• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Synchrotones reviews The Wind Gods... a very beautiful score.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  2. My review of CAPTAIN MARVEL, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2019/03/12/capt … ar-toprak/

Jon
  3. I haven't seen the movie or heard the score yet, but I'm very excited for what such a big film will do for Toprak and female film composers moving forward. I thought you wrote a great review Jon and I very much enjoyed it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2019
    Jon Broxton wrote:
    Toprak’s score stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best music written for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date.

Right...
  4. Steven wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote:
    Toprak’s score stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best music written for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date.

Right...

I think that it is just as good as some of the best. With the best of them being maybe 6/10 rated scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019
    Steven wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote:

Right...

Yeah, I agree with Jon.
    This score has a lot going on. Yes it has its generic modern scoring aspects throughout but there's a richness to the orchestration and thematic material that sets it right up near the top end of the Marvel universe scores. When I saw the film yesterday my appreciation of this score grew enormously.
    I'm not really a fan of the film. It was okay. But Toprak's score was a positive experience in my view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019 edited
    yeah

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that it is just as good as some of the best. With the best of them being maybe 6/10 rated scores.

Come on? Really?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote:

Right...

There are several Marvel scores that I would rate a lot higher than 6. I do rate Captain Marvel as a 6, because it's mostly generic. It has one stellar moment though with "I'm All Fired Up". Why could the entire score not have sounded this way?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

FalkirkBairn wrote

Come on? Really?

-Erik-

Afraid so. I just don't enjoy the style of all these scores - it all sounds so manic, the music trying to follow the over-the-top action (I have yet to see one of these films that I like). I am sure they are all technically very accomplished but I am rarely able to sit through them in one sitting.

So, I am just bewildered by how anyone can gush plaudits on anything like these. But, since they do get garnered with so many glowing sentences in reviews, I just shrug my shoulders and move on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So, I am just bewildered by how anyone can gush plaudits on anything like these.

You're surprised that people like fun action scores?
  7. Yeah, right, obviously that's what I meant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2019 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    It has one stellar moment though with "I'm All Fired Up". Why could the entire score not have sounded this way?

Why would you want the entire score to sound like a massive finale? Would enormous battle music have sounded appropriate during the 'quietly sneaking around in the underground facility' scenes? The emotional reunion of the Skrulls? The friendship scene between Carol and her old friend?

The reason "I'm All Fired Up" sounds so massive is because it underscores the moment where she finally acquires full use of all her powers. The score needs to build up to that moment, and then unleash fully at the same time as she does. If everything was all loud and all heroic all the time, it diminishes the impact of the moment that NEEDS the most heroic music. That's dramatic film scoring 101. Nuance, subtlety, narrative development, dramatic arc.
  8. Jon Broxton wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    It has one stellar moment though with "I'm All Fired Up". Why could the entire score not have sounded this way?

Why would you want the entire score to sound like a massive finale? Would enormous battle music have sounded appropriate during the 'quietly sneaking around in the underground facility' scenes? The emotional reunion of the Skrulls? The friendship scene between Carol and her old friend?

The reason "I'm All Fired Up" sounds so massive is because it underscores the moment where she finally acquires full use of all her powers. The score needs to build up to that moment, and then unleash fully at the same time as she does. If everything was all loud and all heroic all the time, it diminishes the impact of the moment that NEEDS the most heroic music. That's dramatic film scoring 101. Nuance, subtlety, narrative development, dramatic arc.

I think you misunderstood me Jon. I never want a score to be just all action and nothing else (Hell I need build up, development, time to pause). I wanted the score so sound more like "I'm All Fired Up". That kind of power, that kind of quality. That scene in 3 minutes pleased me so much that I wished the score to be that great overall. That scene had personality and power, development and a great melody. The action before and after it lacked that personality in my book. There was a lot going on in those action tracks, but it just flew by. We grew up in a time when directors and composers had the ability to give personality and power to the film / score. I felt that (apart from several moments) this score lacked personality, but was just one of the many "same old" action / adventure scores that came before it. In Black Panther the music stood out because it sounded differently and dared to do it creatively, this was just one of the many Marvel's out there. The same formula. Just like the films.

Perhaps when I watch the film I will feel differently about the music, but judging it apart from the source for now it didn't wow me at all.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Personally I found the following "More Problems" track much more impactful than "I'm All Fired Up".
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019
    For who is interested in my thoughts. Here is my version of CAPTAIN MARVEL.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/03/cap … ar-toprak/