• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

Anyone heard this / has seen the film, and can comment? I like a lot of Burwell, but there's enough I don't like that he's not a "blind purchase" for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    CARTER BURWELL - A Serious Man [SOUNDTRACK]

Product Details

* Audio CD (November 10, 2009)
    * Original Release Date: November 3, 2009
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Format: Soundtrack
    * Label: Lakeshore Records

cd cover
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

A Serious Man is a feature film written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. It was released on October 2, 2009 in the United States. A black comedy set in 1967 and centered on Larry Gopnik, a Midwestern professor who watches his life unravel when his wife prepares to leave him because his inept brother won't move out of the house

I had no idea this film was even coming!

Two Coen films in a row to receive substantial Burwell scores... how times change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    Where the Wild Things Are (For Your Consideration)

Listen to the score:
    http://warnerbros2009.warnerbros.com/#/ … ore/score1
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    Where the Wild Things Are (For Your Consideration)

Listen to the score:
    http://warnerbros2009.warnerbros.com/#/ … ore/score1

why not review it? It's time you do something around here tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    HOWL (2010)

SOUND CLIPS / CD COVER / INFO

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/

movie info
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049402/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    HOWL

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … 4394/HOWL/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    I saw an advanced screening of True Grit. There was a nice piano theme that is used throughout and is further developed by the rest of the orchestra at various times. It does sound like a Western. Overall I think it will make for an enjoyable score on CD. Especially if you like piano music and Western music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    The TRUE GRIT soundclips on Amazon sound surprisingly lush, warm and traditional, unlike what I was expecting yet very interesting.

Panthera, does the film itself live up to the expectations? (and those are high, with the studio obviously positioning it as one of the Oscar contenders).
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if it gets some Oscar nominations. The performances are excellent. Jeff Bridges is a little hard to understand because he is always talking like an old drunk man, but there is no denying his excellent performance.

The pace reminded me somewhat of the pace of No Country For Old Men. I found both of them kind of slow paced. But this film isn't nearly as dark or violent.

It feels like a Coen Brother film, so if you like Coen Brother films I am sure you will like it. I enjoyed it. A lot of their sense of humor makes its way into the film. The audience laughed a lot during the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Excellent ! Can't tell you how much i look forward to this
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    Panthera wrote
    I wouldn't be surprised if it gets some Oscar nominations. The performances are excellent. Jeff Bridges is a little hard to understand because he is always talking like an old drunk man, but there is no denying his excellent performance.

The pace reminded me somewhat of the pace of No Country For Old Men. I found both of them kind of slow paced. But this film isn't nearly as dark or violent.

It feels like a Coen Brother film, so if you like Coen Brother films I am sure you will like it. I enjoyed it. A lot of their sense of humor makes its way into the film. The audience laughed a lot during the movie.

I look forward to seeing it though more than likely it'll be on DVD. I love almost all the Coen brothers films, the only big mis-fire was The Lady Killers, the original is such a classic that this poorly judged remake was on a hiding to nothing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    ...the original is such a classic that this poorly judged remake was on a hiding to nothing.

Isn't there a chance that the same may happen with True Grit?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I never saw the original so I can't comment on that. But the remake is good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...the original is such a classic that this poorly judged remake was on a hiding to nothing.

Isn't there a chance that the same may happen with True Grit?

I think something like True Grit ( only an 'okay' film IMO ) lends itself to a remake far easier than a classic black comedy with an unbeatable cast.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    Agreed! The point of remaking a perfect (or near-perfect) film eludes me. But True Grit (which is really more like making a different adaptation of the source material than remaking the film, in any case) doesn't really fall into that category, at least for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    You can listen to the full score here
    http://www.paramountguilds.com/#/true-grit/score
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    Thanks Bregt, it seems that this score and (naturally) movie draw a lot of attention.
  3. Sweet! Thanks for the link. I love these "For Your Consideration Sites." I've only heard one score on there already, so it will be informative to listen to the rest. Listening to True Grit right now. I'm happy to hear the very westerny sound that Burwell wrote for this score. I think he's a very talented composer, though I'm not often grabbed by what he writes. There have been a few tracks on this score that have moved me, though - "Father's Gun," "River Crossing," and "LaBoeuf Takes Leave." Very nice stuff. There are a lot of short tracks on here, too, though, most of them not doing much at all.
  4. Carter Burwell returns to score final 'Twilight' films.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … ght-films/
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    I wonder if he will go back to his themes or just start over with new ideas.
  5. At least they aren't going to waste another great composer with that "saga" (I admit that I liked Shore's Eclipse)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see they're following the Harry Pooter trend with the "part 1" and "part 2" for finales?
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    I see they're following the Harry Pooter trend with the "part 1" and "part 2" for finales?

According to the people who has read the Twilight books (the sane people, not horny teenagers), it's all for the money, not because the last book needs a two-part adaptation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sane people read twilight too? wink
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Sane people read twilight too? wink

biggrin

Yeah. Sane people which has Twilight as a guilty pleasure.
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

According to the people who has read the Twilight books (the sane people, not horny teenagers), it's all for the money, not because the last book needs a two-part adaptation.

According to this (arguably) sane person that's the only reason they did it with Potter. If you can make the fourth potter book in a single film, you can certainly do it with the seventh.
  9. christopher wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

According to this (arguably) sane person that's the only reason they did it with Potter. If you can make the fourth potter book in a single film, you can certainly do it with the seventh.

It's not the same thing the fourth film than the seventh one. It's not like the other books where you can cut subplots and stuff like that, everything is important, especially because of the things that they didn't explained in the other films.

Also, the Part 1 felt rushed enough being a 2 and half hour film (there's like 15, 20 minutes of deleted scenes, according to David Yates). And it was almost 3/4 of the book, a little bit more than Prisoner of Azkaban's book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    If Anna Karenina can be made as one film (as it has been several times!) then I'm sure Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows could have been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    It's all commercial reasons behind this people and it's completely evident and logical; don't buy their crap excuses people smile It'd be so much nicer if they just admitted why they did it in the first place.