• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited
    La-di-dah-didah.

Probably correct about Twilight.

Potter? No. Best thing about the whole series, to split Part 7 in two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    And you know that how? You've seen the 2nd part? Or indeed a movie that contained both parts in one?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's face it, any film based on a full-length novel has to cut stuff out. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is over 500 pages long, and they are incredibly densely-packed pages. But I'm sure David Fincher's film won't need to be split into two, nor will it be ten hours long.

If splitting Harry Potter into two films allows for a better overall experience then fine, but I would never pay to see half a film at the cinema and don't think it's fair to ask people to do that.
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    La-di-dah-didah.

Probably correct about Twilight.

Potter? No. Best thing about the whole series, to split Part 7 in two.

smile

Christodoulides wrote
    And you know that how? You've seen the 2nd part? Or indeed a movie that contained both parts in one?

It's because they're saving the best from the end. Also, the Part 2 is going to have all the explanations of the saga. If they would done a single movie from the book, it would be so rushed and short that it couldn't had the same impact as in the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well there are a lot of excuses but i really think it's naive (to say the least) to actually believe that a franchise with over 6-7 movies and which has made a shitload of money, is adding another extra part to an already large number of hits, to make anything else than pure money. It's the nature of the business and it's business above all. Don't be fooled by marketing strategy. Nothing bad about it and if you ask me it's completely logical, i'd do the same if i were them and i could make even more of a profit, but let's not hide behind our fingers either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well there are a lot of excuses but i really think it's naive (to say the least) to actually believe that a franchise with over 6-7 movies and which has made a shitload of money, is adding another extra part to an already large number of hits, to make anything else than pure money. It's the nature of the business and it's business above all. Don't be fooled by marketing strategy. Nothing bad about it and if you ask me it's completely logical, i'd do the same if i were them and i could make even more of a profit, but let's not hide behind our fingers either.

Nonsense lad! You and I both know they're doing it for fans of the books wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The fans of the book actually think that. wink
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Of course, there's the financial reason. But, I think that they're trying to said goodbye to the saga, with such a special way. For me, it was the right call and I'm happy with Part 1, and I can't wait until Part 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Lord of the Rings should have been compressed into one two hour movie! The decision to expand it was all about the profit!

just kidding
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    Lord of the Rings should have been compressed into one two hour movie! The decision to expand it was all about the profit!

just kidding

biggrin

Actually, Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings as a one book, but the editors made him to split the book in three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think it was like, he started out writing it as one book, but realized it was getting ridiculously long and collectively everyone decided he should publish what he had written thus far and save the rest for books 2 and 3. There's a series of books written by his son Christopher, a series that's actually as long as the trilogy itself, about the story of how the novels came together. It's quite fascinating.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yonythemoony wrote
    Scribe wrote

just kidding

biggrin

Actually, Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings as a one book, but the editors made him to split the book in three.

I would say that's very good marketing, a lot of people are put off by books the size of tombstones.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    And others are turned on... lick
  4. They're going to do The Hobbit as two films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    And others are turned on... lick

I agree! I love massive books, as long as they capture me and are totally engrossing but I do know some people who are put off by books longer than 400-500 pages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tl:dr
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    yawhat?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote

Peter Jackson would have made five minutes of film and 115 minutes of ending.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's all commercial reasons behind this people and it's completely evident and logical; don't buy their crap excuses people smile It'd be so much nicer if they just admitted why they did it in the first place.

I'd say it's both commercial and story-wise. Coming from someone who's read the Harry Potter series, the final book (and film) wraps up a lot of loose threads. Quite a few of those were omitted from the previous films and had to be shoehorned in after the final book came out.

You can make a single film out of Deathly Hallows, it would probably be around 3 1/2 hours. Even then, it'd probably feel rushed. The seventh film (aka Part 1) gives the story and characters room to breathe, something that hasn't happened consistently since the fourth film. And a lot of the die-hard fans were screaming for two-film splits ever since Goblet of Fire came out, and WB granted them their wish for the final book.

Having not read the Twilight series, I can't say the same thing about Breaking Dawn. I tried reading the first book, just to see what the fuss was about, and ended up putting it down a few pages in. Just terrible.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  5. Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's all commercial reasons behind this people and it's completely evident and logical; don't buy their crap excuses people smile It'd be so much nicer if they just admitted why they did it in the first place.

I'd say it's both commercial and story-wise. Coming from someone who's read the Harry Potter series, the final book (and film) wraps up a lot of loose threads. Quite a few of those were omitted from the previous films and had to be shoehorned in after the final book came out.

You can make a single film out of Deathly Hallows, it would probably be around 3 1/2 hours. Even then, it'd probably feel rushed. The seventh film (aka Part 1) gives the story and characters room to breathe, something that hasn't happened consistently since the fourth film. And a lot of the die-hard fans were screaming for two-film splits ever since Goblet of Fire came out, and WB granted them their wish for the final book.

Having not read the Twilight series, I can't say the same thing about Breaking Dawn. I tried reading the first book, just to see what the fuss was about, and ended up putting it down a few pages in. Just terrible.

I agree. About Breaking Dawn, I read the plot in a Eclipse movie review, and I laughed a lot.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    By this point, I think it is pretty clear who is going to buy the tickets to a Harry Potter film and who is going to skip it.

The people who buy the tickets want an extra film. Ya, it is for money. But it is also what the fans of the series want.

So it is a win-win situation.

The people complaining about it are mostly people who don't like the series to begin with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited
    There's no way to actually NOT laugh with Twilight, unless you have boobs, a sensitive emo-ish soul and you're under 15. wink

As for the Potter series, i have no problems with it personally; i am not a fan at all and have watched just the 1st film, but it's fine with me, it doesn't bother me and i don't deal with it.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    There's no way to actually NOT laugh with Twilight, unless you have boobs, a sensitive emo-ish soul and you're under 15. wink

As for the Potter series, i have no problems with it personally; i am not a fan at all and have watched just the 1st film, but it's fine with me, it doesn't bother me and i don't deal with it.

smile Also, that vampire when he sparkle looks ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote

The second film is a laugh riot, up there with Attack of the Clones with having the most unintentional laughs for a movie about dopey romance. (But Desplat's score helped make it enjoyable.) The first one is just... astonishingly bad. I blame Catherine Hardwicke for that, since Red Riding Hood looks just like a period sequel to Twilight.

The third one wasn't bad, though. I give Slade credit for making it semi-enjoyable, and getting Robert Pattinson to emote more than just two expressions. I honestly have no clue what Bill Condon is bringing to the table, but with him directing we could get a decent Twilight score from Burwell at last.
  7. The rumors are that Harry Gregson-Williams is scoring it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    The rumors are that Harry Gregson-Williams is scoring it.

Yeah. There was also a rumor of both John Powell and Gregson-Williams scoring it.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The rumors are that Harry Gregson-Williams is scoring it.

Well, Film Music Reporter is pretty reliable. So expect Burwell to finish out the series, as opposed to two other composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, pretty reliable film music reporter is.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Plus Harry Gregson Williams turned that rumor down in a recent interview.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Rumours, rumours, rumours, don't ya just love rumoUrs.