• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015 edited
    112 film scores declared eligible for Oscar:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/oscar … 201663663/

"Among the eligible feature-film titles are the final three scores from the late James Horner: “The 33”, “Wolf Totem” and “Southpaw.” And the exec committee OK’d the Ennio Morricone score for “Hateful Eight,” which includes about 30 minutes of new material along with several minutes of old scores written by him. Notable exclusions include “Love & Mercy” (Atticus Ross), “Crimson Peak” (Fernando Velázquez), “The Revenant” (Alva Noto and Ryûichi Sakamoto) and “Youth” (David Lang)."

According to the Academy, “To be eligible, the original score must be a substantial body of music that serves as original dramatic underscoring, and must be written specifically for the motion picture by the submitting composer. Scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other preexisting music, diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs, or assembled from the music of more than one composer shall not be eligible.”
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Crimson Peak not eligible? Why the hell not?
    I know it wouldn't get nominated but that's not the point.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    Might not have submitted papers in time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. What a donkey, IF that is the case hehe. biggrin
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2015
    I think if they realize that they don't have a chance then what's the point of taking the time to do so. You'll also notice Jupiter Ascending isn't on the list either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Wasn't there a particularly high profile film that wasn't nominated because of a mess up with the submission to be added to the list of contenders one year?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Once Upon a Time in America is a very famous case. They didn't make it to the submission deadline, therefore Morricone wasn't nominated.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. 2016/2017:

Mica Levi for “Jackie”
    Justin Hurwitz for “La La Land”
    Hauschka, Dustin O’Halloran for “Lion”
    Nicholas Britell for “Moonlight”
    Thomas Newman for “Passengers”
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. It would have been worth starting a new topic for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It would have been worth starting a new topic for this.

Perhaps, but not for the nominees themselves. Talk about underwhelming!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

You read the list, right?
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote

Perhaps you could instead delete "2015" from the thread header? smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh snap.
  8. sleep

La La Land will win, and is indeed the most deserving of those nominees, but it will not be for the right reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't even know who those people are, except Newman. Are they film composers?
  9. Dustin O'Halloran has been around for a while, from what my Spotify says (Hauschka isn't a film composer though), Hurwitz scored Whiplash for the same director before, Levi has a rock background and did Under the Skin which most of people hated, Britell is a relative newcomer, but has scored before (including Natalie Portman's directing debut).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Except for Newman (and Levi, but only due to UNDER THE SKIN), I also had to check IMDB to see if they had done anything worthwhile in the past.

Hurwitz did Chazelle's last film WHIPLASH, which was excellent, but there wasn't much in terms of original score. It's mostly diegetic drumming.

Dustin O'Halloran has done several movies, most famously MARIE ANTOINETTE, but I can't remember much of it. His co-composer, Volker Bertelmann, has only done one movie I've seen - THE BOY (which was so-so). Can't remember anything of the music.

Nicholas Britell seems to be on a rise these days, with both THE BIG SHORT and FREE STATE OF JONES in the last year, in addition to MOONLIGHT. I didn't care for any of the movies.

I don't mind new and rising talent being nominated over established composers, but it would be an advantage if I actually enjoyed some of their music -- either in the past or for any of the nominees.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Also, I think Newman just became the most-nominated person still alive NOT to get an Oscar.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And he certainly won't be getting one for this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Whiplash is the only film scored by any of the others that I've seen. Decent enough, but nothing you'd want to listen to away from the film of course.
  10. I really like LA LA LAND. Hurwitz came out of nowhere on that one. It's the happiest, most memorable, and most fun film scores to come along in years. I was underwhelmed by PASSENGERS. I disliked JACKIE. I haven't taken the time to listen to the other two, most because I don't hear any film score fans speaking well of them.
  11. christopher wrote
    I really like LA LA LAND. Hurwitz came out of nowhere on that one. It's the happiest, most memorable, and most fun film scores to come along in years. I was underwhelmed by PASSENGERS. I disliked JACKIE. I haven't taken the time to listen to the other two, most because I don't hear any film score fans speaking well of them.

My feelings verbatim.
  12. On the upside, the IFMCA will never have a better opportunity to show how they are not the same as the music branch. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017
    I'm sure the IFMCA lists will be very different, but I've never really felt at home, taste-wise, with neither the Oscars nor the IFMCA. I'm kinda off into my own thing. :D
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Also, I think Newman just became the most-nominated person still alive NOT to get an Oscar.

Wow! I didn't realize he's never won! There were so many times he deserved it. What a shame that he most likely won't win...again. It sounds like La La Land will take it.
  14. Thor wrote
    I'm kinda off into my own thing. :D

Sigh. These words did not need to be posted on the internet.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2017
    True. They're rather self-evident.
    I am extremely serious.