• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    Kantelinen's a very special human being and a very gifted composer. Having written truly singular orchestral scores for THE YEAR OF THE WOLF, MOTHER OF MINE, LUPAUS (THE PROMISE), AMBUSH and MINDHUNTERS among others, now returns with more and more interesting stuff! Check out the latest update at his website:

Sergei Bodrov's Genghis Khan epic Mongol made it to the shortlist of the five Oscar nominees for Best Foreign Language Picture! Listen to some of Tuomas' orchestral cues here and a few more cues here !

Check out the trailer at distributor Picturehouse's website . A soundtrack is in the works, too!

----

Also, check out a sneak pre-listen here. of the Arn The Knight Templar music here!

www.kantelinen.net
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Some of those ethnic vocals used in Mongol are quite unusual. Thanks for the links, Demetris.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    I don't have anything by him. If you had to recommend only one of his scores what will it be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    I can only recommend the score to Arn The Knight Templar. I got my copy from a friend from Sweden last months and it's knockout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dom wrote
    I can only recommend the score to Arn The Knight Templar. I got my copy from a friend from Sweden last months and it's knockout.

Are there any oud and violin brief passages in it that sound middle-eastern? I don't know if they made it on CD but Tuomas assured me they're used in the film...i got that in there, 2 very close friends of mine, musicologists and damn fine musicians from Cyprus, i hooked them together with Tuomas for a recording session that took place in Cyprus 2-3 months ago and i can't wait to hear the final results!

As for recommendations, i cannot recommend these enough:

MONGOL

YEAR OF THE WOLF

http://www.johnpowellcomposer.com/disco … htm#Jumper

MOTHER OF MINE
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/tuomas

THE PROMISE

http://cdbaby.com/cd/tuomas2

AMBUSH
    http://www.21miracles.com/Ambush_Adagio.mp3

Listen to way more at:
    http://www.kantelinen.net/music.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are there any oud and violin brief passages in it that sound middle-eastern?l

Yeah they can be heard right at the beginning of the CD. Is one of these guys Pavlos Hoplaros? That's the guy who is listed as oud and violin player.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeah!

Can you send me that cue please? and a scan of the credits?! angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also, is there a "Stavros Hoplaros" in it as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Also, is there a "Stavros Hoplaros" in it as well?

Yes he his biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet!!!! Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    BTW, check your e-mails wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks man, you're the best! kiss
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    Looks like Quest for a Heart is available:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/tuomas4
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Even though Kantelinen is Finnish, he isn't very well known here in Finland. Last evening when I was watching the news I was very surprised to see a headline: "Composer Kantelinen's surprising coupling". In the end of the news there were a short interview, where he discussed a little about his score for the Oscar-nominated movie Mongol. You can see the news here (stuff about Kantelinen at 0:31-0:37 and 9:08-11:19):
    http://areena.yle.fi/toista?id=1110043
    Because most of you don't understand Finnish, I can translate a bit what he said. He first told how he got involved to the movie Mongol. Sergei Bodrov (the director of the movie) had listened his scores for the films Äideistä parhain (Mother of mine) and Lupaus (The Promise) and he had contacted Kantelinen. Kantelinen thinks that the historical subject of the movie affected the Academy's decision for choosing this film to be nominated. He hopes that Finland would also get nominations in the best foreign film category, because it would make good advertisement for Finland and Finnish films. He also talks about the other events in Los Angeles besides the Oscar-show such as press conferences and he points out that Oscars are for film not for the costumes. He guesses that Mongol will win the Oscar or be at least in the second place.

And then something about my own Kantelinen collection, which only has one CD: Rukajärven tie (The Ambush). His scores are quite hard to find even here in Finland and I found this CD in a second hand store last time I visited Helsinki. Rukajärven tie is quite beautiful score with a great theme. There is also one action track Taistelu/Battle, which doesn't appear in the final film. The sound quality isn't the greatest and the dialogue by Irina Björklund and Peter Franzén in the first track is quite irritating. The best cues on this CD are Matkalla/On The Road, Teema/Theme and Taistelu/Battle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Thanks!!!!!!! I am at the airport right now but will check that asap when i get home, i am REALLY interested in Kantelinen's music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Btw THE AMBUSH contains my all-time favorite Kantelinen piece, the "adagio" and its version with the spoken dialogue ontop that opens that album. Gorgeous stuff indeed.
  2. MONGOL
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Tuomas Kantelinen

Genghis Khan is one of the most famous leaders in world history. He was the creator of a vast Mongolian Empire who conquered half of the globe.

