damn fun!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Messy? Well Bregt has gone all the way into including the awesome feature that is "search by comment" and which can get you exactly wherever you want to go so why messy? Maybe you haven't tried that out yet but...as for the top 3 lists, keep 'em coming, they're damn fun!

Yes, Demetris, I've used the search function. I just don't like the way the Top 3 lists are clog up the composer threads. But this isn't my board so why should I give a shit. Plus, I've been in a million Top 3, Top 10, Top 100 debates in the past decade or so and I'm rather bored by it. But then again, that just me. It's the same old shit. I'll continue to add my list for the vote but I could care less about the same old discussion. Sorry if this comes off a bit mean and nasty but it's the way I feel at the moment.

Anyway, there is no need to continue with this debate. I'm alone in all of this and that's fine. I said my peace and I stand by it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Actually i was replying to Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    And I was replying to Erik's "Mess" comment, so you were in essence replying to Erik as well.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hmmm. I agree mostly with Erik about the fact that it gets sloppy (I had exams last week and didn't check much threads but I see now several pages of these), not about the silly facotr, that's just allright wth me. It's not a problem with the search engine, but then, it's not easier to find the right search string.

I suggest we take action and continue with top 3 lists here in this topic. Perhaps one composer per 5 days or so? Then Ralph can finalize the list by the end of the period, and for example, post them in the topic about the composer, or at the top of this thread. Result is that when you search for top3 lists and a certain composer and te whole debate, the results will be easier to find because it'll be centralised.

If that's allright with others too ofcourse. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    And I was replying to Erik's "Mess" comment, so you were in essence replying to Erik as well.

Peter wink

Ah, i didn't read that smile

Yeap, keep 'em in there, it's better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter wink

Ah, i didn't read that smile

Yeap, keep 'em in there, it's better.

It's a mess. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pfffff, i am SO f*cked up today, in my head!

I meant keep the top-3 lists in here, it's better!

shame shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pfffff, i am SO f*cked up today, in my head!

I meant keep the top-3 lists in here, it's better!

shame shame

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm surprised you'd say such a thing Mr. Anal FSM Thread guy! wink

-Erik-

He, he...yeah, but you know, one of the things I like about this place is that we mostly keep discussions about one topic (at least one composer) to one massive thread. Nice and tidy. So the top 3 lists are still on-topic and suitable for that. On the other hand, like you I'm not that into lists and favourite this and that, so it doesn't add that much to the discourse either.

In any case, I don't really care wherever they are. I'll gladly leave SOME of my "anal-retentivess" over at FSM. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. To Bregt or anyone able to do so, please delete this topic or let it sink. I created a new topic. No reason to keep this discussion.