Award-winning Russian filmmaker Sergei Bodrov (Prisoner Of The Mountains) illuminates the life and legend of Genghis Khan in his stunning historical epic, MONGOL. Based on leading scholarly accounts and written by Bodrov and Arif Aliyev, MONGOL delves into the dramatic and harrowing early years of the ruler who was born as Temudgin in 1162. As it follows Temudgin from his perilous childhood to the battle that sealed his destiny, the film paints a multidimensional portrait of the future conqueror, revealing him not as the evil brute of hoary stereotype, but as an inspiring, fearless and visionary leader. MONGOL shows us the making of an extraordinary man, and the foundation on which so much of his greatness rested: his relationship with his wife, Borte, his lifelong love and most trusted advisor.

Filmed in the very lands that gave birth to Genghis Khan, MONGOL transports us back to a distant and exotic period in world history; to a nomad’s landscape of endless space, climatic extremes and ever-present danger. In a performance of powerful stillness and subtlety, celebrated young Japanese actor Asano Tadanobu (Zatoitchi, Last Life In The Universe) captures the inner fire that enabled a hunted boy to become a legendary conqueror. Asano’s achievement is matched by those of his co-stars, including the radiant newcomer Khulan Chuluun as Temudgin’s courageous, spirited wife Borte, and the Chinese actor Honglei Sun (The Road Home) as the Mongol chieftain Jamukha, Temudgin’s dearest friend and deadliest enemy. Masterfully blending action and emotion against some of the most arresting terrain on earth, Bodrov delivers an exciting and awe-inspiring tale of survival and triumph, and a love story for the ages.

Newcomer Tuomas Kantelinen’s score for Mongol is a grand, barbaric symphonic onslaught.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 902 2
    Release Date: 06/03/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    MOST AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    That's great news! Good to see Tuomas get the wider recognition he deserves by having a score released by one of the major labels!
    punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Newcomer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Newcomer?

Yeah i thought of that too.

Only if you lived in a hole for the past 10 years or so, that would be, Tuomas Kantelinen a newcomer.

Or USA.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    ARN 2 TRAILER

The sequel for Scandinavia's biggest budget feature Arn - Knight Templar is in the works and Tuomas is composing and recording this month. Check out the movie's trailer:

http://www.kantelinen.net/
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    Mongol CD cover and tracklisting:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D902%2D2

1. Beginning
    2. At the Fireplace*
    3. Blood Brothers
    4. Chase 1*
    5. Fighting Boys
    6. Temlidgin's Escape
    7. Funeral and Robbery*
    8. Together Now
    9. Love Theme
    10. Chase 2*
    11. Cold Winter
    12. Merkit Territory
    13. Attack
    14. Martial Rage
    15. Jamukha Is Following
    16. Slavery
    17. Long Journey
    18. Destiny
    19. Joy in Mongolia*
    20. Final Battle, Showing Strenght
    21. Final Battle, Tactical Order
    22. Final Battle, The First Attachment
    23. Final Battle, Death by Arrows
    24. Tengri's Help
    25. Victory to Khan
    26. No Mercy
    *Composed And Performed by Altan Urag

I can't decipher the track times but it seems it's Kantelinen's longest score release ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    And may i re-direct everyone who hasn't given a spin yet, to the MONGOL extended sound clips in the composer's website, at http://www.kantelinen.net/mongol.html . This is one of the most important releases this year, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anyone else besides Erik heard ARN btw? What are your thoughts? (Steven?) I was closely involved with this score as some of the middle eastern instrument soli were performed by some fellow Cypriot musicians whom i brought in contact with Tuomas and I really consider it to be one of the year's most underrated scores, i'd really love to hear if other people liked it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    I've only heard two scores by Kantelinen (Mindhunters and Mother of Mine) and think both of them are very good - especially the latter. I'm really looking forward to Mongol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Four things going for it... and one thing not... and that one thing will be the reason this score doesn't sell.

Going for it...

- Great composer
    - Air Studios, London - with a great London session orchestra
    - Geoff Foster, engineer
    - released by Varese

Against it...

- No one has heard of this movie. And that one thing - being such a low profile film - is going to overshadow the good points and kill the album sales wise. Unfortunately, this is going to be another Christopher Gordon On The Beach. Magnificent score that no one has heard.

Now, I'm going to do my best to get this score heard on my show... as well as the dozens of other score piling up... I don't have that much power to help sell more.

So sad...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Strangely enough, there's been a real marketing blitz to get people to see MONGOL in Sydney. I may go this weekend.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Anyone else besides Erik heard ARN btw? What are your thoughts? (Steven?) I was closely involved with this score as some of the middle eastern instrument soli were performed by some fellow Cypriot musicians whom i brought in contact with Tuomas and I really consider it to be one of the year's most underrated scores, i'd really love to hear if other people liked it too.

I have enjoyed this one since I came across it.

It's a style of scoring that I've not heard much from Tuomas before and he seems to have got that balance between bombast, emotion and ethnic colouring just right. A cue such as "Ökenjakt" highlights this.

BTW, Demetris, do you get a credit on the artwork? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    No, my players do though. Stavros and Pavlos Choplaros smile